Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:39   #1

Boat: Family Cruiser
Finnsailer 35

Hi all!

I'm going this week to look one of these. If she is in good condition I might change my current motorboat to one of these old motorsailers. Just want to have something more roomy and extend my current very limited cruising area.

These boats are quite rare but has anyone of you Cruisersforum readers experience about Finnsailer 35, its propertyes and what to look when buying one as used.
HeikkiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:53   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Finnsailer 35

I own a Finnsailer 38, which is a very different boat. Mine is for sale too! But, I can say that I have been very pleased with the construction quality, and things have held up very well for a 1978 boat. People can't believe my boat is as old as that when they see her. On that age I would check the engine out carefully, as that could be a major expense to rebuild or replace. Mine has the Perkins 4.236, and parts, etc., are easy to find.
Old 16-05-2013, 02:45   #3

Thanks Kettlewell. Engine was Valmet 411 from 1986 run 3800h. Engine looked clean and tidy and runs fine. Don’t know if these hours are a lot for this kind of engine or not. I don’t know if any of exported Finnsailors has this engine but it is very much like Perkins, big sized four cylinder diesel with moderate power of 75hp. Boat had a lot of usable equipment installed lately but some defects also. Sice I felt it is a bit overpriced I might still look for some others on sales also. This needs now some serious thinking, it is also big economical commitment for me, but on other hand I would get proper boat capable also for longer distances.
Old 08-07-2013, 14:16   #4

Curious if you ended up purchasing the Finnsailer 35. If so, how is the boat working out?
Chrissy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 12:08   #5

Well just at last week I did look for another Finnsailer 35. It was not as well equipped but it was in very tidy and good condition and also not as expensive as first one which by the way is still on sale also. As I have talked to owners of these boats it seems that it is more likely a displacement motorcruiser than sailing yacht and these boats are rarely sailed. Anyhow I dont see that so bad as I more likely try to find something like seaworthy motorcruiser with sails. It seems now that I can't make my mind, it might be that I allow still time to past to get sure.