Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 19:36   #1

Canadian For Sale Listings

Hi Everyone

What websites to Canadians (especially B.C. Canadians) use to peruse sailboat for sail listings.

Here in NZ we use a website called Trademe.co.nz . Its similar to ebay and is the pretty much the place to go to but anything. It caters for all the sailboats worth only a few grand through to brand new boats.

Moored boats | Yachts & sail boats | Trade Me

Is there anything like this for canada?

I have found sailboatlistings.com and yachtworld.com both of which seem more focused toward America and both of which seem a bit light on listings considering the population of Canada.

Asking because I may move there in a few months.

thanks in advance.
cowlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 00:48   #2

Re: Canadian For Sale Listings

There doesn't seem to be an edit button. Sorry for the poor spelling and misplaced words. Ill work harder next time.
cowlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:14   #3

Boat: Ericson 35-2

New & used sailboats for sale British Columbia. Find; masts, charters, catamarans, sails, sunfish, riggs and more on Kijiji.ca

This and Yachtworld.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 19:22   #4

In Canada there's of course Kijiji and craigslist, and they seem to have the most listings. There are a few proprietary Canada-wide websites (eg boatdealers.ca, boatcan.com) and I think autotrader.ca has boat listings. Many boat brokers use a 'skinned' version of yachtworld's engine.

I keep tabs on boat sales here in Canada via rss feeds or regular visits. If you want some links for BC, or you're searching for a specific type or make, PM me and i'll see what shows up.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 20:16   #5

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Lake-Effect: if I were to shop for an old, but well-maintained cruiser in Ontario, would you say that Kijiji + Yachtworld represent pretty much everything that is up for sale in that category, or is driving along shore and walking around the docks still a reasonable method to dig up more prospects?
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 20:32   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Yachtworld, advanced selection=Canada+BC
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 21:16   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I've bought and sold several boats on kijiji. IMHO, kijiji is the place to look. Any interesting boat I've found on other sites, like individual yacht club classified web pages, were also listed in kijiji. Can you tell I like kijiji?

Also, this is worth a look:
Used Sailboats in central Canada
Its a listing (with links) to all the major sailboat sites in central canada.

Also, its a real buyers market. So don't be afraid to make an offer substantially lower than the asking price if you like a boat, but not the price.

In my area, craigslist is not used by anyone.
Ebay is dominated by american boats, many hurricane damaged.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:14   #8

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

I would suggest usedvictoria.com and usedvancouver.com Both sites are free and are getting lots of boats listed on them.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
if I were to shop for an old, but well-maintained cruiser in Ontario, would you say that Kijiji + Yachtworld represent pretty much everything that is up for sale in that category, or is driving along shore and walking around the docks still a reasonable method to dig up more prospects?
I agree with hamburking; kijiji seems to be the single best site to find boats for sale by owner, and especially for that older but serviceable cruiser that's too old/cheap to interest a broker. But it's still a fraction of the whole market. You can see the Kijiji listings for all of ontario by going to ontario.kijiji.ca

If you are searching for a newer, more expensive boat, you should also look at the broker listings (mostly on yachtworld).

Diligence pays off. If you haven't narrowed your search to a few models, then keep watching the online sites. Ontario Sailor and GAM magazines have for sale listings. And try to visit the marinas in your area, and yacht clubs if you know a member. You will start to get a better idea of the market and what you want. You may also fall across some forlorn cruiser with the tattered "For Sale" sign on it that exactly fits the bill.

If you have settled on a specific make/model, try to find an online forum for that particular make. You will gain alot of insight about the boat, and you will often find for sale posts from owners who are moving up or retiring.

When we were searching for a Sandpiper, we scoured the online ads of course, but the boat we eventually bought was advertised in a small town's weekly flyer, that someone had mentioned in the Sandpiper forum.

This book helped us gain an understanding of the process.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30   #10

Boat: hunter 376

I would still consider broker listed boats, around Vancouver, Vancouver Island, and even Seattle. Most sellers are expecting a commission to come from their own pockets, and may be only a little higher on asking than a private listing. There is a much better selection, and several boats can be evaluated on the same dock on the same trip. I'm not clear on the market where you are at, but here in BC, clean, well kept "brand-name" boats that are listed for fair market or slightly below do sell quickly. Good luck, hope to see you in BC.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:50   #11

Been surfing boat ads for years. Suggestions above are bang on.Kijiji is the Craigslist of Canada except for Vancouver where they have a healthy use of CL it seems. When I see a nice boat on Kijiji (in Canada), I will search craigslist (in America) and see what the same vessel is going for. Sometimes shocking.
SunnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 13:35   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Take a look at boats on the Great Lakes. There are a few charters in the North Channel and the Lakes in particular, including the US, have a lot of gently used sweet-water boats. This will require some effort and you may need to look for marinas and yards in various towns using the internet and a map. Economic pressure around the lakes has put many vessels on the hard for several years. You yard in Muskegon (Torresen) has several rows of yachts for sale. Many boats are for sale by owner and listed on the public boards at the various yacht clubs.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 20:24   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Some very good points above. I'm sorry to say that some of the best deals on sailboats are in the economically depressed areas. In particular, the south shore of lake erie comes to mind. Older boat prices vary greatly based not just on condition, but location as well, and there are some bargains out there....I should know, I'm sailing one. There's money in Toronto, which keeps boat prices high there, but as you move north, the prices drop. Same goes for heading east up the st lawrence river. And as mentioned above, great lakes boats tend to be in better condition....sweet water, and the boats are only in the water half the year, and then seldom used at that.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 19:53   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

current brokerage boats at Torresens in Muskegon. These are a few of the small to medium sized boats. The larger boats are scattered around the yard. Great Lakes Marina has more. I am sure there are bots at Eldeans in Holland. THere are probably 20 yards and clubs within 10 miles of Muskegon. I estimate that about half of the boats in the yard did not launch in the last 3 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3960.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	58778   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3963.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	58779  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3966.jpg