Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 10:02   #1

Boat: Pearson 34
Interior Teak Finish

Hi all,
I'm replacing some of the teak interior plywood, and am trying to match the color. The old color is almost orange, probably aged teak oil. The new teak plywood I tested is brown, and when oiled it's darker and browner than the rest of the interior.

Does anyone know what the original finish was for Pearson's in 1984? Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 18:18   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39
Re: Interior Teak Finish

You really could be struggling to find an exact match.....Also, is it ply or teak? Even timbers on same production could vary in tone etc. After all it's timber and not consistent. If it's an older yacht it also could have been refurbished at some point. You may be lucky, but realistically your best option is just to mach as closely as possible. Does it really need to match exactly?

Or, depending on where you are replacing the teak, use a different material. My material of choice for all refurbishment is lamipanel. Light and bright and watertight, easy to wipe down, ultra practical and attractive.

I always find it helps to look at the area to be refurbished for a few days and have a think about what will look nice in replacement, and what is practical and updates the appearance. What looked great 30 years ago may not be great now, and materials progress.

My upgrade pics are in an album on my profile, I think people can look at them. You will see the lamipanel. I am replacing most of the old veneer that looked great in the day, but is way too dark, the lamipanel brightens the entire yacht. The roof was tired old vinyl and is much improved with a practical surface. So if you can use something new and different, you may well not need to worry about matching stains.
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 18:28   #3

Seems like a lot of the teak ply now days looks more like walnut, darker and blacker.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 18:38   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Seems like a lot of the teak ply now days looks more like walnut, darker and blacker.
Yes, I think the orange look was popular in the 80's. Interiors in later yachts may have a darker wood finish. It's all about trends... That's why it's well worth thinking about how best to replace and upgrade. I think anyway.
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 08:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheoyLee39 View Post
Yes, I think the orange look was popular in the 80's. Interiors in later yachts may have a darker wood finish. It's all about trends... That's why it's well worth thinking about how best to replace and upgrade. I think anyway.
I was talking about bare teak plywood, but yes. The OP could try some Zinsser Amber Shellac base coat on a remnant to see how it matches up. The Amber is pretty orange and reminds me of the orangey looking teak.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 21:13   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RSB333

Aged varnish yellows. Is your old teak varnished? Oiled teak just gets darker as the oil oxidizes and mold grows on it. The time I sanded off all the oil and varnished the then clean teak, it came out a lovely color, and was really easy to keep clean, too.

It is unlikely that you will get an exact match, there are many varieties of teak, and as they got used up, the timbers now provided are different enough to not match. The timber below on our boat is teak colored, but it is varnished PNG rosewood. Too complicated for a simple gal like me.

Ann

Tags
interior, teak