Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2010, 04:19   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lttl View Post
Wise “Chesapeake bay locked” marina neighbors suggest that the standard equipment is not enough for my Caribbean plan:
Water 35 gal
Fuel 20 gal
Winches – not Self Tailing need to upgrade to ST
Rigging is good but just a regular – need to “upgrade” to “indestructible”
Portholes (no leaks) but need to be resealed to feel safe in the Sea
Garmin 498 is not enough - need to add Radar
Standard Radio is not enough
Should buy Dis.Generator or Wind.Gen
Hearing those advises makes me feel that if I start doing all these upgrades, I may be better off just buying new vessel.

I really have no clue what I have to be prepared for, so I appreciate any further advise.
Two questions.

1. Are these neighbors dock sailors or have they ever been cruising?
2. Are they like you and me or are they filthy, stinking rich?

These guys sound like most of the "sailors" I used to see in South Florida. Spend years talking, planning and getting the boat ready. Buy ever piece of boat gear ever made and never leave the dock.

The first time I cruised to the Virgin Islands, other than the basic boat my extra safety and nav gear was a VHF radio, an RDF for nav, an Avon Redcrest for dinghy and liferaft. Amazingly I'm still here to tell the tale.

All the previous posts were spot on. A little extra fuel wouldn't hurt so bring a couple of jerry jugs. I would do the same for water but there more in case of a leak or contamination. My usual is to stuff a bunch of one gallon jugs of water in all the hard to get to lockers that aren't used for primary storage.

If the rig is old then check it carefully. Maybe get a pro to inspect it for cracks, bad swages, etc. No need to upgrade only repair if needed. The experts do recommend replacement if more than 10-15 years old.

Handheld GPS is more than adequate. Maybe not as convenient as a fancy, big dollar chart plotter but in no way essential. I just sailed from RI to FL with a 15 year old, hand held GPS that had no charts at all only a Lat/Lon readout. Wasn't worried for a minute.

If the Virgins are your destination it is quite easy to get there from FL with no more than single overnight jumps. I forget exactly but when I made my first trip I measured all the jumps through the islands and the longest leg from one to the next was something like 110-120 nm. Just take your time and pick your weather for each jump.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 04:22   #17

Boat: Hunter Vision
Make sure she is fit and GO. Don Street would say shes plenty big enough!
Fair winds & Our Lord's Blessings
Ed & Bonnie
Almost Heaven
Almost Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 05:10   #18

Boat: Cabo Rico
Your boat is a Bob Perry designed boat, right? And is full keel and made for cruising - probably heavy enough to be comfortable. Water of 35 gallons is small to me, especially if there are more than one, and Fuel 20 gallons is minimum.

If you can afford a boat with more amenities and larger capacity, go for it, but if it keeps you from getting on the seas go as you are and figure it out later. You got what you "need."
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 06:16   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
SHADE, SHADE, SHADE, bimini, and a very good autopilot. Strap on the jerry cans for the lifelines. I went with a whole lot less, and survived the Baja Bash SINGLE-HANDED! Needing new advisors sounds like good advice...........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 06:59   #20

Boat: Bristol 34
Reasonable knowledge and prudence presumed, all you need is a solid boat with sound rigging, decent sails, charts and a compass. Also a reliable dink to get from boat to shore.

After that it's all a matter of comfort and conveinence. Some will tell you there are "must haves", but keep in mind a mere fifty years ago little of the "must have" technology existed and sailboats still plied the seven seas. That being said, at minimum things like a hand held GPS ($150), PLB ($200) SW/SSB receiver for weather reports ($140) are wise investments.

Read James Baldwin's site Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom as he is a minimalist sailor and his advise is a good place to start. Then read all the glossy sailing magazines and forums, insisting you need every modern sailing gadget, and decide where you want to fit in the cruising heirarchy.

A friend is setting off in a few weeks with very little equipment. As he cruises the coast of Florida for several months before crossing to the Bahamas, he'll decide what things are "must have" for him and buy them as he goes along.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 07:24   #21

Islander 34 is huge inside! i just looked it up and quite nice . Im sure there are volumes of storage around that boat. Definately would want more water though ... may I suggest instead of the marine application water tanks that cost a couple hundred bucks, look at ballast tanks,wake sacs ,launch pads as they are called for wakeboard waterski boats. they come in a bunch of different sizes ,fit everywhere,have multiple fill spouts and usually come with a tough canvas cover to zipper over it. Just put one in my boat, 800lbs full,100 gallons ,cost me 100$
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 09:41   #22

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Been there Eleven.... Got our T-Shirts.....

I was thinking of you, dude.

And less of the olde buga, I'm a certified pensioner now.
Old 18-11-2010, 13:24   #23

Boat: Islander 34 1969
Send a message via ICQ to Lttl
feels really good getting responses from so many people

Thank you, everyone for the input it is very valuable information; also it feels really good getting responses from so many people. I cannot call myself minimalist, I like some convenience, but this Bob Perry designed boat, seems to have plenty of space for 2 and a lots of storage. I am sure I can find a place for couple water sacs (could not imagine it is so simple). I feel very encouraged by you all, because I am mostly surrounded by “dock dreamers”. Even though they are not wealthy and most of them are great people, I still feel that I might be there earlier them. I have a few picks of my boat at lttl.us done last year (prepared for the snow storm), would appreciate if you can point me on possible improvements for the trip.
Lttl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 13:31   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Nice boat...

Nice looking boat, but it is old so expect things to break. Just take it easy so they don't break faster than you can fix them.

Shame to sell now for pennies in the dollar just to buy something bigger that needs years of work and mega boat bucks just to get it near ready.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 14:29   #25

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
My two cents worth after five seasons in the Caribbean recently and two more in the early 70s.

You don't need much more than a well found vessel. The rigging must be strong. The sails need not be large. The weakest thing on the boat is the crew.

There are many, many boats in the 35 foot range sailing happily around the Caribbean. The smaller boats go more places than the big ones since they cost so much less to operate.

If I were leaving from the Chesepeake area my route would ICW to Beaufort and make my departure from there. Sail SE until North of the destination Island and bear off.

Plan A: straight to Fajardo PR. Anchor off Isletta Marina, get aclimated, sail the USVI and so called Spainish Virgins. When the time is right, jump over to BVI (clear in and out at Sopers/Hole West End, Tortola), wait for a decent weather window and cross to St Marten. It is a crummy 24 to 36 hour beat to windward.

Plan B: sail straight to St Marten and keep going.

I bet you use the 100% headsail and a reef in the main 75% of the time. The engine will grow old waiting for you to give it a work out.

If it is any interest we are planning to sail our 33 footer down next year. See you later!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 14:43   #26

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
I am sticking with my even smaller boat. All the same, your boat would be the optimum size for me at the moment. I doubt I would go any bigger due needs and running costs. Have a read of the following couple’s books and you will realise how little you really do need to do these things safely.

http://www.landlpardey.com/self-sufficient-sailor.html

Then what’s the old saying, “better the devil you know”?
Old 18-11-2010, 14:49   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Been there Eleven.... Got our T-Shirts.....

I was thinking of you, dude.

And less of the olde buga, I'm a certified pensioner now.

Does that mean you were just an ordinary pensioner before....??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 14:59   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Thats one tidy boat.... my compliments
If the standards as good top side as it is below you've no worries....
But a wheel pilot would be nice for you if just two... and getting pessimistic... one.
Just make sure you've the battery capacity for 24/7 + the rest.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 15:26   #29

Boat: Islander 34 1969
Send a message via ICQ to Lttl
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats one tidy boat.... my compliments
If the standards as good top side as it is below you've no worries....
But a wheel pilot would be nice for you if just two... and getting pessimistic... one.
Just make sure you've the battery capacity for 24/7 + the rest.
Raymarine 4000 is in good working conditions, but sometimes gets off the path... Recalibration, may be? Top side not as below :-)... Got 2'by2' delamination to take care of on foredeck and gonna rebed the stanchions.
Lttl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 15:52   #30

Boat: Traditional 30
Looks like a pretty seaworthy design to me. Of course the basics have to be ok. Engine , rig , safety gear , and YOU! As long as they are all in good condition and arent broken, youre well on the way.

Double/tripple check the rig!

Radar will suck the hell out of your house batteries meaning that now you need more deisel, solar panels or a windgen.

Self tailors are an expensive luxury. If your not racing single handed, the cost of the self tailors could be spent on another month in the islands away from work day to day life!

Try to remember that everytime you add a little luxury it has to be paid for in more than just dollars- Time. Each time the bank acct gets smaller. Once its empty, your time is up and its back to W**K. (W**k -the other four letter word)

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean