Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 13:58   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Covering up nuts

This is what worries me about the cruising life for those of us that have been on or around the water for years

It gets so slow that your world shrinks down to things like nuts being ugly.

Which probably explains why many younger folks cruise for a couple years then go on to the next thing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 14:05   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
This is what worries me about the cruising life for those of us that have been on or around the water for years

It gets so slow that your world shrinks down to things like nuts being ugly.

Which probably explains why many younger folks cruise for a couple years then go on to the next thing
There is a joke in there, maybe several, but Im gonna resist the urge to actually post it. [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 16:17   #18

Boat: Cobbling one together

Quote:
Originally Posted by um saudade View Post
Aesthetics aside, I would never use a backing plate instead of a nut when you want watertight integrity in this application.

You can re-torque or check torque with a nut on the inside without turning the bolt. This way you don’t disturb the bedding or whatever you originally used for sealing. Turn the bolt a quarter turn and you pulled the dried out calking lose and now have a potential leak.
There are a number of ways to prevent this, I was just tired of typing. For example I assume you've seen gaskets in engines, or for mounting portholes? They seem to work as I recall. And if you like, you can use them along with epoxy bonding the fasteners, & tapping a piece of plate. Bonded fasteners tend to remain fairly well sealed.