Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2009, 18:29   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I can attest how fast a narrow design can be. Oh Joy is 40' LOA with a beam of 9'10" and easily exceeds hull speed. I can only imagine how quick this old girl would be.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 19:43   #17

I sent and email but no reply yet.
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 20:22   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I have put this on three different boards..To my knowledge no one has gotten a response..The guy may be having second thoughts of just giving it away with all the attention its generating or is perhaps indeed just a little weird about whom this boat will go to as stated in his add.

So I might just take a drive , a peak and some photos of Dels "if its the one close to mine" boat tomorrow and post up some pictures.

Stay tuned...I have a mission..and it sounds like fun.

Del if your around beers or coffee is on me...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 20:28   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Stillraining,

Yeah I'll be up in Everett tomorrow. Others have been looking at it for the past month so I assume it's probably the one. I'll bring the video recorder.

I'll send you a PM........_/)
Old 17-11-2009, 20:43   #20

Thanks guys, looking forward to the shots and your personal input of what you saw and your overall assessment.. Cheers
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 06:23   #21

Still and Del: really interested in what you see. PM me with pictures PLEASE!
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 06:56   #22

I do know he had some work being done for delamination of some of the strips, and that the keel is out on the ground as well as the masts. The last I seen of it the hull was being faired out. It would probably have to stay at Dagmar's until the bottom is done, unless someone trucked it out.

BTW pictures can not be sent via PM's, just links.
Old 18-11-2009, 08:34   #23

Boat: Cascade
Where do you read 8ft beam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Interesting boat...you guys in the states get all the cool stuff.
44ft with an 8ft beam seems unusual.
I think your assessment may be right Scott...this could be a keeper.

This is whats on the link...

44' LOA, 9'-3" beam, adjustable draft 5.5' to 8.5 feet, displacement 8000 lbs, ballast 4000 lb. 22 hp Universal diesel inboard with folding prop give about 7 .5 knots under power.
Old 18-11-2009, 17:23   #24

OK here ya go.

This thing appears to have a very high build quality...The hull is very fair and hard to detect much flaw. He has definitely paid attention to detail and is a meticulous type person... what little of the strip planking that was still visible was tight and well encapsulated with no signs of air pockets or poor saturation.

The Keel arrangement is unusual to say the least and IMHO will be the toughest part in finishing this design.
Those familiar with racing designs will notice this one has its own mid ship water tight compartment for the keel and its canting hydraulics ( which were not to be seen ) to sit in and does not share the common saloon interior..

This does split the ship in two separate sections..much like a few Bill Garden designed boats....but a definite plus for hull integrity if something were to go awry with the keel...The keel box could basically flood and not affect the safety of the ship from a sinking standpoint.

The sticks seem short for the boat being Keel stepped as they are barley longer then the hull itself and it might be beneficial to deck step them to gain some aspect ratio.

All and all this is one of the finest hulls and decks I have ever seen for a home built...although I did not venture into the craft without having permission and I could not peer into the main salon due to it being locked up.

The plumb bow and the hulls forward sections of entry look exceedingly fine and I wish my boat had it...The stern is canoe and plumb as well.

I tip my hat to this gentleman and what he has accomplished so far.

Whomever is chosen to receive this craft will be handed down some fine craftsmanship..but will also be handed down a boat load of unknowns to deal with as well.

My feeling is if this boat would have not had the complexity of the canting keel it would have been completed long ago..If it were not for that I believe one person could have a sail-a-ble boat within a year of steady work or 2000 man hours however you went about that...All guesses are off with the canting keel as I know little about them and I saw little of the mechanics on site to make it come together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0259.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	11176   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0271.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	11177  

Name:	100_0274.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	11178   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0277.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	11179  

Name:	100_0267.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	11180  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 18-11-2009, 19:00   #25

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Many tanks, Scott. I owe you a beer or three. Tho' it looks to be a sturdy build, it is still too far away from completion for my skills or vision. As the first to express interest, I hereby relinquish my claim on said boat.
Old 18-11-2009, 19:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post

Many tanks, Scott. I owe you a beer or three. Tho' it looks to be a sturdy build, it is still too far away from completion for my skills or vision. As the first to express interest, I hereby relinquish my claim on said boat.

Im with you on that...I'd jump on the bid list for a Navy 44..

Old 18-11-2009, 22:14   #27

Has anyone received a reply from the owner.....

Here are some additional pictures......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PIC_0004 1.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	11182   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0009.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	11183  

Name:	PIC_0011.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	11184   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0006 1.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	11185  

Name:	PIC_0023.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	11186   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0013.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	11187  

Old 19-11-2009, 10:34   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
This is a really great boat. This is a modern version of Red Herring. Red Herring was a legendary experimental boat built in the 1960's with a canting keel. She was notoriously fast. This boat was built in the 80's as an updated version of the original concept. There was an article in WoodenBoat about this boat that told the whole story.

This boat was not home built and had been up and sailing with the retractable, canting keel many years ago. Compared to the complexity of building any boat, the retractable canting keel as it was executed on this boat was the easy part.

Because of the stability of this boat, its light weight and low drag, it did not require a lot of sail area and so sailed very well with the short rig that she was built with.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 04:49   #29

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
This boat was once 55 feet long ?

Quote from here.
CBTFCo.com | Inventors of Canting Ballast Twin Foil™ Technology
Quote:
Canting keels are definitely not a new development, and Francis Herreshoff, among others, is known to have played with them. More recently, an experimental 55-footer called-Red Herring has been sailing out of Bristol, R.l., since the early 80's,and may be the first contemporary cant keeler. Only eight feet wide and sporting a rotating mast ketch rig, she uses canting ballast to overcome her obvious. lack of form stability. And because the hydrofoil strut that supports the ballast bulb loses all effectiveness as an anti-leeway device once it's inclined far to windward, Red Herring is equipped with tandem center boards that can be deployed in various combinations for upwind and reaching work. Compared to conventional yachts, Red Herring gets a lot of speed from a very modest sail area-12 knots-plus in many conditions.
However, twin centerboards, rudder, canting keel, and two rotating spars added up to rather more complexity than most folks would care to handle.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 14:17   #30

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solosailor View Post
The question is; was this designed by a Marine Architect? Or is it some lay person's idea of a good design. It sounds quite interesting and I think it should go like stink!

Did you actually read the guys ad???

"She was built by Norton Boat Works in 1984. Designer is Dave Hubbard who also designed of the pioneering canting keel sailboat, the "Red Herring" and many race winning Class C Catamarans, the fastest class cats in existence. "

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote