Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 07:27   #1

Helms 27

Does anyone have an experience or thoughts about a Helms 27? Does anyone know if it has an encapsulated keel or bolt on? I assume they made a limited amount of boats, since there doesn't appear to be that much info out there.

Thanks
trialbuterrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 08:38   #2

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Helms 27

I grew up sailing on my daddy's Helm's 25 (it was a Catalina 22 extended by three feet). Helms was a family company located in Irmo, SC and built boats throughout the 70's before closing doors in the 80's. We knew the family well through the Columbia Sailing Club. The 27 was a fine boat, a "big boat", by Lake Murray standards, back in the day. John Helms may still live in Columbia, you may be able to find him through Google or perhaps facebook. He is happy to depart information about their line and offer any advice necessary. I'll PM you if I can find any of Johnny's contact information. If you contact him first, tell him that Greg Handal says "hello".
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 09:19   #3

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

I had a Helms 24 back in the late '70s. Great little pocket cruiser. Did a lot of weekend cruising on the Chesapeake in it.

It had a bolt-on external keel IIRC. Don't know if the 27 was the same, but I suspect so as the 27 was designed by the same guy and appeared to be just a slightly larger version of the 24.

I made a number of improvements to my boat during the 4 years I had it -- internal halyards led aft, interior carpentry, cockpit table, etc. The fellow who bought it from me turned around and sold it the next year to Stuart Windley, the designer of the 24 and the 27. He said he liked my modifications.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 15:29   #4

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbuterrors View Post
Does anyone have an experience or thoughts about a Helms 27? Does anyone know if it has an encapsulated keel or bolt on? I assume they made a limited amount of boats, since there doesn't appear to be that much info out there.

Thanks
I can't tell you anything specific about your keel, but this was one of the company's most popular models.

HELMS 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

rb
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 14:55   #5

Strange information is so uncommon . They built 600 of them over 9 years . Not too shabby Cape Dory 27 . 277 over eight years.
gdecon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm