Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2009, 16:41   #1
dmx

Help Me Narrow Choices for a <30' SF Bay Cruiser

Some friends of mine are looking to upgrade their J/24 to a larger, more cruising oriented boat for the San Francisco bay, and I'm love some suggestions for monohull cruisers you think might be worth considering:

Here are some of the criteria:
- 30' or less (that's the slip size)
- Reasonable performance and safety
- Reasonably inexpensive to maintain
- Suitable for San Francisco bay sailing, and trips to the surrounding area now and then (Half Moon Bay, Farallon islands, etc)
- Able to sleep 2 couples in relative comfort. This is seems a tricky requirement in this size -- we'd ideally like 2 double beds
- Bathroom / basic shower with hot water
- Basic kitchen facilities
- Mostly weekend trips of 2-3 days. Not for extended cruising, but not only for single day trips either
- Available in reasonable shape in the 15-35K price range

Typical use:
- Two couples go cruising around the bay for a long weekend, making their own meals on the boat and sleeping at anchor. Occasional Friday night racing, with little intent of winning

I know you guys have some opinions about what kind of boats might be worth considering... let's hear them!
dmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 16:59   #2

Why not pick up an Olson 30. They are readily available for under $15M. Great sailing boats. They don't have a shower or hot water, but you can fix that with a solar shower on the deck.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 17:06   #3

New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com
Old 22-07-2009, 19:38   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Hmmmmm.... If I were making such a decision, I'd look at a J-30 With a little TLC, you could make an earlier J-30 to be pretty much everything you described....

Have fun!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 19:42   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Given you want those accommodations, an ultralight like an Express 27 is not going to work for you.

I would look at a Pearson 30, Beneteau 30, Catalina 30, Ranger 30, Cs 30 and Santana 30.

Have you looked in the back of Latitude 38?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 11:52   #6
dmx

Thanks for all your comments. At this point we're leaning toward some of the more cruising oriented boats mentioned like the Catalina 28 or 30, Santana 30, Beneteau 30 etc as you suggested David M. I hadn't considered the CS30 but it looks very nice.

Many of the other boats are awesome from a performance perspetive but didn't seem to meet the need for two double sleeping areas (as opposed to 1 double v berth and a couple of quarter berths). And there seem to be loads of Catalina 28s and 30s around at good prices.

Any other suggestions? Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.
dmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 12:07   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmx View Post
T

Many of the other boats are awesome from a performance perspetive but didn't seem to meet the need for two double sleeping areas (as opposed to 1 double v berth and a couple of quarter berths). And there seem to be loads of Catalina 28s and 30s around at good prices.
I think you're expecting a bit much in a 30 ft boat but the CS30 has a double V berth and a double quarter berth. The performance is pretty good too.

Old 23-07-2009, 13:42   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
There is a PT30 for sale real cheap in the bay area. They were a competitive IOR design especially good to windward. sale-m4rjc-1278262830@craigslist.org. Also have been a couple of S&S designed 30' boats from Yankee and Tartan on the market recently. These are well built boats that you could take offshore should the mood strike.
Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 09:03   #9

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
DMX...have You looked at the Kelt 9m?

Like the title, DMX, they're 9M (30') separated (bulkheaded) sleeping quarters, cross the big pond, solid boats, bay & even offshore...nice & tough. HUGE interiors. Seriously "over-rigged"(if there is such a thing).

Look real hard at the older Catalina's, well made, floorplan, easy to sail (well) & solid all around contender meeting all Your desires.

Another factor few consider (for at that later date when it gets either "too big or small") is resale...they're up there. The older(while well maintained) You go, the cheaper they get (well, duh!), point being the less "depreciation" You'll suffer while owning. Everyone says "I don't care about that, gonna own this 1 a long time/forever"; few seldom do.
Good luck on the quest,
HTH,
-Mick
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 11:37   #10

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Look up S-2 9.2 center cockpit. Has all the amenities you want. Sails pretty well in the Tampa Bay area. I am not familar with the SF bay so don't how that would fit sailing wise.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sf bay