Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2012, 23:58   #1

Boat: looking to buy
Looking to Get a Boat

I lived aboard for about 10 years in Florida. I survived a few hurricanes while on the hook so I must have done something right. I swallowed the anchor about 10 years ago and moved to North Carolina. The boats I had were not in condition to sail but I originally did have a Gulfstar 41 ketch which I sailed from CT to Fl so I can sail.

I'm 65 and retired now, get SS and can better afford to live aboard again. I'm considering getting a medium sized boat 25-30 feet and move back to Florida then do some island hopping from there. I have about $5000 cash right now but I'm planning on working and bringing that up to $10K or so to get a boat.

I've seen some threads about suitable boats and many recommendations lean toward lots of fancy equipment etc... i.e. expensive solutions. However, I well remember that a few boaters in Boot Key Harbor had pocket cruisers and managed to island hop quite well. I don't trust swing-keels, they seem too vulnerable. I helped out at a diesel repair shop so I have a good idea just how expensive repairs for those can be. I'd rather use an outboard which can be easily tossed and another acquired.

My family consists of three rabbits, no wife and no desire to ever festoon my boat with that sort of anchor.

Any ideas what might be a good boat for me?
Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 01:40   #2

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: looking to get a boat

Welcome to CF.

If you take a look at the Cruising on $500 per month thread you'll find a heap of suggestions, and about a months continuous reading on all kinds of budget cruising stuff.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 04:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Usagi.

Pearson Triton 28
Albin Vega 27
Contessa 26
Cape Dory 25D
Catalina 27
Alberg 30
Bristol 27

From John Vigor’s "Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere"
http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Small-S.../dp/0939837323

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 19:58   #4

I'm still looking. I got a job and I'm saving quite quickly.

@GordyMay Thanks for the suggestion. I got the book and the bristol-27 looks to be a good boat. Actually the 29 and 30 seems equally good. I think I like the few extra feet. I lived aboard a 30 foot Clipper (not the style but the calif. mfg) so the bit more room seems enticing. Also the Bristol 30's can be had for between $5 and $15 thousand. That's about where my budget is at.

I looked at one but I got the feeling that the decks was water-logged. They seemed spongy and the pictures that I had been shown were obviously years old. I bought a moisture meter which I'll take on my next look-see at a potential boat.

I do wonder about the galley in the 30's. Most have it on the starboard side. It's a hard choice. That would be better in port but at sea I would expect the galley to be nearly useless. But since more time is probably spent in port this might be the better choice. Any thoughts on this?

I'm more or less ready to buy but one problem is that I'd like to move the boat close to where I live-- coastal North Carolina. Working makes that rather difficult. Any ideas on how to cheaply get a boat moved from one point to another?

I plan on coughing up the anchor -- (I swallowed it about 10 years ago) -- this coming spring.

I should probably mention this because a few out there might remember me. I used to deliver water to boats anchored in Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, Florida.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29   #5

Boat: Alberg 37
Re: Looking to Get a Boat

Well, all the boats listed would do. I think that if you plan on living on her, unless you are going to be sailing her a lot, the "dock model" would be your best bet. A dinette version would give you a lot more comfort 90+% of the time. Now the other question is you height; how much standing headroom to you want/need? A B27 is a great boat (I know, I have one for sale on a trailer), but at 6'2", I hit my head when I forget to slouch. So we upgraded. Figure out what you need and get just that much boat.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:25   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Here's a Bristol 27 in Oriental, NC. with oversized engine.

1974 Bristol 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:34   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

If you like the size of 30 over a 27 then cross of the Contessa. They have the interior size of a 24 with very low headroom. However, they are by far a great sailer.
Get the boat that has the best feel to it when you go below. You'll probably be spending some time there as a liveaboard.
kind regards,
Old 06-07-2012, 22:16   #8

@thomm225 - Thanks for the reference to the B-27 in Oriental NC, . I had seen that one in my voyages through the boats on yachtworld. I plan on going to Oriental next week to look at it. There's another in Bath NC but it's a centerboard which I don't really like. Still, I'll swing by there and look at that one. As was suggested, I can try them on for fit and get a better idea if a particular boat would work well for me. I have decided that a diesel would be best. Living cheaply I could save a nest egg in case it needs work or another disaster happens.

All I've actually seen so far is a Bristol 30. It was the dinette style with the galley on the port side. It seemed roomy and comfortable enough. The Clipper that I had was totally rebuilt by a friend and had a very unique layout. The front had no v-berth. It was seating and a computer station. It had the galley on the starboard side and two quarter berths which I found quite comfortable. I'm 5'10" so the Bristols have enough headroom, though none to spare.

@SkiprJohn - Yes, I've pretty much settled on the Bristol.

I'm also aware that it becomes even more of a buyers market as fall approaches and people dread the storage charges for the winter. There will likely be more for sale at that time and at better prices.

I've been reading here a LOT and it really brings back memories from when I lived aboard. I devoured the "You know you are a liveaboard if..." So many of those are really true. I am SO anxious to get back to that lifestyle!
Old 06-07-2012, 23:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Usagi,

Take a look at yacht world. And search in the midatlantic for under 35' and under $25,000 (some negotiating room).

I found what looks to be a very nice Pearson 35 with a new engine, and in good repair for an asking of $16,000. http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=2428&url=

A needs work Irwin 32 for $6,500. 1971 Irwin 32- DIESEL- two boat owner- make offer! Sail Boat

And a couple more that looked like pretty good deals if you are handy and willing to put in the time as opposed to cash.

Personally for a live aboard I would go as large as I could. And for a boat in this price range, with the current owners looking at a few thousand dollars to store it over the winter (mid-Atlantic region) just getting rid of it now as opposed to next spring could make a big difference in the take home money for the current owner.

Right now I would be offering 1/2 or less of asking price and see what happens.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:59   #10

Boat: Alberg 37

If you get onto face book, the Bristol 27 group has a guy with a B27 for sale for $10k. Outboard and water maker; in the DR (he just sailed it down, and would probably sail it back with you to help you get used to her; he seems like a nice kid). I've got one for sale too, but it doesn't sound like you need a trailer (although they sell faster than boats!). There was a guy with a nice B27 up in Augusta Maine who posted it in Craigs; $3k cruising model. I can put you in touch if you want. It was reasonably priced, and you still have time to bring her down the coast before H season.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:14   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
@thomm225 - Thanks for the reference to the B-27 in Oriental NC, . I had seen that one in my voyages through the boats on yachtworld. I plan on going to Oriental next week to look at it. There's another in Bath NC but it's a centerboard which I don't really like. Still, I'll swing by there and look at that one. As was suggested, I can try them on for fit and get a better idea if a particular boat would work well for me. I have decided that a diesel would be best. Living cheaply I could save a nest egg in case it needs work or another disaster happens.

All I've actually seen so far is a Bristol 30. It was the dinette style with the galley on the port side. It seemed roomy and comfortable enough. The Clipper that I had was totally rebuilt by a friend and had a very unique layout. The front had no v-berth. It was seating and a computer station. It had the galley on the starboard side and two quarter berths which I found quite comfortable. I'm 5'10" so the Bristols have enough headroom, though none to spare.

@SkiprJohn - Yes, I've pretty much settled on the Bristol.

I'm also aware that it becomes even more of a buyers market as fall approaches and people dread the storage charges for the winter. There will likely be more for sale at that time and at better prices.

I've been reading here a LOT and it really brings back memories from when I lived aboard. I devoured the "You know you are a liveaboard if..." So many of those are really true. I am SO anxious to get back to that lifestyle!
Usagi,

There is a J27 up here for sale that has caught my eye. I might be more of a racing type sailor than a cruiser.

I might be able to let my boat go for $7,900.00. (firm) I have a new main on order which would go with it. The engine is a 2012 Mercury 4 stroke outboard on a bracket. It can easily be removed and mounted on the aft railing.

Understand though that the whole boat needs to be painted inside and out but it is totally functional. For more info check out the links below:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...27s-55673.html

Bristol27.com » Hull #335 – Winter Dream

Tom
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 20:11   #12

It's a few months later. The job dried up and I have been looking for another. I am hoping that an interview I had a few days ago pans out. If so I should be back to work soon and saving again. The loss of my job and my ability to save dampened my spirits for a bit but I'm looking again for a boat. There also is a possibility that I may win a lawsuit and get a small windfall which would finance a nice boat. So I'm cautiously looking at somewhat more expensive boats now.

I had thought a Bristol 30 would be a good boat. One in good condition probably would be. However when I went to the Boston area to see a number of B-30's, they were all in pitiful condition. Severe water intrusion into the balsa core was one of the major problems. The owners seemed unaware that they were asking a ridiculous amount for a boat that would require a huge outlay in order to bring it into condition. Sadly, many of the pictures on yachtworld are of the vessel as it was years ago when it was cared for. I think in the future I'll insist on seeing pictures that have a date-stamp before I waste time and money on travel. So, weary from the travel to look at a number of derelicts I decided that I need to widen my search so I might encounter a suitable vessel without traveling huge distances.

Since people have crossed oceans in bathtubs and similar vessels, I've widened my search to include a lot more boats. I've set up a spreadsheet which calculates ballast to length ratio, ballast to displacement ratios and a bunch of other numbers that relate to seaworthiness. By studying the numbers, I have been surprised to discover more than a few boats that are good candidates. I have seen the B-27 in Oriental. It hasn't been cared for. I don't want a "project boat." Gawd knows there are enough "projects" in a sound boat. The B-27 was also far too small, so I'm getting more interested in boats that are about 33 feet or so, maybe even as large as 36 feet. The limitation is just how much boat will I be able to handle 10-20 years from now (when I'm 75-85). I seem to be leaning toward heavy displacement since I believe they have a tendency to have a more comfortable motion and as a bonus could carry more payload. I'm searching yachtworld for anything under $40,000 and 36 feet or less in length.

I also have learned that a good broker might be an immense help in finding a suitable boat but I haven't had any luck in finding a good, hungry broker yet.

So I'm still looking for help and advice.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:36   #13
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Maybe look for some boats by older builders. I just bought a 1969 Columbia 36, with a 90% refit just finished for 10k. Mine was a special deal because the husband had the refit done and came up with an aggressive cancer and died before he could ever sail the boat.
still, there are lots of good deals on these old superthick, solid hulled boats.
Good luck and fair winds to you, my friend.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:59   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If you are widening your search, how about something from Europe like this? okay it's stretching the budget and they would have to take your offer but you never know. It would be very comfortable to live on.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	49195  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:23   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Well, being able to spot a pile of poo before writing the cheque puts you in a good starting place , even if the price of that is a slower boat purchase than some others can acheive - but the upside likely less repenting at leisure......

.....as I am sure you are only too well aware - budget is everything. Either when you buy, or after. With less of the former likely that will be more of the latter......

Keep us all posted .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote