Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2016, 14:48   #16

Re: Flex to the fore?

Sounds like delamination to me.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 18:13   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

How is the teak attached? If it is vacuum bagged on without any fasteners that is best. On the other hand if the deck is cored - almost all are - and then the teak is attached with hundreds of screws there is a good chance of water intrusion into the core over time. Replacing a teak deck and fixing wet core is very expensive.

What brand of boat?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 18:18   #18

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I have a Euro made boat, production, higher end like you describe, but the deck is balsa cored. On top is teak. Outer edge of teak decking screwed down; rest is glued. Absolutely no discernible flex.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 08:34   #19

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Imagine this scenario; the foredeck "ape" so called, a young large guy 6'4" 240 pounds of solid muscle, arrives at the dock where the boat is 3 feet below the dock. He has his sea bag in his left hand (30 #) and a case of beer in his left hand. He jumps off the dock onto the deck! Not a difficulty for a young athlete. This one event could easily delaminate a deck for one or more of several reasons; manufacturing defect with the infusion process or light scantlings never intended so suffer close to 285 pounds dropping on the deck. Even a wave dropping on a deck is better distributed than a foot with all that weight on it. I believe a delaminated deck can be repaired though it will be a difficult chore. One of the laminates will have to be removed and the surfaces prepared for re gluing and to insure good contact it is likely a vacuum bag will have to be applied while the epoxy cures. This sort of repair requires a skilled level of work. Good luck. Foufou
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 09:57   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I have yet to see a french or SA cat whose deck doesnt give a tiny bit, stanchions wiggle or shake a hair when walking down the walk ways

The lighter ones tend to have more not as much as a gemini would, but some
Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You are welcome for your surprise.
My boat is in Herzlia , Israel. Pontoo M berth 15.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:52   #21

What would the thickness of the foredeck construction / core material be on a 50ft cruiser? Volume production. Not high end. Would it be the same thickness as the deck hatches? Think BAV,D,JE,BEN etc.
Dumbstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 00:04   #22

What would the thickness of the foredeck construction / core material be on a such a vessel? Volume production. Not high end such as Moody,Oyster or Disco unfortunately. More along the lines of BAV,D,JE,BEN etc. Popular production cruiser type produced within last three years? Would the thickness of the foredeck around the two foredeck hatches be as deep as the deck hatches themselves? For instance, if the hatch casings are 7cm cm would the deck be the same depth all across the frontal area of the forward deck?

I appreciate the thickness of the deck will change and become thinner in other parts of the boat such as side wall's etc. But I had not really appreciated how thick the core could be. Given the injection moulding process of the deck with no separate interior liner I am thinking it must be quite deep.

For perhaps obvious reasons it is difficult to be more specific or graphic. I appreciate that an open forum is not the arena to settle one's issues but often the experience and wisdom of contributors does much to bolster morale and often provides an insightfully fresh technical take on matters. Thank you to all have commented. It is much appreciated.
Dumbstruck is offline   Reply With Quote