Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 10:20   #46

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Cost of painting the hull

I think I'm learning something here. My understanding of printhrough is the mat or roving showing through the gel or paint. I thought this occured at the time of manufacture, either it happens or does not.

So it seems that over time the mat or roving can begin to show through even if it didn't originally. It seems this suggests the layers of mat or roving can change position over time, moving closer to the surface? Seems odd.

One can prime and paint, it looks good, and much later print through occurs?

I have fifteen year old flag blue Imron over light blue gel coat. Still looks good if not bristol, no printhrough. I prefer the dark hull for aesthetic reasons enough to not worry about the issues mentioned. I dont think the boat is falling apart as a result, hope not.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:38   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A friend of mine bought a beautiful boat that had been repainted a metallic dark green by the PO, who owned a car dealership and had his paint shop do the job.

Funny thing about automotive paint, or at least THAT job. One weekend against a dock with perfectly clean new fenders...and there were patches worn through the paint. My friend was not a happy camper.

From what I'm told the "new" water-based zero volatile paints that the auto industry is required to use now, are even worse.

There's a reason that boats and planes still use the toxic two-part paints made for that purpose, and don't get taken to Earl Schibe.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:29   #48
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
I think I'm learning something here. My understanding of printhrough is the mat or roving showing through the gel or paint. I thought this occured at the time of manufacture, either it happens or does not.

So it seems that over time the mat or roving can begin to show through even if it didn't originally. It seems this suggests the layers of mat or roving can change position over time, moving closer to the surface? Seems odd.

One can prime and paint, it looks good, and much later print through occurs?

I have fifteen year old flag blue Imron over light blue gel coat. Still looks good if not bristol, no printhrough. I prefer the dark hull for aesthetic reasons enough to not worry about the issues mentioned. I dont think the boat is falling apart as a result, hope not.

The cure cycle of the resin in your laminate is never really comeplete. As resin cures, it shrinks. This means print through often occurs over time, and is accelerated by high temps, be it painting the boat a dark color or simply keeping it in the tropics or both. A carefully skin coated boat may indeed never show print through, as there is nothing to print through.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:41   #49

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Got it. Thanks Minaret.
Old 08-05-2016, 14:54   #50

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

A pro vehicle painter once told me that even though it isn't as pretty as candy apple red, white was the only color for his truck.
Old 13-02-2017, 05:11   #51

Boat: Tayana 37 1985 cutter
Send a message via AIM to usrowboy Send a message via Yahoo to usrowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Pearl View Post
Just bought a 1979 Tayanna 37, one owner boat well maintained but needs new paint, botom, topsides, deck, remove cytology and varnish exterior wood. Can you give me a guesstimate?
I have an 85 Tayana 37 in the shop right now. Doing extensive work on cosmetics; teak, Plas-Deck, bowsprit, prop shaft/stuffing box/cutless housing and bearing, Max-Prop, and hopefully, $ willing, Awlgrip.

Will let you know when I get the estimate.

Rowboy

Tags
hull, paint