Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2011, 16:58   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Learning During the Selling Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
As I told Witzgall on the phone today...I want to feel good about this...I believe that when a sale is a good one...most everyone involved wins...and you can feel good about it...
Sorry, I missed this earlier and not to sound mean but this probably isn't going to happen. Try to look at it like a business transaction which is really all it is.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 19:30   #32

Boat: Island Packet 370

Hi High Heels:

I've been wrong before & might be wrong again in feeling
the great recession will take about 15 years to recover from.
Here in Florida there isn't any housing recovery. Lots of
people want to remain mobile so buying a house isn't the
direction to go in. Who knows what a house might be worth
just five years from now?

People use their homes in various ways to make their boating
dream happen. So until housing recovers the sale of boats
will likely remain a painful place to be. I doubt waiting a
year or two in order to achieve a higher price for any boat is
going to be helpful. Does waiting two or so months then taking
the best offer feel right ?

Respectfully,
Paul
BeenThereAteIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 22:24   #33

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

We decided to sell our Hans Christian 34T recently. Before I could put a For Sale sign on her, she was sold. I responded to an ad on Craig's List looking for a somewhat similar boat. Quick and painless, I'm sure there are others out there like our buyer. They were willing to pay my asking price, though I knocked off two grand for things I hadn't done yet...gladly!
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29   #34

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As a seller, you have to ask yourself "What's the cost of not selling my boat?" The extra storage and maintenance fees are only a fraction of the cost. First, if you had the money (instead of the boat) you could invest it. Second, if you are planning to buy a boat to replace it, you miss out on some excellent deals in today's market.
This is an extremely valid point.

Two examples. First, I listed Espina for sale at $15k in 2008. No sale, and an additional $1500 gone for storage and insurance. Ditto for 2009, and 2010. I finally ended up knocking her down to $8000 but the only buyer offered $7500 plus the rewiring of the electrical system. So given that I would be out another $1500 in about 4 weeks time, it was a no brainer. SOLD.

Second. I just picked up a nice little 25 foot sloop for my mental health as I start a major refit on Sabre Dance, my 38 foot Roberts which I plan on living aboard. The owner of Kona Winds had her listed in Kijiji at $3500. I went down and paid him cash for a boat that I expect will survey out at somewhere around $10k. His reason for accepting my offer? He had until June 1st to get her out of Ontario Place, or face an upfront storage fee of $4000. That's a tad extreme but its the situation he found himself in.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 16:48   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
This is an extremely valid point.

Two examples. First, I listed Espina for sale at $15k in 2008. No sale, and an additional $1500 gone for storage and insurance. Ditto for 2009, and 2010. I finally ended up knocking her down to $8000 but the only buyer offered $7500 plus the rewiring of the electrical system. So given that I would be out another $1500 in about 4 weeks time, it was a no brainer. SOLD.

Second. I just picked up a nice little 25 foot sloop for my mental health as I start a major refit on Sabre Dance, my 38 foot Roberts which I plan on living aboard. The owner of Kona Winds had her listed in Kijiji at $3500. I went down and paid him cash for a boat that I expect will survey out at somewhere around $10k. His reason for accepting my offer? He had until June 1st to get her out of Ontario Place, or face an upfront storage fee of $4000. That's a tad extreme but its the situation he found himself in.

Sabre
Having another boat would NOT be good for my mental or financial health!
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 17:34   #36

I bought and sold 3-4 boats after college. I got tired of fixing up a boat and then loosing my butt. So I decided to get the last, best boat for the money that I was willing to spend. I can put all the money/time into it that i want and because I will be keeping it until I am no longer able to sail. i will never lose money on the deal because I won't be selling it. like wives it is better to pick carefully, know exactly what you want and keep it for the duration. Buying and selling is where things get expensive.
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 18:07   #37

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Having another boat would NOT be good for my mental or financial health!
Financial health? I don't recollect ever hearing "boat" and "financial health" in the same sentence with a positive connotation. Now, mental health, that's a whole other ball o wax.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 18:24   #38

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

Thank you all for your insight and sharing your experiences.

The Eagle has landed so to speak, and an offer has been accepted.

I did take into consideration all of the slip fees, the insurance, the fact hurricane season is now upon us...didn't mean I wasn't any less disappointed in the $ amount offered...but alas, this is the softest boat market in a long time...and it is, it seems, the nature of boats. I still don't 'like it'...

I understand what you are saying Morgan...I am well aware of the value of making a purchase and then holding on to it forever...I have only had three different cars since 1987 ;0) I take a tremendous amount of time to make big decisions and sometimes it has left me in analysis paralysis...but eventually the decision is made. My better half is much different that way...he takes joy in experiencing different motorcycles, boats, cameras, etc...

Jubilee has been a wonderful sailboat for us and she served us in exactly the capacity we have needed her to...no regrets...I will miss her...and here come the waterworks...

I hope the new owners will love her and take care of her...and I know that this is supposed to be all business...but when it comes to boats, I just can't separate Spirit from Transaction...Boats are vehicles of Potential, we are their stewards...and thus when passing them on to another, it sure helps a lot to be on the same page and have the same depth of affection for them...

I knew the minute I stepped aboard Jubilee that she was the one for me...she sails like a dream...she and I connected...Thank God because I was darn tired of running up and down the coast looking for a boat...The previous Owner took us out that day for a sail...the first day we saw her...I find it so crazy that people make decisions on boats before they even sail on them...We did with our second boat and it was a huge leap of faith...we had to just trust all who had written about how a Pretorien sails that their perceptions were accurate.

Anyway, that is all that I hope that the next owners connect to her like I have and really feel it beyond just the esthetics...because she deserves that...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 18:27   #39

P.S. My 'mental health' went out the window many months ago when we listed our house ;0) It is a good thing that Cruising is the outcome of all of this change because I am going to need some time out there in the salty air after all this craziness...
Old 01-06-2011, 18:32   #40

P.S.S. I am grateful that we have a potential buyer...I don't mean to sound like such a sour puss...There is so much to be Grateful for...and as much as I love s/v Jubilee, I will now be able to move on and fully embrace s/v Alchemy...Think I will start this week with Alchemy's teak cockpit table I brought home to refinish...
Old 01-06-2011, 18:33   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Financial health? I don't recollect ever hearing "boat" and "financial health" in the same sentence with a positive connotation. Now, mental health, that's a whole other ball o wax.

Sabre
But.... good mental health can make good financial health.....

It is easier to be able to focus on business if one is not focusing on the trauma of life itself...
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 18:49   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
But.... good mental health can make good financial health.....

It is easier to be able to focus on business if one is not focusing on the trauma of life itself...
Sage advice...*Business* has never been my strong suit necessarily...I am a Myers-Briggs type ENFP or INFP depending on the day and I can write a mean poem, and am a bodyworker that can lay hands on and help facilitate healing of an individual mentally and physically...but I don't really enjoy negotiating, I don't really enjoy the game...at least not yet...I am always up for taking on new challenges in life and learning that which doesn't necessarily just come naturally...

I don't think it is the *trauma of life* I am *focusing* on but the intricacies ~ and without them I would find life boring indeed...
Old 01-06-2011, 18:55   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Sage advice...*Business* has never been my strong suit necessarily...I am a Myers-Briggs type ENFP or INFP depending on the day and I can write a mean poem, and am a bodyworker that can lay hands on and help facilitate healing of an individual mentally and physically...but I don't really enjoy negotiating, I don't really enjoy the game...at least not yet...I am always up for taking on new challenges in life and learning that which doesn't necessarily just come naturally...

I don't think it is the *trauma of life* I am *focusing* on but the intricacies ~ and without them I would find life boring indeed...
@High Heels.... I was NOT implying that you (or anyone here) is lacking in mental health. Just saying that when one is able to focus on the living of life, (as opposed to worrying about life), allows us to be better at anything we wish to accomplish.

Best
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 19:46   #44

Ah, I gotch' ya...So True!

And I will be real happy when I can get back to 'living life'...it just feels like it has been a logistical three ring circus for awhile now...
Old 02-06-2011, 06:48   #45

So h20man Thanks for you comment re: focusing on the 'trauma of life itself'...I know that I misinterpreted it...but I think I did because guess what?!? This is what I do first and plug into...I know not your intention when you commented to illuminate my corner of my awareness but you did...Thank You because I need to move on from that...So funny how people you have not even met can influence your understanding so profoundly. So Thanks!

And sorry Witzgall for highjacking your thread ;0)