Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 15:28   #61

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Back to the original question, where the beam of a boat allows I feel a U shaped kitchen ideal. Unless the boat is over 50’ or you are regularly planning on feeding a crew of more than 10 it is usually a single person who will be the designated ships cook at any one time. As a chef I feel these smaller U shaped kitchens are ideal as everything is in reach without have to move. It would also be a lot easier to control the movement of various items and even yourself at sea. I really wish a lot more land based kitchen designers would apply the same logic to commercial kitchens.

Now on a tangent what I want to know is why more cruising boat designers don’t put a head and shower which can double as a wet locker directly opposite the companionway entrance? This would really help keep the rest of the boat dry and livable.
Old 09-12-2010, 15:32   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
Mmm. If this keeps up I think I might start supporting mandatory tests and driver licenses for boaters.
Damn... missed out on another freebie..... from a Racer too....
The bane of Solent/Poole ferries who have to operate in restricted waters... we had some video's of racing lately..
I too could be like that...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 15:33   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I agree with you Hiracer (not on the bit about testing - seemed a little inflammatory to me) that unless you're hove to in a storm it shouldn't apply. In a storm maybe? And certainly if you are effecting repairs.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 16:04   #64

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I agree with you Hiracer (not on the bit about testing - seemed a little inflammatory to me).
Yes, I was over the top on that. But it IS pretty basic. The definition states fairly plainly that it's not an elective status.

We have licenses required in our state (Washington State). I am exempt on account of age for a few more years, but I took the course and test with my son who was twelve at the time. He's legal to drive the boat, which makes me feel good. The scary part is that he also starts driving the car in less than a year and half.

When I was young I caused a high speed collision between sailboards on the Columbia River. The other guy put his board clean through mine. Luckily neither of us were hurt. I went about learning the rules after that.

The rule about restricted waters is a dicey one. We have container ships and oil tankers in our waters. Even though the channels might be several miles wide, with a few reefs thrown in here and there and currents that run up to three knots some of these babies have restricted manoeverability even in what many consider wide open spaces. And then they are so fast compared to normal sailboat speeds. Makes for interesting parsing of the rules. Of course being a Wuss, I just assume the worst and stay out of their way.
Old 09-12-2010, 16:09   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Now on a tangent what I want to know is why more cruising boat designers don’t put a head and shower which can double as a wet locker directly opposite the companionway entrance? This would really help keep the rest of the boat dry and livable.
My first boat didn't have that but my current one does. It helps a lot, until you have to use the head and then you wish for a bigger boat with a segregated aft wet locker.

I have hanging storage in the head for the wet gear, but it gets moldy pretty easily in there, so I find myself storing it on hooks in the head.
Old 09-12-2010, 16:22   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I agree with you Hiracer (not on the bit about testing - seemed a little inflammatory to me) that unless you're hove to in a storm it shouldn't apply. In a storm maybe? And certainly if you are effecting repairs.
Or doing long distance solo passages and need some sleep...
As I stated I'll continue to elect for the 'Not under Command' lights and sleep soundly rather than worry if I'm on the right tack... it may speed me to a lee shore... definitly the wrong tack..
I'm taking measures to avoid collision..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-12-2010, 16:30   #67

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
My first boat didn't have that but my current one does. It helps a lot, until you have to use the head and then you wish for a bigger boat with a segregated aft wet locker.

I have hanging storage in the head for the wet gear, but it gets moldy pretty easily in there, so I find myself storing it on hooks in the head.
Thanks - good info for if I ever upgrade!
Old 09-12-2010, 16:31   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Or doing long distance solo passages and need some sleep...
As I stated I'll continue to elect for the 'Not under Command' lights and sleep soundly rather than worry if I'm on the right tack... it may speed me to a lee shore... definitly the wrong tack..
I'm taking measures to avoid collision..
I'm an agreable fellow. I'll go along with that too However if someone ran in to me I would have been down below working on the engine not sleeping

Anytime some guys coming fast and showing no sign of paying attention they also get the right of why in the hummngway book of regs. Perfect opportunity to act superior and mutter, "Damn fool doesn't know the first thing ..."

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 16:38   #69

Quote:
Thanks - good info for if I ever upgrade!
If I ever got a bigger boat, which I have no aims for at this point, the living space would the same, but I would add space for a sail locker and a segregated wet locker.

Bigger wine locker too, maybe.
Old 09-12-2010, 17:03   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Mine IS a wine locker.. why dya think I'm such an angry ole buga...
Opps solo soilor....

Old 09-12-2010, 17:36   #71

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Definitely agree. One of the reasons I like my Frer's designed boat.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 18:21   #72
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
power boats donot heave to --they drift.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 18:21   #73

Boat: Bristol 40, HopeFloats
My Btristol 40 has a center line sink and a stbd galley. It is maybe the only U shaped galleys on B-40's a total one off factory custom Job. I'm very happy with it. Looks like the Bristol 38.8 galley but on the stbd side.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:58   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Negative.

Rule 3
(f) The term "vessel not under command" means a vessel which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.

Vessel not under command is most definitely not an elective status.
Is that to suggest Boatman's cooking is not exceptional?

Been a while since I read the Colregs. and no Licencing over here The two may be linked ..........but my take is that in Boatman's circumstances I would do the same (if I looked up what the not under command lights / signals were ) - if someone runs me down I expect it won't be because they didn't beleive my circumstances (or Lunch ) were exceptional enough to merit avoiding a collision.

Of course as a singlehander already open to challenge on keeping adequate lookout. and I guess that includes when cooking lunch, as well as when sleeping. But I would give more marks to heaving to (with lights / signals) than ploughing blindly on under sail - but me is not a High Court Judge, so that opinion doesn't matter
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:03   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
... opinion doesn't matter
A lot of words, but DOJ eventually gets to the crux of the matter.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote