Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 21:48   #16

Re: Havsfidra Modifications and the Benefits of Small Boats

I got a short sail on one in San Francisco bay back in the 70s. If I had to cross oceans in an under 20 foot boat, it would be a Havsfidra. I went big time and did it in a 26 footer. In the Contessa 26 I sacrificed the stb part of the Vberth and put a wet locker just forward of the regular hanging locker, and moved the head from the center to the stb side forward of the new wet locker. Worked out just fine. I could never understand how anyone would need 4 berths on a small boat anyway. With 4 reefs in the main, you will probably never need your trysail, but they do make a wonderful roll stopper. At anchor or running under head sails, hoist the trysail as high as you can and sheet it as far aft as you can, and keep it fairly flat. It will take all of the snap out of rolling. Also, you might want to google Quartermaster Windvane. They are designed for transom hung rudders and are simple to make for a small boat. Mine worked great. When people tell you that you cant cruise in a small boat, just ask them for their address and send them a postcard of the places they wish they were, but havent finished paying for their boat yet. Best of Luck to You. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 22:16   #17

Gracie, rereading you post, I must give another bit of advice (opinion) about the bucket and chuck it crowd. In my opinion, it is far more dangerous to try to move a bucket load of crap from the cabin floor to over the side, than the small danger of 2 thru hulls for a marine head. Trust me in that you will be very careful about moving that bucket around, and that will distract you from the basic safety of one hand for the ship and one hand for yourself. Even though many sailors do it, peeing over the side is playing with suicide. There are almost as many opinions on this as there are members of this forum, but why set your self up for risk. I always opened the seacock for use and closed the head seacock when not in use. It only took a second. Just another opinion. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 13:04   #18

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracies View Post
I'm the proud owner of a Fisksatra Havsfidra, she was built in 1973 and is just 6m LOA and just over 5 LWL. she is based on the lines of a colin archer, the hull is extremely seaworthy, and being a double Ender she is fantastic in following seas! The problem with small boat distance sailing is being able to carry all the equipment needed, and the problem of if you get caught in heavy weather getting out of it takes so much longer due to the lack of speed. Therefore for me, being able to keep moving in bad weather, or worsening weather is extremely important. The point of this means having a yacht big enough to allow you to carry heavy weather kit. Everybody talks about comfort, but for a solo sailor all I need is great sea berth, a bucket, and spares. LOTS and LOTS of spares. What I've done is change a quarter berth into my sail locker, the other quarter berth has been extended and a solid lee board made so it can be used on either tack. I've added a bowsprit, where on the fore I have 3 Yankees cut, a no. 1,2,3. I then have 3 staysails, all on hanks so in bad weather you can get all your sail down. I have a 4 point reef on the main and a tri sail. I have the sail combinations on a 6 metre which you can only dream of usually on bigger boats. The fore peak is still a V berth but I only use this at anchor. at sea by removing the central cushion and placing a board, you have a fantastic chart table come table. The possibilities on this yacht are endless.

I'd love to hear from other owners about how you use your small boats and what modifications you have to get multiple use? and to hear of any planned voyages,

I'm looking currently at the Jester-Azores in 2012 but considering my yacht comes in at 19ft I might have to extend to get to 20ft minimum limit!!!

Well, this will certainly be the oldest thread I’ve ever tried to resurrect, so here goes.

I find most of the info on the web is quite old, with sites no longer supported. Why not? She’s only 50 years old! Ha!

I am about to take possession of a 1973 Fisksatra Havsfidra 20 in a few weeks and I’m wondering if there is any activity going on with these wonderful little boats?

I have done some research but would love to hear from anyone currently sailing one of these tiny ships, or has owned one, or currently owns one. G

Fingers crossed for some replies. Heck, even one would be welcome. Thanks!
Cheers!
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote