Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 04:42   #1

Consider buying a Bruce Roberts

I was abord a Bruce Robertson recently. The owner bought it from the builder who build it all by himself. It is a 43 with a longer aft end, so 45 feet. GRP and lead keel. Finished in 2010 after 18 years, and everything seems so well made, really impressing, and only high quality products.
I am considering buying it, but isnt that a really risky business? I can never be sure that everything is made just the right way, and maybe it will be impossible to sell ever again?
Another thing is that it has furling mast, i dont like that at all, but maybe it can be rebuild into a conventional mast?
jesperht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Consider buying a Bruce Roberts

I built a Bruce-Roberts, the first 43 ft trawler. I've assumed it has low resale value, but that's a problem for my heirs, not me. Someone will get a rough but study miniature ship.

You can find disasterous problems in professionally built boats, too.

The bigger question might be whether you want to take on a project at this point. I don't mean that the boat is in project condition, but that you are already thinking about re-rigging, which is a big job and expensive. Are you ready for that, or would a boat that is closer to your dreams as is be a better choice?
Old 06-07-2020, 03:10   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Couple of recent posts about Bruce Roberts yachts, suggest you review this one.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rt-234864.html
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 14:24   #4

Boat: 45 Bruce Robert Spray Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperht View Post
I was abord a Bruce Robertson recently. The owner bought it from the builder who build it all by himself. It is a 43 with a longer aft end, so 45 feet. GRP and lead keel. Finished in 2010 after 18 years, and everything seems so well made, really impressing, and only high quality products.
I am considering buying it, but isnt that a really risky business? I can never be sure that everything is made just the right way, and maybe it will be impossible to sell ever again?
Another thing is that it has furling mast, i dont like that at all, but maybe it can be rebuild into a conventional mast?
We have a Bruce Roberts Ketch 45' Ketch. While recently upgrading our sails, we considered a furler, decided against it because we use our sails in different configurations based on intensity of wind and never had a need to reef the jib. Besides, it's just another mechanism to "go bad" at the worst times!

If you're interested, our S/v Susanna is located on the Chesapeake Bay and is for sale. Feel free to email us at Susanna at gmail.com if you would like more information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Susanna Full Sails.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	224523  
Old 02-10-2020, 14:34   #5

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

dont compare a 'Bruce Roberts' label to manufacturers labels - there is no consistency in bruce roberts designs because most are built by owners. Having said that, I've nothing but praise for the maker of my boat - I bought it because i recognised the excellent bones beneath a neglected surface. The design is good because Roberts designs are usually based on existing successful designs, in my case a sailmaker doing some work for me was easily able to recognise the boat upon which my boat design was based and understand how to deal with the sail plan accordingly.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 18:35   #6
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

You should also read through:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rt-234864.html
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bruce roberts, buying