Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 13:24   #1

Boat: ranger 23
Just bought my first boat today

Hi all,
New to the forum. So just bought my first boat today, a 75 ranger 23. I have been around sailboats most of my life, daddy had a vega 27, and a tiburon 36. But alas he's not around anymore for advice. I got her for a years slip rental, so i think it was a pretty good deal. only issues i have come across is one soft spot in the deck, and looks like the chain plates have some leakage around the bulkheads. I wont actually be able to put my hands on her until after thanksgiving, but i am wanting to do some coastal cruising on her, any ideas as to what i should be looking for?
cheers
jcgnc94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 16:21   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Just bought my first boat today

I used to teach some on a Ranger 23 years ago. Great little boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 16:36   #3

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

Congratulations
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 16:40   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your 1st boat.

Check the keel bolts and the turnbuckles before you do much coastal cruising.

With a boat like that, and I agree that it's a great little boat, it's a good idea to start out with a solid idea of what it's worth, and then try not to pour more money into than it's worth. Maybe $3,000? Remember the bottom line that you could pour $6k into the boat and still only have a boat that's worth $3k.
Old 07-11-2012, 16:57   #5

thanks for all of the replies. I think im getting a pretty fair deal out of it. Im paying a year of slip fees, as i am in corpus christi tx, and the boat is in nc and the boat is "free". It actually works out for me as I wont have to move her for awhile
Old 07-11-2012, 17:51   #6
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

jcgnc,

Me and my buddy sailed a ranger 23 for one season out of Boston. Had her out in 30knt winds at one point. Boy, was that rig creaking. Is it the tall rig? I believe that boat was designed for san fran bay, so it handles very well in a stiff breeze The traveler was mounted on the transom which I liked, but it was frozen in place on our boat. Great boat to learn to sail on if you want to eventually move up to a larger cruiser. Happy for you! Oh, and it is pretty rugged. We bounced her off a rock in Boston Harbor, and she didn't even flinch.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 17:56   #7

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Great, always like to hear that old boats are gonna be sailed!
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 18:00   #8

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

congrats!~

Are you planning to sail here home on her own bottom? I would recommend it, if you can take the time...

I have done the trip a buch, (I am a delievery captain)... let me know if I can help in any way. You could do it in stages to suit your vacation schedule...

Congrats!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 18:22   #9

I must admit that I am a sucker for old boats. My dad had a bad habit of buying boats and would "refurbish" them, and never end up finishing them. The plan at some point is to sail her back to texas, which I am looking foward too. But shes basically barebones though. no electronics, no anchors, ect. So I get to go through the old shed and see whats left. As for putting an outboard on her, any thoughts on what hp would be good to put on. I have an old 9.9 yamaha from the vega, but its old heavy and pretty cranky
Old 07-11-2012, 20:37   #10
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

We had a 5hp outboard on our ranger 23 and it was under powered. Was very difficult motoring into a 12-15knot breeze. If the wind caught the bow it would push us off. Would have to do a 360 to get up enough momentum to get back up into the breeze.

Also, make sure you get a long shaft outboard. Ours was not, and we would have to load up the transom with crew to keep the prop in the water if there were any kind of wave action.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 21:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your 1st boat.

Check the keel bolts and the turnbuckles before you do much coastal cruising.

With a boat like that, and I agree that it's a great little boat, it's a good idea to start out with a solid idea of what it's worth, and then try not to pour more money into than it's worth. Maybe $3,000? Remember the bottom line that you could pour $6k into the boat and still only have a boat that's worth $3k.
Thats something i have thought long and hard about. I want to make her safe and sea worthy, luckly I have some spare stuff lying around to soften the blow to the ol wallet
Old 07-11-2012, 22:31   #12

Boat: Santana 22

The Ranger 23 is a great boat designed for SF bay winds, and assuming its in reasonable shape, definitely worth the time/money required. There is a saying about being wary of "free" boats, but I've had good experience with cheap plastic classics. I would recommend a gradual entry before any serious expedition, if nothing else, to gain trust in her. Go over the rig with someone with a bit of experience for safety. Then, take her out on a day sail during a few somewhat ugly days and see how she feels. The chainplates can be re-inforced with some additional backing of the bulkheads unless in really tough shape.
alaskansailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 13:15   #13
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

congratulations
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 13:19   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgnc94 View Post
Hi all,
New to the forum. So just bought my first boat today, a 75 ranger 23. I have been around sailboats most of my life, daddy had a vega 27, and a tiburon 36. But alas he's not around anymore for advice. I got her for a years slip rental, so i think it was a pretty good deal. only issues i have come across is one soft spot in the deck, and looks like the chain plates have some leakage around the bulkheads. I wont actually be able to put my hands on her until after thanksgiving, but i am wanting to do some coastal cruising on her, any ideas as to what i should be looking for?
cheers

Congratulations!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote