Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2013, 08:29   #1

Looking for boat recomendations

Hi Everyone. I have prowled the forum for a long time and learned so much. I have a question I hope I can get some advice on from those knowledgeable in yacht design and dynamics.

First,some quick background. I choose to sail without and engine, except for the small kicker I keep on my dinghy. I also do not use roller furling, favoring hank on sails. I am getting ready to move up from my 27 foot Albin Vega which is a masthead rig, and i am wondering if there is any rig better suited to my style of sailing, that would increase my maneuverability and easy of sail handling; or is the basic Bermuda rig the best option.

I have seen the discussions in favor or the Rig I have but they seem to assume auxiliary power a roller furling.

I sincerely appreciate any advice. Thank you all in advance.
svgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 08:49   #2

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Re: Looking for boat recomendations

Are you single handing?

What size boat are you considering?

When you look at the modern high-aspect mains the headsail can suddenly loom huge in terms of how much sail area you are trying to control on your own.

For maneuvering sans engine (or single-handing) a yawl or ketch offers some nice attractions. Tighten the mizzen to hold her nose to wind while you work the flogging sails, reduced area of individual sails, ability to back sails to maneuver.

More complicated standing rigging, however.
Charlie P. ('87 Pearson 31-2 #80 CATNAP)
Stumpkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 09:03   #3

Thanks for the reply. I sail with my wife and two young kids. I have help sometimes, but often one of us is occupied with the kids.

As for size, I am looking in the 30 to 35 range. I am trying to gain a little more storage and bunk space for our trip south this winter. We had planned to go in our Vega and still will if we don't find anything that suits us better. Thanks again.
svgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 09:28   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
Are you single handing?

What size boat are you considering?

When you look at the modern high-aspect mains the headsail can suddenly loom huge in terms of how much sail area you are trying to control on your own.

For maneuvering sans engine (or single-handing) a yawl or ketch offers some nice attractions. Tighten the mizzen to hold her nose to wind while you work the flogging sails, reduced area of individual sails, ability to back sails to maneuver.

More complicated standing rigging, however.
+1. Ketch/yawl gives you more close quarters/slow boat handling options under sail only.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 12:45   #5

I think you will find that vega hard to beat for ease of handling. I would not want to consider a 2 masted rig for engineless sailing unless it was self tending junk type. I'm right now looking for another albin vega having sold ours last year. enginless suits me just fine.give me a shout if you are serious about selling it
lars is offline   Reply With Quote