Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2009, 13:27   #1

Boat: Looking...
Mariner 28

Does anyone have any experience with the Mariner 28?

I have been looking around on the web and haven't found too much. There is an owner's site for all models of Mariners without too much specific to the 28. So I figured I'd try the good old forum and see if anyone out there owns/has owned/sailed one.

I understand they are older and would need a good survey and some updating, etc. All that teak inside sure does look nice though!

Thanks,
Bill
Old 31-03-2009, 13:59   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Bill,
There are two different Mariner Sailboats out there. One is a traditional with bow sprit and usually ketch and the other is an all fiberglass sloop with a modern spoon bow. They are quite different. I believe the 28 you are talking about is the latter and has a skylight hatch above the salon table? I've sailed both and the more modern has a bit better deck, cabin construction but the skylight hatch always leaks.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 07:12   #3

Realizing that this is an older post, I bought a 1978 Mariner 28 last Fall. I spent a lot of time working and got her in the water at the end of the summer. This is a very high quality boat, similar to Sabre 28s in quality. I've only sailed her 5 times, so I am not an expert, but she sails very nicely. Mine was an abandoned Yard boat, so the purchase price was low, but she needs an engine and re wireing. Hull and deck are very solid. Biggest issue so far is a rotted cabin sole. The bilge is very shallow, which may lead to this. Other than that all the problems are delayed maintance. There is not a lot of information on the boats around. If you find a well cared for boat, you will be happy!
Lou
Medusa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 19:10   #4

Aloha Lou,
You got any photos of your Mariner 28? If you click on my profile you'll see my old Mariner 35. Much different, eh?
kind regards,
Old 19-11-2010, 14:46   #5

Skipper,
That sure is a beautiful boat! I have some photos of mine, which I will post as soon as I fugure out how! It is amazing how many different Mariner Yacht companies there are! I'll get the photos up soon!

lou
Old 20-11-2010, 09:41   #6

Yes, even O'Day had a Mariner. I believe it was a 19.
My wife and I got married on a Mariner about the size and shape of yours.
kind regards,
Old 20-11-2010, 09:44   #7

Aloha Lou,
Yes, even O'Day has a Mariner. I believe to be 19 feet.
My wife and I got married on a Mariner about the size of yours but maybe just a bit larger?
kind regards,
Old 22-11-2010, 05:36   #8

Pictures posted!

I posted a few pictures this AM. I pulled the YSM 12 this weekend, and will be rebuilding it over the winter.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:46   #9

Re: Mariner 28

Hello other Mariner 28's

From what we have found out, the Mariner 28 was manufactured in Rochester, NH. It is very similar to a 28' Sabre.
Our 28 was formerly named Kinda Nice, and was located in the Penobscot Bay area. We are very pleased with the boat. Ours had some issues when we bought it, mostly from sitting without attention. A window was not secured and other opening were left open, etc, and the cabin floor had suffered for it. But, the basic boat is rock solid and it sails very nicely. We have owned the boat since 1997.
Like any other boat owner, we have made changes. The boat was re-wired, and has been re-powered. The Yanmar just did not have enough power against current and winds in coastal Maine. The other changes have been cosmetic - redid the interior cushions, put in a larger galley sink (we would not pay $500.00 for a sink, so we installed a very large stainless steel mixing bowl bought for under $10.00 - installed a proper drain and I have the most awesome sink ever!), sanded and varnished, etc.
We really like the Mariner 28' and if you can find a sound one, would recomend it highly.

207 Billie
207 Billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 13:13   #10

Post Re: Mariner 28

Hi I recently purchased a 1977 Mariner 28 at a auction in Maine. She needed some engine work done to the 1 lunger desiel, a new radio and is missing the stove. I love the boat so far, and she sail like a dream, has class! The issues I'm have are leaks thru the deck along the inside hand rail, getting worse with every rainstorm, the head will not work properly, a lot of valves, a mystery, and today when I had the water tanks filled for the first time, leaks all over the place, rugs soaked, ect. The teak is wonderful though, trying to protect it from all the h2o. Does the handrail come apart from inside under the liner? My list of winter projects is getting quite long. Any advice??
thanks, john
johnring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Mariner 28?

I have been looking around on the web and haven't found too much. There is an owner's site for all models of Mariners without too much specific to the 28. So I figured I'd try the good old forum and see if anyone out there owns/has owned/sailed one.

I understand they are older and would need a good survey and some updating, etc. All that teak inside sure does look nice though!

Thanks,
Bill
Bill I have a mariner 28 in port Huron Michigan ready to go to the scrapyard motors fine sales are great it's ready to go More info(810) 488-3768 calvinsmelvin
Calvinmelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:54   #12

I have a mariner28 in port Huron Michigan if you're interested Everything's ready to go Give me a call (810) 488-3768
Calvinmelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 13:11   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^

Calvin, you are responding to a post from 2009. I suggest that you make a new post in the classified section if you really want responses.

Good luck!

Jim