Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2010, 12:57   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
5 feet 11 inches of headroom on my 1961 Triton. Some of the later models have a fiberglass liner overhead, the early ones like mine do not. Looking up in mine, you see the white painted inner fiberglass skin of the deck. The later models also have a deeper bilge, which makes fitting a water tank under the cabin sole a lot easier. Early models have external ballast bolted on, later ones are encapsulated lead pigs.

I haven't been in one of the later model boats, so don't know if they have more or less headroom.

I'm going to lower the cabin sole two inches as right now I have to walk around barefoot with my knees bent slightly... or I rub a bald spot on the top of my head. The sliding hatch opening does not go far enough forward to let me stand up with my head poking out while preparing dinner, but dropping the sole two inches will allow for that. The lowest step of the companionway ladder is the battery box, moving the battery somewhere else would give a toe kick and almost let you stand under the opening. Almost.

Also, the berths are small for 6 foot plus. My notebook with those measurements is missing in action. I'm refitting the interior to make them a little longer. When I got her, laying down with feet flat against the galley cabinet and head was touching the bulkhead, not really a big deal if you curl up a bit... but tough to stretch out. Knobs on the drawers need to be finger holes.

The stock door frames are a little tight getting through, so I removed the doors and frames. Now the width is 19 1/4 inches wide. When I replace the main bulkhead, I will probably widen that an inch or two, or oval the opening a bit. Mainly wanting to do that to ease carrying my #1 genoa through the opening, sausage bags would help...

The forward hatch on mine (stock) is 17 inches square, not really the easiest thing to get in and out of if you've got wide shoulders. Turn sideways and slither through! A larger aftermarket hatch would make life a lot easier when doing sail changes.

The companionway is 20 inches wide. The opening extends 30 inches forward on the top of the roof.

I am 6'1, to give you an idea of size...
Imageshack - me2pc3.jpg
Zach: Was the Mariner made as sloop? I'll be singlehanding most of the time, but as a ketch I think it'd off the short list.
OaklandSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 14:36   #17

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
Mariner never built anything but ketches. There are a couple of conversions to a cutter rig on the Mariner Owners site.
Mariner Yachts - Home of the Mariner Owners Association

Here's one;

San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headroom, pearson