Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 06:19   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Pretty quick ;-) Seriously, they are too racy for cruising imo but they are strong. They have a steel frame connecting the keel with mast and chainplates/rigging.

cheers,
Nick.
i Nick , after i wrote the message i had a look on YACHT&Sail TV channel, i found some interesting videos.

They show the XC-45, as you say they look like "ferraris" on the sea.
XC 45 - Barche nuove - Modelli - Yacht & Sail.

Even don't understand a lot the italian language, but my idea is for to have a look on the images.

Cheers
boggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:39   #62

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
Another Maine build boat that I did not see mentioned = Sabre

Sailboats Hand Crafted in Maine; Sabre Yachts

These are well built and sail well.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 11:01   #63

Sabre are prety inside. have you got an idea about prices?
Old 30-12-2009, 14:53   #64

For those who are interested to follow this forum, i knew recently if you're looking for a " FEELING" yacth with retractable keel, it might not be a good choise for blue water cruising as this kind of system might get overstreesed after a long period.

I met recently some guys on a regata that they have a racer "Feeling" with 10 years they just toold these boat good to sail on river , or places with calm waters with low deepth.

If any one of you got one with these boats just give me your opinion.

Cheers and Happy New Year
Old 30-12-2009, 16:18   #65

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggie View Post

They show the XC-45, as you say they look like "ferraris" on the sea.
So, these being "ferraris", what are the Ferrari (of the sea)?

Overpowered, flashy, spending more time in the garage than on the road ... Wally?

;-)))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 17:25   #66

Boat: Sweden Yachts 34
Open ocean

"Euro boats not made for open oceans...."
Words fail me.

Speaking as someone who has actually put lots of sea miles on boats from every builder mentioned, plus Hinckleys and Sabres, I can unequivocally say that all these builders make boats that can cross oceans in comfort and safety.

The build quality of the average Scandinavian boat through the 70s and 80s was superior to all but the top-drawer American boats, and even now Malo, Najad and H-R are better built than just about any boat from this side of the pond.

The Baltic, the North Sea, the English Channel are pretty tough sailing grounds and the Europeans tend to build boats that can cope with them. Yes, even Bavaria/Jeanneau/Beneteau.
timberboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 16:12   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
For those who are interested to follow this forum, i knew recently if you're looking for a " FEELING" yacth with retractable keel, it might not be a good choise for blue water cruising as this kind of system might get overstreesed after a long period.

I met recently some guys on a regata that they have a racer "Feeling" with 10 years they just toold these boat good to sail on river , or places with calm waters with low deepth.

If any one of you got one with these boats just give me your opinion.

Cheers and Happy New Year
Well I delivered a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper (lift keel twin rudder) from Portsmouth, UK to Olhau, Portugal with a non stop crossing of the Biscay... Ok the most we had was a F7 but she went like a dream with the keel up all the way.... the ballast is fine, all the drop keel does is counter wind drift close hauled. In fact its recommended that the keel be up for winds abaft the beam..... she flew.
Feelings I imagine are pretty much the same... you'll allways get the "Doom Brigade"......
All boats break if pushed to hard in bad conditions....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 16:30   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Beneteac's are OK

Quote:
Hello everybody !

I would like to have some feed-back from experienced owners and sailors about these boats:

- Hallberg-Rassy
- Mallo
- Najad
- Regina
- Hanse
-Jeaneau
-Beneteau
-Bavaria

What is your impression about thes manufactures , after you bought any one of this boats?

Tks
Solo'd a Beneteau Oceanis 321 in 2001 non stop St Maarten FWI to UK in 47 days, great boat no rig failures no problems anywhere on the boat,
Solo'd Beneteau 331 St Maarten FWI 2007 21 days to Faial, Azores then 9 days to Portimao, Portugal.... no rig failures or other problems..
Would not take one into the "Roaring Forties" but for the average cruising person they're roomy comfortable well laid out boats..... a lot better than the equivalent Bavaria.... having been on one I would feel a bit nervous about doing a similar trips on it....
Not to say I would'nt... I'd just be a lot more careful and reef in sooner...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-01-2010, 16:42   #69

Boat: deboated
When you buy a car you look at the price range you can afford and then compare models. So why is a French boat built for the rental market compared with multimillion dollar models and then ridiculed for not matching up? I do not see the point and reading this thread makes it sound like all are very wealthy can afford any make or model.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 17:17   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
When you buy a car you look at the price range you can afford and then compare models. So why is a French boat built for the rental market compared with multimillion dollar models and then ridiculed for not matching up? I do not see the point and reading this thread makes it sound like all are very wealthy can afford any make or model.

Hear Hear.....
you buy what you can afford.... the rest is just a dream. Personally give me the Beneteau anytime.... tho right now all I can afford is my Coribbee 21.... Great Boat that introduced Ellen Mcarthur to fame and fortune...

Old 22-01-2010, 15:51   #71

Boat: in between boats
Hi, LarryB here,
I will have to go with Hampus, US built boats give you alot more bang for the $$. I could work another ten years, save every penny and still not be able to afford many of the euro boats mentioned, and at 54 I do not intend on working another ten years.
Blue water vs coastal cruiser. From many experienced sailors accounts, the worst seas and heaviest winds they have encountered have been off of north west coast of US, in coastal water. More than one circum-navigator found the most challenging conditions when sailing his last leg from Seattle to SF.
Right now, I opt to take my meager savings, buy a early 80's Catalina 38 and with what's left, go sailing. With the right safety gear and communication equipment and the boat properly maintained I will go anywhere the wind blows me. with the exception of Cape Horn, I will never sail in those waters. SF to Cost Rica and maybe the So. Pacific and back will keep me happy the rest of my effective sailing life. There are many US production boats that can handle such cruising in style and comfort. Go now, while you can, or risk never going.
Thank you Frank Butler for Catalina yachts, for opening up the pleasure of sail to so many, not just those with deep pcokets and the aristocratic elite.
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 16:37   #72

Boat: deboated
well said! One of my main beefs about the pro Multihull people when they try and convice people that their boats are superior vs Mono is $$$. They are not comparing dollar for dollar boats, two motors are better than one, well most have enough trouble maintaining one so two is double the $$ and so on. Have fun on your Catalina a better boat than most like to admit.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 09:41   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Multihull v Mono...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
well said! One of my main beefs about the pro Multihull people when they try and convice people that their boats are superior vs Mono is $$$. They are not comparing dollar for dollar boats, two motors are better than one, well most have enough trouble maintaining one so two is double the $$ and so on. Have fun on your Catalina a better boat than most like to admit.
Multihull sailors are like Monohull sailors, poor one's and 'rich' ones ... Perspectively... you got a bigger nicer boat than me = your rich...
Having sailed both types, up to 21/47ft mono, 19/30ft open bridgedeck multi... in the lower price brackets, as far as I'm concerned they are both equally good in their own ways...
I'd happiely own either....

Old 26-01-2010, 03:16   #74

Boat: Kerr 11.3
I am a bit late to the party, but I used to sell Beneteaus here in Jersey and the Channel Islands. I used to make regular comparisons between Beneteau and Jeanneau and indeed Bavaria. Although I sold the Beneteau brand and will no doubt be thought to be biased I always found that the interior finish and layouts were more roomy and homely than the Jenneau, whilst the build quality and finish of both the Beneteau and Jeannea were vastly superior to the Bavaria.
The latest breed of 40 and 50 footers in the First range are superb boats.
Old 27-01-2010, 06:50   #75
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Hi, LarryB here,
I will have to go with Hampus, US built boats give you alot more bang for the $$. I could work another ten years, save every penny and still not be able to afford many of the euro boats mentioned, and at 54 I do not intend on working another ten years.
That is true but caused by the downfall of the US$. It lost 50% or so of it's value so now when you buy something that is priced in Euro's and only have US$ you need to come up with twice as much of them as before.

However, looking at 2nd hand yachts in the US, is a Beneteau that more expensive than a Catalina? And there's also a lot of very expensive US built boats... you have to compare boats that fall within the same category for any meaningful results. I mean, you can't compare a Contest or Halberg Rassy to a Catalina or Hunter, just as you can't compare a Hinckley to a Bavaria.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote