Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 07:15   #31

Boat: Morgan 22
If all you want in exerience on Lake Lanier check out Barefoot Sailing Club. They are not expensive and a very friendly group. They'll let you get on a number of boats before you spend any of your own money and they are good people to learn from.
MTrejchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:01   #32

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Sailnoob

I've noticed some nice(and somewhat unique) sailboats for sail on Lake Lanier and wonder what's the nearest navigable waterway to the Atlantic Ocean. Or at the least(and the addition of almost a thousand miles) the Gulf of Mexico, and THEN to the Atlantic.

I'm considering buying a saiboat of Lake Lanier, then sailing from big-water input to the Great Lakes, beginning in off-season(like February or March) and being in Great Lakes by May or so.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:10   #33

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Sailnoob

I've noticed some nice(and somewhat unique) sailboats for sail on Lake Lanier and wonder what's the nearest navigable waterway to the Atlantic Ocean. Or at the least(and the addition of almost a thousand miles) the Gulf of Mexico, and THEN to the Atlantic.

I'm considering buying a saiboat of Lake Lanier, then sailing from big-water input to the Great Lakes, beginning in off-season(like February or March) and being in Great Lakes by May or so.

I bet that would be a chilly ride, most of the way. The Lakes are just getting sailable by May. We launch May 1 (this year) and I'm not betting on balmy weather.

Earlier.....(shiver).

But you might get lucky. Global warming and all that.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:33   #34

coastal sailing caution

The biggest potential problem with coastal cruising is making the decision to head in or out IF you're caught in some weather. Sea room is your friend. A lee shore is not. An inlet in a blow is about as dangerous as things can get, especially at night. IF the boat being sailed can not heave to on the off shore tack and take some weather for a period of time the only option is to gamble and try to make the inlet. Not a condition I'd like to be in. A coastal only cruiser needs to be very very aware of up coming weather. More so than a vessel that has the option of heading off shore to gain sea room. For me the ability to heave to is a boat's biggest asset. Much more important than the boat's interior volume or settee layout.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:01   #35

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
And I think you'd be amazed by the number of people who don't know how to or have never tried to heave to.

There was a piece in Cruising World (?) last year in which a well-known author (name escapes me) admitted he had never hove to in all his years of sailing. He was surprised to find it's actually quite easy.

We were caught out in some thunderstorms last year -- literally caught: I had time to reef the main, but not to get the drifter in. But I hove to anyway and Connemara sat there quite calmly while the squall passed over. I was mostly worried about the drifter getting blown out.

We've practiced heaving to. It's how we do our COB drills and I've been known to heave to to eat a sandwich and watch the races. Once you've done it a few times, it's second nature.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:17   #36

I owned a Catalina 27 for ten years. Sailed annually from NY to Nantucket then shipped it to SF where we sailed the bay and nearby coast for a few years. It was a problem free boat and as others have said it is not an ocean crossing design but does a nice job of quick coastal cruising. It is a well balanced boat and if you dont fly too much sail it can be self steered with a couple of pieces of shock cord and a light line lead to the jib clew.
BruM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:33   #37

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
On our sail from S.F. to Channel Islands we buddy-boated some w/ a retired couple aboard a Catalina 27. They were entered in the Baha Ha Ha, weathered a blow fine, and are now cruising the Sea of Cortez. A friend here is setting his up to also head south.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:19   #38

Boat: Beneteau 473
Try Ann at Snug Harbor Boats in Buford. She is a great broker and will know all the boats on Lake Lanier. I have purchased two boats from her. Also, Southern Sailing Club is a great club to get started with. Only $50 per year to join and you can sail with multiple folks.
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina