Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 07:27   #106

Boat: Bristol 40, HopeFloats
It's also nice to have a small hatch over the the galley area to vent moisture. alittle added ventilation never hurt anyway and would add a second path for your bayleaf's.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:34   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
The phrase "exceptional circumstances" would seem to imply eating, sleeping and shitting don't qualify. In a perfect world these things are unexceptional.
Indeed!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36   #108
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
It's also nice to have a small hatch over the the galley area to vent moisture. alittle added ventilation never hurt anyway and would add a second path for your bayleaf's.
Nope... thats not a good idea... Helmsman gets really pi##ed off when one hits em in the eye... thats why the windows just perfect..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:33   #109

Fuuny
Old 11-12-2010, 09:44   #110

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
I apologize for contributing to thread drift, but I agree with Hiracer. "Not under command" refers to a vessels inability to maneuver due to some sort of vessel casualty- such as loss of propulsion, rudder, steerage, etc. "Not under command" does not relate to operations aboard the vessel. "Restricted in ability to maneuver" refers to a vessel unable to maneuver due to it's current operations such as dredging, lightering, maintaining navaids, etc. This rule does not relate to casualties/failures aboard the vessel.

This is a great discussion though- too bad it is masked within an equally interesting but totally unrelated thread!
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 23:50   #111
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I like kitchem lay outs that have a port over the stove to let out moisture while cooking.
And this is what we made for that:

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 01:18   #112

Wow it really got OT here

I missed how we got to COLREGS, did a skipper get incompasated by food poising because the cook was confused by the kitchen layout?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane
Back to the original question, where the beam of a boat allows I feel a U shaped kitchen ideal. Unless the boat is over 50’ or you are regularly planning on feeding a crew of more than 10 it is usually a single person who will be the designated ships cook at any one time. As a chef I feel these smaller U shaped kitchens are ideal as everything is in reach without have to move. It would also be a lot easier to control the movement of various items and even yourself at sea. I really wish a lot more land based kitchen designers would apply the same logic to commercial kitchens.

Now on a tangent what I want to know is why more cruising boat designers don’t put a head and shower which can double as a wet locker directly opposite the companionway entrance? This would really help keep the rest of the boat dry and livable.
Since I started this thread perhaps I should mention my result.

Generally the boats with a kitchen along the side did not grab me. Perhaps this was due to how it affected the rest of the cabin layout.

So me SO40 has a L shaped galley on the starbord side. So far only used it to boil water for cups of tea at port.

Shane, my boat has a large shower/head compartment opposite the galley. On the shower side there is a fold down seat, so it will be perfect for getting out of we gear. Something obvious that may have taken ages to figure out myself.
Old 13-12-2010, 09:22   #113

Thanks for the update. All things boat seem to be a compromise and over time the best ideas seem to raise to the top. The thread did get way off topic! The COLREG discussion could have got better feed back(no pun intended) if it had moved to the Regulation thread. Who would have thought to find a COLREGs discussion in a kitchen layout thread. The passion was great! the reseach that was done was wonderfull, But, it did not have as large an audiance or affect/particapation/feedback it deserved if it had not appropriated a ketchin layout thread.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:30   #114

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Nick,
That fan is ingenious! The design looks pretty self-explanatory but is there anything you would change or do differently if you were to make it again?

Now if I could just get my stove to stop flaming out of control.

Jeff
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 21:06   #115
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerequisite View Post
Nick,
That fan is ingenious! The design looks pretty self-explanatory but is there anything you would change or do differently if you were to make it again
tnx Jeff

I would make it exactly the same. It's just some left-over 3-ply, epoxy and varnish and even the fan was recycled :P

I must add that on the outside we have a little hood to keep rain out which is a similar little project (click this one for a photo gallery):

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote