Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 12:57   #1

Boat: Cal 25
Cal 39 different mk's / pros and cons

Now that ive looked into different cal 39s id like to specify my searching and was wondering the pros and cons of the 3 mk's thoughts?
Ben_c_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 13:32   #2

Re: Cal 39 different mk's / pros and cons

Hello Ben,
Actually, there were 4 different Cal 39 models. The first three versions, the MK1, MK2, and MK3 were Bill Lapworth designs and the MK4 was designed by C Raymond Hunt & Assoc.

The MkI was built starting about 1971 and there weren't very many built, probably less than 25. This model had a deck stepped double spreader mast and a completely different hull and deck design from the later MK2 & MK3.

The MK2 and MK3 were designed starting in 1976 and production actually started in 1978 (I think). The hull and decks were the same for both of these boats, but the MK3 had a slightly more modern mast, perforated toe rail instead of teak, more modern windows, etc. Both were available with an "aft cabin" version, regular draft or shoal draft keel, tall rig, etc. Most of the 39s that you will ever see were either MK2 or MK3 versions. I believe production stopped about 1984 with something like 200 built.

The MK 4 was, as noted, not a Lapworth design. It was conceived and built during the last gasps of Cal boats, and again probably less than 25 of them were ever built.

You can find more info on the 39 by Googling "cal39" and you will find the owners site which gives info on owners, boats etc. and you can also find tech info on sailboat data.com.

I have had a 1979 model MK2 for over 15 years. We keep it in the southern Chesapeake Bay, and there are several other Cal 39 that I know of in the area.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.
Regards,
DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 13:53   #3

Smile Re: Cal 39 different mk's / pros and cons

Thanks doug much obliged,
Yeah the 1 i cant find anyways and the 4 well i just prefer the lapworths so but yes i will probably go with a mk 2 as they seem more available where i lived many thanks and happy sailing! Gotta love those lapworth cals!
Old 17-03-2016, 15:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Yes but what would Redford do??

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 15:46   #5

Haha i watched that movie just for the boat and loved it, good movie, i love how he decides to put up a storm jib in the middle of the storm when he knew it was coming. Almost died because of it lol

Tags
cal