Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 05:36   #31

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch
Re: Have I got the right boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailMoonShadow View Post
Hi all,

I'm considering cruising to the caribbean and further. Not neccesarily a circumnavigation but thats not out of the question. I live aboard full time.

I currently own a Sigma 362 which I've really enjoyed sailing for the past few years and I've done a number of mods to prepare it for longer term cruising and I've just had the standing rigging replaced and a new main and genoa. Of course the underwater profile of this boat is a bolt on fin keel (not super high aspect ratio) and a spade rudder.

An indecent conversation with a rock off the coast of Brittany this summer resulted in being out of the water for two months to get the rudder straightened. This event has me thinking about the suitability of this design for what I'm planning to do. Whilst I know that people have crossed major oceans with this configuration the potential for substantial inconvenience (or worse) must be considered.

The thing is, in every other aspect she is exactly what I want: a decent sized saloon, a "proper" heads compartment (my partner loves that), a good sized owners cabin that can be permanently given to sleeping and a galley that can be used in a seaway (a bit challenging on a hard starboard tack tbh).

So...

I've been looking at alternatives and, if I were to change it would have to be a full keel or a substantial skeg. I've considered a Nicholson 32 (the mk10 looks pretty good). They have a fantastic reputation but not sure I could live with the restricted space after the Sigma.

I really don't know enough about this style of boat to begin making sensible comparisons so I'm hoping to get some insiration from the CF hive mind!

If I could find something that incorporates the features I listed above but with a full keel that would be great. Size-wize, ideally something in the mid-30s LOA. Budget would be up to about £25K (or equivalent local currency) for something "ready to go" (i.e. recent rig and sails, solar installed, windvane, etc).

Thanks in advance
Paul
Hey Paul- I see your post is over 2 years old. So my response is pat the timeframe. I cruised the Caribbean after Europe , for 8 years. We had a spade rudder and 6.5 ft draft.. With your rudder, I would begin in the Lesser Antilles since they have abundant deep anchorages close to shores. The Bahamas are shallow and deep draft limited.
I agree with earlier posts - stay with what you have Before you swap out.
Know that a good tender , easily launched and retrieved is essential.
If you are understandably worried about a rudder issue happening, maybe a smaller investment into robust ground tackle and side sonar would be beneficial. A good Gps and chart plotter is the best and most economic piece of gear to avoid hazards in our experience.
Nibiruwayne

Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 18:03   #32

Boat: S&S 40

No vessel likes to have a close conversation with a rock, skeg hung rudder or not.
If you are seeking ultimate strength go alu or steel, or avoid hard objects.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:49   #33

Boat: Beneteau

Your present boat didn't sink. Was it disabled? If not I would say that your choice has been made. Many skegs attached to the supposed superior boats have proven to be nothing more than another opportunity to rip a large hole in the boat as a result of being severely under engineered. Your rudder took the smack and kept you safe. I would consider that proof of design.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:03   #34

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
Your present boat didn't sink. Was it disabled? If not I would say that your choice has been made. Many skegs attached to the supposed superior boats have proven to be nothing more than another opportunity to rip a large hole in the boat as a result of being severely under engineered. Your rudder took the smack and kept you safe. I would consider that proof of design.
+1 on this comment! While my cruising boat has a massive skeg and rudder, that well distribute, by design, any potential grounding force at a very wide hull area - actually built separately and attached like a cradle to the hull (as well as the keel), I was horrified to see skews that are nothing but a sword waiting to stab the hull in an unfortunate grounding.

Tags
boat