Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 05:21   #46

Boat: Hylas 54
Re: larger cruising boat recommendations

Went through this process in 2015 and ended up with a Hylas 54 (original low coach roof version). Have not regretted the choice. Easy to handle with one/two. Only thing that is hard just with two is when the sails need to be taken down in the marina for the season or when a big blow is coming. They are big sails and heavy, and a handful to manage if there is any breeze.

I would NOT buy a boat with teak decks, or with a great deal of brightwork on deck. Look lovely at first but the work to keep it up gets old fast.

In my opinion, Discos and Oysters are like Range Rovers. Hylas is more like a Porsche Cayenne.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:28   #47

Boat: Wesmac 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
Went through this process in 2015 and ended up with a Hylas 54 (original low coach roof version). Have not regretted the choice. Easy to handle with one/two. Only thing that is hard just with two is when the sails need to be taken down in the marina for the season or when a big blow is coming. They are big sails and heavy, and a handful to manage if there is any breeze.

I would NOT buy a boat with teak decks, or with a great deal of brightwork on deck. Look lovely at first but the work to keep it up gets old fast.

In my opinion, Discos and Oysters are like Range Rovers. Hylas is more like a Porsche Cayenne.
Appreciate this excellent feedback. Are you saying sail handing is difficult just when removing the sails from the boat or while going out for a sail?

Second question...Is the Hylas a faster boat than the Discovery and Oyster? What makes it faster? What would speed difference be in 20 knots of air?

Thanks
offshore27ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:36   #48

Boat: Hylas 54

Sail handling just hard when in a marina haling them off the curlers. But that would be no different for any other type of vessel of that size. Sail handling is easy under sail.

I believe Hylas may be a bit more nimble than Discovery and Oyster. In 20 knots we sail at about 8.5 to 9 knots. I am sure Oyster and Disco would be about that too. But others like Island Packet would be much slower. As I said, Range Rovers and Porsche Cayenne both very nice cars, but the soul of the Porsche is just a bit more nimble than the RR. But I have never sailed the Oyster or Disco, not much in it and we carefully considered all of these along with Outbound, Amel, HR, Rival when we were buying.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:02   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore27ns View Post
Second question...Is the Hylas a faster boat than the Discovery and Oyster? What makes it faster? What would speed difference be in 20 knots of air?

Thanks
For that, you should look at SA/D and D/L ratios of individual models, and look also at LWL and draft. Not all Oysters are alike by any means. Some of them are pretty tank-like with heavy uncored hulls and full skeg rudders. Some of the more recent ones are lighter; some even have twin spade rudders, and that's something different.

Note that "fast" also is not a simple concept. A boat with a greater SA/D ratio will be faster -- within its wind range. But the same boat with a smaller rig will be faster once the wind is strong enough to require reefing.

If you are comparing Hylas 54 with Discovery 55 and say Oyster 53 from early 2000's -- these are all quite similar specs. Hylas has a bit less draft and a bit lower rig. Discovery is a bit lighter with a fully cored hull. If you want something a little sportier still, then you might look at English Moodys like my 54, which has a bit more draft, a foot more LWL, and is two metric tons lighter, than the Hylas.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 14:53   #50

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I would like to add my support for the Little Harbor 58. As an owner of six boats in my life, the one that I have is awesome to sail with two people. Previous owners of my boat have journeyed around the world in it and survived a typhoon in the Southern Pacific. There are a couple for sale on Yachtworld. 13 were made by Ted Hood and all were custom interior designs to the original owners specifications. Mine for instance has special companionway steps in the salon and master stateroom to accommodate two Basset Hounds the owner had on their trips. These boats are heavy built and very steady in heavy winds and seas. I can attest to that fact. Also with the centerboard up, it sails in shallow water very well drawing 5.5 feet. Its a high aspect cutter rig sailplane and can do 8 knots in 16 knot winds, 9 knots in 20 knot winds and does not require reefing until 23 knot winds. I have it surveyed every two years for insurance purposes and they value it at 1.5 million. Considering the keel was laid in 27 years ago, (1990) she stands up to scrutiny very well. I sail it to the Bahamas mostly, and around the southern coastal and gulf states. The only maintenance problem is the amount of teak bright work. But it's not bad to take care of if plenty of beer and wine is available for the applicator.

You might look into one, I looked for a year when I found mine. I looked another 6 months at others brands, but none measured up to the quality of the Little Harbor.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 15:25   #51

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
13 were made by Ted Hood and all were custom interior designs to the original owners specifications.
Is it good or bad?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 08:38   #52

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
I would like to add my support for the Little Harbor 58. As an owner of six boats in my life, the one that I have is awesome to sail with two people. Previous owners of my boat have journeyed around the world in it and survived a typhoon in the Southern Pacific. There are a couple for sale on Yachtworld. 13 were made by Ted Hood and all were custom interior designs to the original owners specifications. Mine for instance has special companionway steps in the salon and master stateroom to accommodate two Basset Hounds the owner had on their trips. These boats are heavy built and very steady in heavy winds and seas. I can attest to that fact. Also with the centerboard up, it sails in shallow water very well drawing 5.5 feet. Its a high aspect cutter rig sailplane and can do 8 knots in 16 knot winds, 9 knots in 20 knot winds and does not require reefing until 23 knot winds. I have it surveyed every two years for insurance purposes and they value it at 1.5 million. Considering the keel was laid in 27 years ago, (1990) she stands up to scrutiny very well. I sail it to the Bahamas mostly, and around the southern coastal and gulf states. The only maintenance problem is the amount of teak bright work. But it's not bad to take care of if plenty of beer and wine is available for the applicator.

You might look into one, I looked for a year when I found mine. I looked another 6 months at others brands, but none measured up to the quality of the Little Harbor.
I too would love a Little Harbour 58... however, unless one is prepared to fork out a shed load of cash, he is paying for perception more than better quality ofr performance.

Sorry... I love your boat but it is beyond the means of most mortals...

Cheers,
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 12:03   #53

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Is it good or bad?
Neither really, Hood sold Little Harbor to Hinkley around the time when Clinton implemented the Luxury Tax on Planes, yachts etc. That nearly wrecked the industry and the trades that supported it. By the time it was repealed, the damage was done.

As I said, the 13 boats were made to order, not factory model roll outs.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 13:42   #54

Boat: Wesmac 46

I amplanning to get on board a Hylas 56 and an Oyster asap.

leaning in this direction.

I am hoping to buy one that is in the Med or the UK. Will sail the Med for a season then sail over to the Carib and then consdier the Arc World if my family is keen to go.
offshore27ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 03:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
There are numerous problems with Southerly. Not least is their electronic integration.... the keel is very noisy if you sail downwind.. you will worry about its serviceability

Give a little more insight into the “numerous” problems with the Southerly and your experience on one please?
Skipper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 06:43   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
I believe Hylas may be a bit more nimble than Discovery and Oyster. In 20 knots we sail at about 8.5 to 9 knots. I am sure Oyster and Disco would be about that too. But others like Island Packet would be much slower.

If my IP460 doesn't go 8.5 in 20 knots of breeze I heave to and cut off the fishing net I picked up.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 15:42   #57

Island Packet 525
Amel 55
Garcia Expedition 55
Hood Expedition 55

And don't listen to anyone who tells you Island Packets are slow. Any of 3 digit models with LOA over 45' (IP420 and above) sail totally different then their smaller siblings and are, in fact, quite fast...
rostyvyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising