Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 16:01   #31

Boat: Spindrift (Starwind) 19, Catalina 22, Hobie 14, AMF Puffer 12
Re: Dinghy recommendation for SMALL boat...

So many good suggestions, thank you very much!
"I can't imagine a 19 boat out in too much weather."

You are correct, the Great Lakes are nothing to be trifled with. I have sailed both Superior & Michigan in a 19' Gaff/Cutter I built & one needs to watch the weather and wave conditions before they venture out on either one.

"As for hauling fuel and stores, how much do you think a 19' boat holds?"

Not much!!! Fuel is really the only thing I would be hauling, other than myself. There are lots of places to explore that only a dinghy or kayak can get to. So when the hook goes out I'd like to hop in something to go peek around... and swimming in Superior is out of the question.
Thanks again for the many good ideas... now let's see what I come up with.
Latitude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 13:24   #32

Boat: Catalina 22

For dinghy motor, go electric. I use a 2 man PVC inflatable with motor mount, powered by a small Newport trolling motor and a 12AH AGM battery.

No gas, and the motor stows very easily. Also the AGM provides an extra battery for emergencies.
Larryish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 14:22   #33

Boat: Catalina 22

To add: got the lot of it from Amazon Prime for around $300. Boat with motor mount and manual air pump, motor, battery, and 12V air pump.
Larryish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:13   #34

This one might work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	206654  
Valyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:13   #35

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

It does not matter, so much, what size boat you are going to.
It matters what you have to cross to get to it, in what conditions, carrying how much load. If you'll be towing the dinghy, then a more sea-kindly dinghy might be less drag than a slogging inflatable, especially one that might skip around, or even fly, in the wind.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:38   #36

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Just tow a 7 or 8 foot skiff. Much more practical than a kayak for carrying groceries, water, another person, etc. No need for a motor if it rows well. KISS. I towed a skiff 2000 miles, some offshore (dicey, but sometimes you need to take small risks). You probably will not be in water where there is any problem towing.
jalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:26   #37

https://www.bicsport.com/boats.html
I have been using an older used SportYak. The key consideration is that in Ontario it works fine with TLC. The sun is an enemy, so inside non sailing storage is important. My trips might be a week at a time in a 17' Cat boat with a cabin.

Many great ideas being posted. Thank you

Don
SailAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 13:51   #38
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Probably wading ashore is a good idea, but if you want a compact kayak that's easy to put together, there's the Oru Kayak.
Not cheap, or terribly strong, but very light.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 15:01   #39

I have a 19 starwind in my yard on a trailer. Great little boat that I’d like to sell. Have a Morgan OI 41 now. As far as a dink, are you going to have Davies to keep it up when not needed, tow behind always, put on deck? How many people, 2 I assume. These issues determine the best choices. Marc in New Orleans
captmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 20:26   #40

I like this design. Weighs about 50lbs. It's vinyl not hypalon which is lighter and easy to manage but not as durable as hypalon. https://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable...aran-nc290.asp
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:02   #41

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude42 View Post
I have a 19' Spindrift (Starwind) sailboat. Getting things fixed to do some sailing on Lake Michigan & Superior this summer. Some of the destinations I'd like to visit seem to require a dinghy. In the past I just beached my other 19" I built, this one draws 18".

It is difficult for me to imagine where on Lake Superior or Lake Michigan it would be worthwhile to have a dinghy for a boat that draws 18" unless there is some sort of regulatory situation you're trying to overcome.

For example, by statute, it is lawful to land and launch a hand-carried, human-powered boat on public land anywhere in Minnesota (and possibly other states), while there are various restrictions on wading, swimming, beaching, etc etc.

If that's what's going on then a lightweight, inflatable "donut" dinghy, with oars or paddles, is going to be the lightest and easiest to stow, and will work for those rare situations where it's useful, and tick the various regulatory boxes. With 18" draft you won't be dinghying further than 50 yards.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 14:10   #42
Jim Kerney, PedPox-Pedestal Pockets

Boat: Sabre 402 Sloop

My boat is bigger, but when I sail solo, I tow a 9’ kayak and its awesome for exploring and its easy to tow. I throw the paddle and the life jacket in, and seal the cockpit with a bungee corded piece of sunbrella to keep water out. Easy to tow and handy to get around in quickly.

Yes, a large fuel can would be a challenge but smaller cans, groceries, chainsaws, snowshoes, and a 42 pound dog have all (but not together) joined me in the kayak.

And, I have a reverse or scoop transom which makes boarding easy.
PedPox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, dinghy, men, small boat