Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2012, 06:56   #31

Boat: Careel 22
Re: Crack in Ferro Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Bill, he hasn't logged in since early Feb, so someone needs to do bit of googling because we need to see the photos of this boat.

Pete
G'day Pete,

I tried searching for that damaged Hartley South Seas but could find no information on the net. I guess our mate may have ignored the neg' advice and gone ahead with buying the boat and is now busy with the repair job, or, we frightened him off having anything to do with a FC boat...I hope not.
Oh well, he may return and fill us in on his progress, with or without that FC boat.

Bill
Australia
Old 24-05-2012, 07:00   #32

Boat: 47 Ft Donzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irgnz1000 View Post
Hi Guys, New here.
One question or more depends how the answers go.
We are looking at a 12m (38 foot), Hartley south seas ferro hull boat.
A lot of boat for the money they are asking.
Now this boat has been on the hard for nearly 12years-previously in the water sailing around New Zealand, It has developed a crack down the length of the keel, Almost dead center and 1/2 inch deep, smaller than 1/8 accross.
Is this a stress crack from siting to long and easily repaired?? OR is it caused by the steel rusting and blowing the concrete apart. It is a straight line therefore I am thinking it is running along the line of the reinforcing.
All ideas gratefully received.
Take the advise of others here ,run The reason is unless you have a professional servey done with a digital radar , you will never completely know the severity of the the crack . What you see on the outside is not a serious as what is takeing place on the inner part of the keel . message me if you need more advise.
thanks
gelcoatjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 18:37   #33

Digital radar?
Fiberglass1Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 10:48   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass1Inc View Post
Digital radar?
Yeah, Danny it's kinda like n Ultra Sound except it is done with Xray. I have seen it used on large cracks in keels,transomes.
Old 27-05-2012, 10:54   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Zeehag The nice thing about Formosas are the leaky teaky decks. You can take a shower anywhere inside. I always wondered why they bothered to put a head in them.
Ha Ha...LOL!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 16:19   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelcoatjeff View Post
Yeah, Danny it's kinda like n Ultra Sound except it is done with Xray.
Say WHAT??? Maybe we can get Scotty to come up from the Enterprise's engine room and explain that one to us mortals...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-05-2012, 19:23   #37

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Zeehag The nice thing about Formosas are the leaky teaky decks. You can take a shower anywhere inside. I always wondered why they bothered to put a head in them.
Scratch Formosas from my list I thought plastic/glass boats were all plastic/glas...Teak decking trim/boards mounted/laid on plastic/glass decks...Seems I was wrong
I'm now going back to thinking a well built FC boat, hull and deck, may well be the best way to go, I've never seen a report of FC decks leaking and by all accounts, FC boats are very dry/comfortable boats in all weather

Bill
Australia
Old 27-05-2012, 21:49   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Say WHAT??? Maybe we can get Scotty to come up from the Enterprise's engine room and explain that one to us mortals...

Cheers,

Jim

Radar that's really an X-Ray? Even Scotty is gonna have a hard time explaining that one...

Millimeter wave coherent radar is at a point where it could probably be used to great effect in this sort of application, but it is still almost entirely a military item and extremely expensive. Ultrasound as we all know is used regularly for steel boat diagnostics, but I doubt it would work well on ferro for the same reasons that it doesnt work well on FRP, the medium doesn't transmit sound waves efficiently enough. Thermal imaging would certainly work well on ferro, probably better than on just about any other medium actually. It would be the way to go. But just getting it imaged would cost a large percentage of the purchase price being discussed here, so it's clearly not an option.

http://www.gtri.gatech.edu/history/i...al-recognition
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 04:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Cheers,

Jim
The process is call GPR and yes it works in FRP and concrete. GPR stands fro Ground Penentrating Radar. The Charge for the service is around $200 dollars for an hour scan and print out. Contact Me if you need mor info. Otherwise I am done with this thread .
Old 28-05-2012, 07:05   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
Scratch Formosas from my list I thought plastic/glass boats were all plastic/glas...Teak decking trim/boards mounted/laid on plastic/glass decks...Seems I was wrong
I'm now going back to thinking a well built FC boat, hull and deck, may well be the best way to go, I've never seen a report of FC decks leaking and by all accounts, FC boats are very dry/comfortable boats in all weather

Bill
Australia

each boat is individual and dependent upon previous owners.
i found, from experience, ferros in rainy weather, can and will leak inside worse than anything i have ever seen--and i have seen fg over ply--eeegads, are these wet, and almost everything else. there is nothing wrong with a well kept formosa.
there is a problem when a ferro begins to break down and crumble. there seems to be no way to repair this event. when this begns, the boat leaks inside so bad ye need an umbrella to stay dry inside boat. same as fg over ply...LOL
y'all can make fun of my formosa all ye want--but i KNOW what i have--a great cruiser that does EXACTLY what it was designed to do --cruise COMFORTABLY in big winds under sail. the formosas are easily repaired-- ferro is a bit more difficult, once the previous owners fail to maintain the boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 09:32   #41
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
The process is call GPR and yes it works in FRP and concrete. GPR stands fro Ground Penentrating Radar. The Charge for the service is around $200 dollars for an hour scan and print out. Contact Me if you need mor info. Otherwise I am done with this thread .

Could you give us a link to a company that uses ground penetrating radar on boats? All I can find online is companies that use it on the ground...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 14:58   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
G'Day Jeff,

Say mate, you sound a bit miffed! Hope that I didn't offend you, but really, "Yeah, Danny it's kinda like n Ultra Sound except it is done with Xray." is a strange way to describe GPR, being that it uses neither ultra sound nor x-rays.

I too would like to know about folks using this technique on boats.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
ferro, keel