Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 13:19   #1

Boat: Fisksatra Havsfidra
Havsfidra Modifications and the Benefits of Small Boats

I'm the proud owner of a Fisksatra Havsfidra, she was built in 1973 and is just 6m LOA and just over 5 LWL. she is based on the lines of a colin archer, the hull is extremely seaworthy, and being a double Ender she is fantastic in following seas! The problem with small boat distance sailing is being able to carry all the equipment needed, and the problem of if you get caught in heavy weather getting out of it takes so much longer due to the lack of speed. Therefore for me, being able to keep moving in bad weather, or worsening weather is extremely important. The point of this means having a yacht big enough to allow you to carry heavy weather kit. Everybody talks about comfort, but for a solo sailor all I need is great sea berth, a bucket, and spares. LOTS and LOTS of spares. What I've done is change a quarter berth into my sail locker, the other quarter berth has been extended and a solid lee board made so it can be used on either tack. I've added a bowsprit, where on the fore I have 3 Yankees cut, a no. 1,2,3. I then have 3 staysails, all on hanks so in bad weather you can get all your sail down. I have a 4 point reef on the main and a tri sail. I have the sail combinations on a 6 metre which you can only dream of usually on bigger boats. The fore peak is still a V berth but I only use this at anchor. at sea by removing the central cushion and placing a board, you have a fantastic chart table come table. The possibilities on this yacht are endless.

I'd love to hear from other owners about how you use your small boats and what modifications you have to get multiple use? and to hear of any planned voyages,

I'm looking currently at the Jester-Azores in 2012 but considering my yacht comes in at 19ft I might have to extend to get to 20ft minimum limit!!!
Old 23-01-2011, 13:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Gracies hi, and welcome to CF.

You're certainly not alone as there are several other folk cruising on small sail boats on here. I hadn't realised there was a limit for the Jester events, I thought the whole idea of the Jester challenges was there are no rules and it's the individual against the elements rather than against other boats.

When you get a moment do load up some photos, she sounds interesting.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 14:37   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
When you get a moment do load up some photos, she sounds interesting.

Pete
+1

and welcome aboard - I am sure Phil / Boatman will be along shortly to say hi. he's got a BIG boat, 21 foot
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 18:28   #4

Boat: fastnet 34
Re: Havsfidra Modifications and the Benefits of Small Boats

those little havsfidra yachts are so pretty! it's the only yacht i've seen that made me wonder whether i could justify having a spare.... i wanted to live aboard so my yacht's 34', but i would love to see photos and hear more.
ms.lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 18:50   #5

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

The Havsfidra is a great little boat. I remember when they first came out (in the 60s ?) and reading an article written by a couple that made a real impression on me. It was the first time I'd ever heard of plankton phosphorescence ... the couple claimed they could see it through the hull because the fiberglass was so translucent.

We (my parents) almost bought one but never did.

Thanks for the memory jogger !

-Sven
Old 18-05-2011, 07:39   #6

Hi Again,
thanks for the nice comments on the havsfidra, its nice to finally be on a forum where people post positive and helpful advice rather than anonymous rubbish!!
Currently in the process of starting a website to document my changes to 'gracie' now being re/registered in her original name 'fidji'.

1 question,

has anybody got any advice on installing a wet locker on a 6m?
Gracies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 11:12   #7

i'll look forward to following your progress.

wet locker? ideally near the companionway as you'll want to keep your wet oilies away from your bunk. so maybe right by the sail locker or part of it - a wet/sail locker?

laura
Old 18-05-2011, 14:37   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.lau View Post
i'll look forward to following your progress.

wet locker? ideally near the companionway as you'll want to keep your wet oilies away from your bunk. so maybe right by the sail locker or part of it - a wet/sail locker?

laura
With the size of boat I would think a dedicated (and worthwhile) wet locker will not be feasible without taking away (too much) from elsewhere. I would look to curtain off a bunk with a shower curtain, either as the wet locker when on passage - or as the dry part of the boat
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 21:18   #9

I have to agree with most of the posts here, 20' doesn't leave room for anything. One option might be to have a dodger built that had space enough to hook rain gear so as it drained into the cockpit. A Google search shows pics of boats with regular dodgers and they look out of place. My thoughts are that it would have to be a hard top design as the "norm" just wouldn't add anything to your boat.
Good Luck.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 03:44   #10

Interesting answers,
i have no heads compartment yet, and the space mentioned (2x2x4) isnt really big enough for that purpose. Maybe its going to be just a case of letting wet stuff drain into the bilge from a central hanger along the coachroof laterals. Its just the idea of damp and wet inside is not ideal!
Gracies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 04:11   #11

further to my last post.. if you've converted one quarter berth to a sail locker, if that had a full height bulkhead at its forward end you could hang your oilies from that, above/next to the sails. or maybe i'm not picturing the layout correctly?
post some pics please!
laura
Old 21-05-2011, 04:35   #12

Boat: Dufour 35

http://rexhenrik.se/AHolmersSpace/Ha...avsfidra_5.jpg

The Havsfidra is a great little boat. There was one in the 1968 OSTAR, the singlehanded transatlantic race. 13:th on time (40 days 14 hours) but second on handicap.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:00   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracies View Post

just over 5 LWL

based on the lines of a colin archer

the hull is extremely seaworthy

and being a double Ender she is fantastic in following seas!
Hi,

I think I know Havsfidras pretty well. Not sailed one, but my own boat is a slightly bigger double-ender of alike pedigree. We have a Havsfidra as a neighbour too.

The 5 meter LWL is actually 5.5 meter - which gives you some 10% of waterline more (and you owe me a beer here;-).

They are not truly based on Colin Archer boats but they are related by their origin.

Talking of seaworthiness at this size is sort of an overstatement - all small boats are (more) unsafe in open water sailing (than equivalent design, bigger boats) (or at least - if built like a sort of unsinkable yoyo - they will be inherently uncomfortable - making the crew very tired very soon).

And last, as far as double-enders being fantastic in the following seas goes - I would simply ask you how much experience in such boats/conditions do you have? I have some, and from my comparison between double-enders and flat asses, the double-ender is the worst boat to go downwind - they are notoriously rolly.

All the above said, much as it may sound to anybody as a criticism, I would not hesitate to sail a well restored and prepared Havsfidra to any of the easy coconut milk run RTW destinations. Remember - yours certainly sailed to your place all the way from Sweden ...!

Probably the poorest point of the boat you have is "poor" pointing. They simply refuse to beat well. But they sail upwind OK - just you have to forget your experiences from a J-boat, if you have any.

To my way of sailing small boats, I would put stress on making the sail plan fully controllable from the cockpit - leading all reefing lines to the cockpit and putting the jib on a roller. Another jib, preferably a kite on a furler will make sailing the broad angles a much more rewarding experience.

You will find a very good Havsfidra home website out there on the net and I am sure it will give you plenty of great ideas on what and how you can modify in your little brave ship.

Good luck and fair winds.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 03:56   #14

I think i owe you a beer ; )
Old 07-08-2012, 06:44   #15
RGS

Noen som vet hvor jeg kan få sydd/kjøpt sprayhood og kapell til Havsfidra?
RGS is offline   Reply With Quote