Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2006, 14:07   #1

Looking for a Cruising Sailboat !

Hello everyone!

I have been considerig the option to purchase a sailboat. Myself, and my family (my lovely wife and my three precious kids) collectively decided to go cruising for 4 years. I really like the Columbia 45. The part that I get confused is that some people call the Columbia 45 a motorsailor and others a sailboat. I want a sailboat that points well, with a good motor to do some motoring as well. I guess I want both. Any sugestion in terms of my confusion? Is a Columbia 45 a good sailboat as well as a motorsailor? In addition of the C45, I have also been looking at; Schock Santana 39', Cal 39', and the C &C sloop 39'. Any suggestion on what be a good afforable sailboat for cruising? Your advice is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 21-01-2006, 14:46   #2

Boat: currently "on the beach"
The old description of a motorsailor is a boat that does not do either one very well. They were the early attempts at satisfying the needs of a live aboard.
If you use the search option and punch in keywords such as live aboard, which boat, aft cabin......you will find a lot of good reading. It takes a while to sort through priorities. We need to know your plans, budget, experience. Welcome !

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006, 16:11   #3
Kai Nui

So you are trying to decide between a Volkswagen, a Ferrarri, and a pick up truck. Well, it really depends on where you want to cruise. As far as living space, the Columbia 45 is a good option. For a blue water boat, it is not ideal. The Shock is fast, but will not be as comfortable. You need to do some extensive shopping. You also need to do some sailing on some of these boats, or similar boats to get a feel for what works for you. If you are talking coastal cruising, some inland waterways, maybe Mexico, the Columbia will be a good boat.
Larry's assessment of motor sailors is accurate, but for some, they are a good option. Performance is substandard compared to a motor boat, or sail boat of the same size, but the versitility is valuable for cruising certain areas.
Old 30-01-2006, 13:37   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Soon2b, If you are looking for a turn key Cruiser take a look here.

http://yachtbroker.escapeartist.com/...446/index.html

This is our boat that we have been cruising for 14 years and is fully equipped and proven over the years to be a great comfortable boat. She is loaded with anything you and you family will need to make cruising safe and comfortable. Good luck on your search. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 22:01   #5

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
Go buy the CHEAPEST working sailboat you can find. As long as it has sails, keel, mast, it floats and its CHEAP. Take this ship-of-fools to somewhere protected and give it a whirl.

Was that fun? Did you enjoy yourself? Is the boat still afloat and intact? If you answered yes to all of these: Get yourself on a crew of a racing boat, probably as a piece of movable ballast. This puts your learning curve on fast forward. At the same time, sail the cheap boat 'till either it sinks, breaks or you understand why it was so cheap.

If your still sailing and happy, dump the cheap boat and buy something a little more fitting.

This should take a year or two? But you will be on the water by next week.

You really can't get sailing from a books and lecture, you have to attend lab as well.

Have fun!!

-jim lee
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 13:55   #6

Boat: Columbia, Sloop, 45
Send a message via Yahoo to cruiser6003
Late comer to this discussion

To the original poster of this question... I own a '73 vintage C-45. It is indeed a MOTOR/Sailor. I am a full time livaboard and so prime concern to me was living space and comfort. I also cruise but not far yet. I was seriously looking at trawlers and this boat is closer to a trawler than a sailboat. It will point to 50 or 55 degrees and only carries abt 700 sq ft of sail.

But... my particular boat is a seasoned Caribbean cruiser. Extremely comfortable motion at sea. With the right winds and course she will make 8 kts easily. I have seen PHRF ratings all over the place on this boat but she is no pig in the water. In addition, I have a huge 85hp perkins and 130 gallons of diesel giving me a range of well over 1000 miles on engine alone with reserve.

You will find space for EVERYTHING you desire and with kids that could mean a lot to you. The prices are way down on this boat now and is a real bargain. No, mine is NOT for sale.

Joel Wilkins
C-45, #98
M/S Miss Magoo
S. Pasadena, FL
m/s Miss Magoo, Columbia 45, #98
cruiser6003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 16:24   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
The Mariner that Chuck has is a beauty. I can attest to the fact that Mariners are very seaworthy and are plenty roomy. His is a fiberglass version. I had mine and lived aboard for several years as well as sailed the Pacific with her. I'd still have her except she was a wooden boat and I had to leave her on the west coast.
regards,
Old 09-08-2011, 21:48   #8

Boat: Columbia 43 "Big Dinghy"
Re: Looking for a Cruising Sailboat!

Buy the Columbia, there is just something about those old girls.... I have had 3, a 30 a 34 and a 43. I am currently looking for a 45 too. I love everything about the except the but ugly pilot house window which made me chose the 43 before. I am planning to change the windows. Most motorsailors have almost a hybrid hull between a power boat and a sail. The C-45 is an all sailboat hull. Same mold as the 43 with a couple extra feet. For the extra room and speed, it is a very small drop in performance. Go Columbia- a boat ahead of there time
larson2032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:22   #9

Re: Looking for a Cruising Sailboat !

Hello people of the sea,
I would like some advice. I'm a newb and want to get my own boat. I'm looking at a Morgan 45 which has got my attention but I did a bit of research and people are talking these boats down. Whats wrong with the Morgans? Why have they got a bad rap? The boat "looks" good and has a nice layout for liveaboard. Please keep in mind that I'm not a racer and don't need perfomance so much as functionality.
Thanks Steve
Stevediveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:46   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevediveski View Post
Hello people of the sea,
I would like some advice. I'm a newb and want to get my own boat. I'm looking at a Morgan 45 which has got my attention but I did a bit of research and people are talking these boats down. Whats wrong with the Morgans? Why have they got a bad rap? The boat "looks" good and has a nice layout for liveaboard. Please keep in mind that I'm not a racer and don't need perfomance so much as functionality.
Thanks Steve
Hi Steve,
If you post a new thread with the title Morgan 45 in the monohull section you'll get more answers. I don't know Morgans but have seen one with the side of the hull deformed and it doesn't look like an accident. That's the only one I've noticed.
Old 18-02-2014, 15:41   #11

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

The only people who bad mouth Morgans, don't know the first thing about sailboats!
I don't know much about the 45, but every other one is a respected cruiser built like a tank! They are not fast, but you can add sail when everyone else is reefing. I helped put in some through hulls on a 38 footer and drilled through about 2 1/2 inch's of fiberglass. Kinda like the West sails!
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 17:00   #12
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim lee View Post
Go buy the CHEAPEST working sailboat you can find. As long as it has sails, keel, mast, it floats and its CHEAP. Take this ship-of-fools to somewhere protected and give it a whirl.

Was that fun? Did you enjoy yourself? Is the boat still afloat and intact? If you answered yes to all of these: Get yourself on a crew of a racing boat, probably as a piece of movable ballast. This puts your learning curve on fast forward. At the same time, sail the cheap boat 'till either it sinks, breaks or you understand why it was so cheap.

If your still sailing and happy, dump the cheap boat and buy something a little more fitting.

This should take a year or two? But you will be on the water by next week.

You really can't get sailing from a books and lecture, you have to attend lab as well.

Have fun!!

-jim lee
Best Advice
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 20:32   #13

In case anyone stumbles into this old thread like I did, the Columbia 45 with the deep draft fin keel and ketch rig configuration sails well and motors well. Her hull form is based on her well-respected little sister, the Columbia 43. Her reduction in sail area is due to her raised deckhouse, which requires the boom to be higher above deck. The deep draft fin keel ketch rig has a sail-area-to-displacement ratio comparable to the 43.

If you want to know more, here's a full review: Columbia 45 Review | Which Sailboat?
sethpool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sailboat