Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2010, 16:22   #1

Boat: deboated
Caribbean Purchase

Could do with some idea as to ex charter boat pricing in the Carribean and any pitfalls based on personnal experience. Not so much from boat condition side as I am aware of many of those from previous experience and being a mechanic as well so that side is covered I hope. There are a lot of boats available and I suspect not as many buyers especially at this time so the usual 10% discount I would think would be exceeded in many cases but that's why I am asking - MarkJ did you get my private message on the subject? Look forward to any help offered from fellow cruisers.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 01:18   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I'Ve purchased an ex-charter boat before and did a lot of searching around at the time. The selection of ex-charter boats in the BVI is by far the biggest, so if you want to take a look a number of boats and get an idea for price-quality ratios that is the place to go. Quite often the owners selling boats coming out of charter tend to remember the promises given by the Charter salesman at the time they signed their contracts and put the boats on the market with inflated prices and expectations. It does make sense to look into getting a buyer's broker - someone who knows the market and most likely also knows the boat.

There are quite a few boats being sold out of charter, many going to Europe and points beyond so be aware that it is not a 100% buyer's market.

There are also a number of boats being sold on the French-speaking islands that can be a good deal, but it does help if you speak a bit French to make things go smoother and you might have to fly to Guadeloupe or Martinique in order to see just one boat.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:41   #3

Boat: Rhodes 32
We sold a Beneteau out of charter a little while ago, and I thought the surveyor on the deal had a great line. He had surveyed quite a few of these same boats out of charter or for deals. Because of the recession charter boats are coming out much fresher than in years past. For example, he was seeing engine hours on five year boats half what they used to be. The boats are coming out cleaner. He speculated that not only are there fewer charters but that the charter guests who have been going down to the BVI's are little higher class too.

This is just an opinion, and I honestly haven't seem enough charter boats to verify. While the boat we sold was exceptionally clean and well maintained, a lot depends on the owner-charter relationship.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 07:51   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanship View Post
We sold a Beneteau out of charter a little while ago, and I thought the surveyor on the deal had a great line. He had surveyed quite a few of these same boats out of charter or for deals. Because of the recession charter boats are coming out much fresher than in years past. For example, he was seeing engine hours on five year boats half what they used to be. The boats are coming out cleaner. He speculated that not only are there fewer charters but that the charter guests who have been going down to the BVI's are little higher class too.

This is just an opinion, and I honestly haven't seem enough charter boats to verify. While the boat we sold was exceptionally clean and well maintained, a lot depends on the owner-charter relationship.
Now - that's quite interesting and, on reflection, I think its fairly true. I'm lucky enough to be delivering a great many ex charter boats from bvi fleets either back to owners on phase-out, or to new owners who have bought down here. In fact, I'm taking one up to Norfolk Va tomorrow (well, I'm signing for it on behalf of the owner on phase-out from "A Well Known Charter Company" and should be ready to move out in a couple of days).

They do seem to be overall in better condition lately - certainly better than some of the dogs I have had the pleasure of moving over the years!

Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 09:14   #5

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober
Pop down about a week after a big hurricane! (probably have to wait for next year)
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean