Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 06:12   #136

Boat: 1983 Hinckley Sou'wester 59 masthead sloop
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Update 03MAR2018 - We executed to that sail plan above; up to Canada, down to the Caribbean, over to the Mediterranean, down the coast of Africa and then back to the Caribbean. What a great blue water boat the Sou'wester 59 Hinckley is. In all weathers, especially the heavy weather Atlantic crossing at 40 degrees north. She takes such good care of her crew, even 1500 miles offshore. In the Med we had people come up to us who had never even seen a Hinckley before and they knew exactly what she was., even the series. There is a very good, well deserved reputation that each Hinckley carries. They have earned that. After 30,000 nautical miles sailing in all seas and weathers, I understand that it is far more than fine brightwork and varnish.
DFletcher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:22   #137

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Ahhh...Hinckleys...beautiful!

Thank you DFletcher for this update. I have read this entire thread and it is so interesting.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 16:01   #138

If the brand is what is driving you have you considered a Hinckley 49?

300+ gallons each of fuel and water.

125+ HP diesel.

Even has an additional private cockpit in the back off the master SR.

Not the prettiest girl at the ball but she is a Hinckley.

They built about 26 or so of these in the 70's.

I imagine you could get one for around 100K-150K or so and have Hinckley do the rest.

I don't see any on YW right now but the factory might be able to steer you to an owner.

They would be cheap enough to buy now and refit over your two year window?

sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 23:22   #139

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Great thread
Old 11-03-2018, 10:49   #140

So much for all that I guess.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:42   #141

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post

300+ gallons each of fuel and water.

125+ HP diesel.

Even has an additional private cockpit in the back off the master SR.

They built about 26 or so of these in the 70's.

I imagine you could get one for around 100K-150K or so and have Hinckley do the rest.

I don't see any on YW right now but the factory might be able to steer you to an owner.

They would be cheap enough to buy now and refit over your two year window?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	166053

I understand the Hinckley disease, had it for over 7 years now.
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:53   #142

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post

For someone who was wavering on the edge of buying a trawler and didn’t mind a homely girl who also is a very poor dancer, a H49 would be a fine date to take to the ball. Henry Hinckley built some beautiful, classic sailboats, but the 49 wasn’t one of them.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:01   #143

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

I know of two block island 40's for sale if you would want to consider...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4384.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	166085  
Old 13-03-2018, 00:52   #144

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
For someone who was wavering on the edge of buying a trawler and didn’t mind a homely girl who also is a very poor dancer, a H49 would be a fine date to take to the ball. Henry Hinckley built some beautiful, classic sailboats, but the 49 wasn’t one of them.

Not that I want to ‘put em up’
But the H49 was designed by HH himself, for himself, as a live aboard.
I assume it is the fat stern that you don’t like, and that does set it apart from the more ‘classic’ Hinckley design.
Have a look at every modern yacht and the H49 is slim in comparison, maybe HH was onto something.
The shorter rig also gives it a less than classic look, that though was to get under the ICW bridges, and for short handing, well I’ve never reefed, Just fueled away and sailed with jib and mizzen.
She sails perfectly, feel free to check out vids online that I’ve posted
After nearly winning hamilton island race week, the handicapper said “goes faster than it looks”

Everything is a compromise.
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 09:42   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhunter1097 View Post
Not that I want to ‘put em up’
But the H49 was designed by HH himself, for himself, as a live aboard.
I assume it is the fat stern that you don’t like, and that does set it apart from the more ‘classic’ Hinckley design.
Have a look at every modern yacht and the H49 is slim in comparison, maybe HH was onto something.
The shorter rig also gives it a less than classic look, that though was to get under the ICW bridges, and for short handing, well I’ve never reefed, Just fueled away and sailed with jib and mizzen.
She sails perfectly, feel free to check out vids online that I’ve posted
After nearly winning hamilton island race week, the handicapper said “goes faster than it looks”

Everything is a compromise.
Yes, I'm aware that HH designed the 49 himself and I'm also aware that he wasn't a naval architect. He also wasn't a liveaboard cruiser. He lived in Manset, ME and was very hands on running his boatyard and selling boats.

Fat stern, high freeboard with no easy way to get on board from a dinghy, not great sailing performance (Island Packet-ish with a similar underbody) sailing to weather but fine for reaching, poor ultimate stability compared with most other cruising sailboats of its size, awkward master stateroom with no bed big enough for 2 to sleep comfortably. On the other hand, they are extremely well constructed and rugged and comfortable to be aboard and many owners have spared no expense keeping them maintained and updated so they can be a very good value. Great engine access and a handy workbench. When we were looking there was an extremely well kept H49 for sale here in Maine at an attractive price and I very seriously considered buying it but for the reasons listed above we decided it wasn't just right for us.

I don't think they are "bad" boats at all but I've spent a LOT of time in SW Harbor and have never heard anyone say they look beautiful (maybe "handsome?") or sail particularly well, about as can be expected from a relatively shallow draft, long keeled, low aspect ketch rig. Regarding its sailing ability, I realize it's not necessarily a bad thing to have the characteristics of the H49 any more than a J44 is bad. All cruising boats are compromises and we all have our own ideas about what sort of sailing performance is appropriate for us. I chose a boat with a slightly taller, higher aspect rig and a little more stability but my boat is certainly not a racing boat or would be perfect for everybody. It just happens to be where, along the performance spectrum, I'm most comfortable right now. I understand that some others want to go faster and have more performance and others are happy with a low aspect ketch rig with less performance, it's all good. But potential buyers should at least be aware of what to expect as far as performance goes. My boat is only 2' shorter than a H49 and I feel it is slightly overpowered with it's 88hp Yanmar, but H49's are typically fitted with engines 50% larger than that and with 300 gallon fuel tanks. There's a good reason for such a big, thirsty, engine and tankage and that is the H49 is not a very easily driven hull and owners choose to motor frequently (understandably).

I'm sure that reaching in 15 to 20 knots of wind, it's a perfect sailboat and with such a large engine you can just motor into the wind when you need to and there's nothing wrong with that philosophy at all, just not quite where I'm at right now. It sounds like you really enjoy your boat and that's what matters. You made the right choice that perfectly reflects your cruising priorities. But if someone is considering buying one I think it's important to let them know just what the H49 is and isn't so they can make as informed a buying decision as possible.
Old 14-03-2018, 11:06   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Yes, I'm aware that HH designed the 49 himself and I'm also aware that he wasn't a naval architect. He also wasn't a liveaboard cruiser. He lived in Manset, ME and was very hands on running his boatyard and selling boats.

Fat stern, high freeboard with no easy way to get on board from a dinghy, not great sailing performance (Island Packet-ish with a similar underbody) sailing to weather but fine for reaching, poor ultimate stability compared with most other cruising sailboats of its size, awkward master stateroom with no bed big enough for 2 to sleep comfortably. On the other hand, they are extremely well constructed and rugged and comfortable to be aboard and many owners have spared no expense keeping them maintained and updated so they can be a very good value. Great engine access and a handy workbench. When we were looking there was an extremely well kept H49 for sale here in Maine at an attractive price and I very seriously considered buying it but for the reasons listed above we decided it wasn't just right for us.

I don't think they are "bad" boats at all but I've spent a LOT of time in SW Harbor and have never heard anyone say they look beautiful (maybe "handsome?") or sail particularly well, about as can be expected from a relatively shallow draft, long keeled, low aspect ketch rig. Regarding its sailing ability, I realize it's not necessarily a bad thing to have the characteristics of the H49 any more than a J44 is bad. All cruising boats are compromises and we all have our own ideas about what sort of sailing performance is appropriate for us. I chose a boat with a slightly taller, higher aspect rig and a little more stability but my boat is certainly not a racing boat or would be perfect for everybody. It just happens to be where, along the performance spectrum, I'm most comfortable right now. I understand that some others want to go faster and have more performance and others are happy with a low aspect ketch rig with less performance, it's all good. But potential buyers should at least be aware of what to expect as far as performance goes. My boat is only 2' shorter than a H49 and I feel it is slightly overpowered with it's 88hp Yanmar, but H49's are typically fitted with engines 50% larger than that and with 300 gallon fuel tanks. There's a good reason for such a big, thirsty, engine and tankage and that is the H49 is not a very easily driven hull and owners choose to motor frequently (understandably).

I'm sure that reaching in 15 to 20 knots of wind, it's a perfect sailboat and with such a large engine you can just motor into the wind when you need to and there's nothing wrong with that philosophy at all, just not quite where I'm at right now. It sounds like you really enjoy your boat and that's what matters. You made the right choice that perfectly reflects your cruising priorities. But if someone is considering buying one I think it's important to let them know just what the H49 is and isn't so they can make as informed a buying decision as possible.
If you go back and read the OP's original specifications it would seem that the H49 would fit the bill much more than any other Hinckley and a Hinckley is what he said he wants.

It is from that perspective that I offered a H49 as consideration not my own personal performance criteria.

But, the OP may have left the building?
Old 15-03-2018, 03:01   #147

I just checked on Yachtworld and noticed a 52’ Hinckley, which is a beautiful and much more modern boat for sale with an asking price of $250K. It’s been in storage for years so will need reconditioning but if I was in the market for a Hinckley, that’s what I’d be looking very hard at. The 52 was built about 20 years after the 49 and has a modern, better performing hull shape and is made of a Kevlar/glass combo so is stronger and lighter.
Old 15-03-2018, 06:20   #148

I just checked on Yachtworld and noticed a 52’ Hinckley, which is a beautiful and much more modern boat for sale with an asking price of $250K. It’s been in storage for years so will need reconditioning but if I was in the market for a Hinckley, that’s what I’d be looking very hard at. The 52 was built about 20 years after the 49 and has a modern, better performing hull shape and is made of a Kevlar/glass combo so is stronger and lighter.