Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 12:33   #16

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re: HELP!

So the question is how to loosen the headstay enough to get the pin back in?

Ease the backstay. Attach spin/jib halyard to stemhead fitting and grind away.

Or am I missing something?

OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 13:27   #17

Boat: Newport 28

The cotter pin worked itself out while sailing, which is how it got that way. Luckily it didn't slip completely out.

I loosened the backstay so ot has a half inch or so of play and it makes no difference.

What happens if I take the shackle off? The shackle is all bent up now from trying to hammer it in. I might just try to find a longer one...
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 13:29   #18

Boat: Simpson Slipstream 50 Catamaran

You better keep your sailing inshore Mr Vinny. At least for a couple of years...
Old 01-02-2015, 13:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
So the question is how to loosen the headstay enough to get the pin back in?

Ease the backstay. Attach spin/jib halyard to stemhead fitting and grind away.

Or am I missing something?

I tried that already, the halyard hits the roller, which pushes on the forestay and increases tension on the cable. I tried all differnt angles, it's so tight that pulling it makes almost np difference.
Old 01-02-2015, 13:41   #20
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
I tried that already, the halyard hits the roller, which pushes on the forestay and increases tension on the cable. I tried all differnt angles, it's so tight that pulling it makes almost np difference.
Vinny, we're trying to help. I wish you were close, and I'd run over to assist. Any dock neighbors around to help figure this out? I don't understand why you can't get enough slack to put the pin back in. Maybe think about loosening the aft lowers, if loosening the back stay didn't help?

Hey, super glad you didn't loose the rig out there. Could have been worse I reckon.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 13:44   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Vinny,

You're going to have to ease the backstay more. Don't un-do it all the way, leave a few threads still in the turnbuckle, but really loosen it a lot, floppy is okay, it's only for a moment.

If you still can't get the pin through, then you'll have to pull some of the slack out of the furler. When we had to do this, we put a rolling hitch on the furler, and led the line through a snatchblock on the toerail so that it led well to the anchor windlass. With your setup, maybe you could use a soft shackle through the roller for the snatch block, because you need to pull the furler down straight, then the line can turn through the block and go back to one of the winches on the mast. Slowly take up the slack from the line, and put tension on the furler, it will start to descend, and you'll be able to slide the pin back in.

Let us know when you've finished. Oh, yeah, and install backing plates for all your cleats. You shouldn't be able to extract them so easily.

Ann
Old 01-02-2015, 13:48   #22

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37

"I tried that already, the halyard hits the roller, which pushes on the forestay and increases tension on the cable."

Guess we dont understand something. first the forestay is the cable? Guess I am thinking if it fit before it should fit now. You might need new fitings as the odd load on them whould have distorted both the pin and shackle, but replace with same. Also there should be a turnbuckle under the roller furling drum which can be adjusted. Keep a halyard (Jib) from the head of the mast cleated at the front of the boat and tighten with winch. That will keep the mast up while you remove shackle.
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 14:23   #23

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
I assume by "roller" you mean the furling drum and by "cable" you mean the headstay?

Obviously the boat didn't magically rig itself. Intuitively one would think there have to be turnbuckles to ease the headstay and/or backstay somewhere, which should enable you to staighten the mast or take some of the rake out of it and ease the tension on the headstay enough get this done.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 14:24   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

I would ease the back completely, attach the forestay, then winch in and attach the back(s). It is dead easy to winch with topping lifts and main halyards AND with the forestay secured there is no risk of anything going pop and bringing down the rig.

Adding one toggle on the forestay is an easy option too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 16:10   #25

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
The cotter pin worked itself out while sailing, which is how it got that way. Luckily it didn't slip completely out.

I loosened the backstay so ot has a half inch or so of play and it makes no difference.

What happens if I take the shackle off? The shackle is all bent up now from trying to hammer it in. I might just try to find a longer one...
I was not joking about the hammer just didn't know you really used one. So basically you have un rigged your boat. At this point you need some one to come our and re_rig your lines. This would be a good time to inspect it and clean it. I would think you're going to want your lines tightened to the correct spects. Peace of mind I would get it done right.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 16:15   #26

I just can't figure out with all this talk about how bad all these boat builders build boats and how good we build them if we did build them I don't know why we all just don't go out to build a boat. Of course I guess the flying Hawaiian did that.

Old 01-02-2015, 18:39   #27

Sorry guys this post did not belong here. Phone is having issues. Sorry.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:11   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Sorry guys this post did not belong here. Phone is having issues. Sorry.

Hahaha I thought it was some sort of mockery that was going over my head

anyways I really appreciate everyone's help with this. Sorry for the short replies I was posting from my cell phone and the sun was washing out the screen.

Anyways I had to go back home yesterday and leave it tied off for safety. I'm at work right now.

Here's the plan:
Head over there this afternoon and loosen the back stay almost all the way. Then, take my 6:1 main sheet block and tackle I have from an old boat...

Connect one end of the 6:1 block to the snap shackle on the bow that is used for my storm jib and another end to the halyard. I'm thinking the extra mechanical advantage of the 6:1 will give me enough to get the pin back in...finger crossed.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:35   #29

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Common problem for me as I seem always to be doing this solo.
The problem is catenary in the furler.

Steps-
remove sail from furler if you have not already, don't think this has been mentioned and I assume it is still on.
loosen backstay as much as possible.
rolling hitch to furler extrusion well above drum, run to block and tackle, preferable with a cam cleat. If you have a choice, put the cam at the bottom rather than top.
Attach to anchor roller forward of headstay attachment point.
Heave ho! It will come down and turn cooperative.
Install pin, then retension backstay.
use cotter pins rather than rings.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:49   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Common problem for me as I seem always to be doing this solo.
The problem is catenary in the furler.

Steps-
remove sail from furler if you have not already, don't think this has been mentioned and I assume it is still on.
loosen backstay as much as possible.
rolling hitch to furler extrusion well above drum, run to block and tackle, preferable with a cam cleat. If you have a choice, put the cam at the bottom rather than top.
Attach to anchor roller forward of headstay attachment point.
Heave ho! It will come down and turn cooperative.
Install pin, then retension backstay.
use cotter pins rather than rings.
Sounds like I'm on the right path with the block and tackle.

What is the purpose of removing the sail from the furler? I have been having problems getting it to roll/unroll...could this be related to the cotter pin working itself out?