Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 04:02   #31

Re: Just for fun: Match the mono to the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach.80 to 8Kts View Post
Laughing so much...indeed. Makes me smile when I read that. You should laugh and not take life too seriously. Never sailed a cat. Been on board a few. Even checked out the latest and greatest at the Southampton boat show last year. I couldn't get off them fast enough. It is a condo on pontoons. Sure it goes fast...

Cat's and speed records and the Americas Cup.. the closest I will ever get to that is the photo below,

What's that Grateful Dead line? "You want the cup but you don't want to race."

Yes that a Louis Vuitton box and it travels in it's own seat in first class.

I do my share of going fast. When I'm on a boat, I want to chill.
Why you wana put a suitcase in a seat?
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 04:24   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach.80 to 8Kts View Post
OK, this is not meant to be an argument...
Firstly, yes we have differing philosophies on what we want from this world. I am going to assume that you place a high priority on comfort. As such, when you vacation on land you also travel in with a fifth wheel. That's fine. I bare no ill will for your choice. Please enjoy. This is just one piece of evidence that supports my demographic theory of cat owners. It is by no means a proof.

I, on the other hand, choose as a member of the global community to reduce my impact on this planet and try to consume less in my daily life; leave a smaller footprint on this planet for my children. I chose to live in a smaller house than I can afford. I chose to drive a smaller car as most of the time I am alone I the car. This by no means is an indication that I chose to be uncomfortable. Infact, I would argue that I am very comfortable when I compare myself to others in my own country, let alone around the world. I do not think my choice is morally or ethically superior than your choice.

I switched to whitewater canoeing for a while after being pinned underwater in my kayak. I was scared to get back in the Kayak for the longest time. I also did some whitewater rafting. Eventually, I returned to the Kayak because it was a closer experience to the whitewater. Sure the canoe was more comfortable but I liked the exhilaration of the Kayak.

I like monohulls because I feel closer to what I want to experience. I fault no one for wanting a different experience.

Again, as I said before, like an iceberg, I know nothing about you. You may be actively involved in your community helping the disadvantaged. I do not presume to judge you because of your choices. To do so would be just asinine.

As for your comments that I demean the value of other peoples input, while that would make for a boring one sided discussion if I were not open to the opinion of others. I never implied that you did grow up in a country that doesn't support free thinkers. Nor did I use the word bad.

I also remember this like it was yesterday.
Le Bon Voyage - Yachting World

And yes, I also remember the monohulls of the Fastnet 79 race.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion...Match the mono to the cat

I am not sure this is leaving a small footprint. Maybe you need to have a rethink about conservation if you claim to be one of its ambassadors.

Your words - and I quote... "Yes that a Louis Vuitton box and it travels in it's own seat in first class. I do my share of going fast. When I'm on a boat, I want to chill."

To allocate a suitcase its own seat regardless of make is rather crass. But to then take a picture of it undermines the notions of understatement and modesty to an absolute base level. It is certainly not a British virtue. Some false Gods are being worshipped me thinks in a very false way.
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 05:59   #33

Should I be aspiring to own a Louis Viton box? I didn't get the memo.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 17:06   #34

Inside the case is the "America's Cup"
Mach.80 to 8Kts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun