Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 10:17   #31

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Canadian citizen, VAT paid vessel and cruising

Enjoy your cruise, Hoppy... Don't forget to shake the sand out of your ears when you pull your head out of the sand! Forewarned is forearmed... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:43   #32
cruiser

Capt Phil,

Hoppy and I live in the Med, what we both see first hand differs greatly from what is shown on the American news channels. Some of it is being shown most likely to divert attention away from the more significant issues which remain unsolved along the US borders.

I'm asked by everyone here in America if I'm worried about being attacked by pirates in the Med, no kidding..... 100% ask me this nonsense as a first question. Meanwhile, my next door neighbors in Sardinia are some of the most wealthy people in the world on mega yachts.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:50   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm asked by everyone here in America if I'm worried about being attacked by pirates in the Med, no kidding..... 100% ask me this nonsense as a first question.
LOL

Capt Phil, do yourself a favour and look beyond Fox news.
Old 01-05-2016, 14:47   #34

My apologies, Hoppy... Didn't mean to offend but I shut down my TV about 2 years ago and try to go elsewhere for news, like the contacts that I developed during about 30 years in the Middle East and Europe. The wealthy in the Med have always insulated themselves from almost all the bad news and behaviors and can afford the security levels necessary to maintain their isolation.
Some of the best cruising ground runs from Split down the coast to Dobrovnik, the Greek Islands, both Cyclades and Sporades, as well as the Turkish Coast and through the Dardenelles. I cruised the area extensively in the late 80's so am fairly familiar with those areas. My opinion remains unchanged, however. It is dangerous and one must keep their wits about themselves at all times. Traveling by land has developed into a whole new set of hazards, so I am told. The comparison I was offered is that traveling in Europe today, particularly in Greece, Northern Turkey, Croatia, Montenegro and the surrounding countries as well as some parts of Germany and Scandinavia is similar to how it was in Somalia, Eratrea, North and South Sudan, parts of Egypt, Lybia, Tunisia and the other countries in North Africa which is the territory I am intimately familiar with as I worked in all of them from the early 80's through the mid 90's.
My contacts who I trust completely tell me that the whole area is becoming like a tinder box with the fuse set for the next religious war between Muslims and all non believers.
The most secure I have felt over there was a couple of years ago traveling to Russia (Moscow and St Petersburg) where the security was fairly high but not in your face as it was when I did business there in the late 70's/early 80's. Cheers, Phil
Old 01-05-2016, 23:26   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
The comparison I was offered is that traveling in Europe today, particularly in Greece, Northern Turkey, Croatia, Montenegro and the surrounding countries as well as some parts of Germany and Scandinavia is similar to how it was in Somalia, Eratrea, North and South Sudan, parts of Egypt, Lybia, Tunisia and the other countries in North Africa
LOL Sounds like your mate is either pulling your leg or pulling his own.

Sure there are becoming "no go" areas in some towns and there are reasons to be concerned when crossing some land borders (the ones fenced off) and certain crimes will be up more. However if you exclude the "next terrorist attack" risk you are probably safer here than in the US still.

However, the stupidity of the way Europe has handled the refugee crisis does make the long term future of Europe not look good and has me very glad that once the sailing is done, I'm outta here.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:26   #36

Hi Hoppy... glad you are getting your cruising done in the area now. I agree the future doesn't look to promising on the European continent. The problem as I see it is that decisions are being made by unelected appointed folks who have no accountability for their decisions except their own conscience. My good friend who is a US Military officer attached to NATO in Brussels sees storm clouds on the horizon. As he has lived in Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt and Lebenon, he has seen this situation deteriorate and unfold quickly before. I trust his judgement implicitly and am surprised he has not moved his family stateside before this. Although they are on a 12 hour warning to leave Belgium if the balloon goes up.
I wish you and yours a relaxing and trouble free cruise through what I consider one of the most beautiful and friendly cruising area in the world. Cheers, Phil
Old 02-05-2016, 16:52   #37

Capt. PHIL, I guess the reporting about Europe un the USA is much like the reporting of gun related murders in the USA .Thousands killed every year. Almost everyone carrying handguns. People buying the most horrific weaponry. We just won't go there.

Now tell me that this isn't true and is just media fear mongering.

We sail in the Ionian and my bil sails in the Dodecanese. Placid, relaxed, safe. Oh a refugee was crushed by a bus last year. Yes I have seen refugees once.

Tell me that this isn't true.

The likelihood of an Armageddon might happen especially if the future president of the USA thinks that they are the world police and that they must 'straightens things out over there'.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:06   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canadian citizen, VAT paid vessel and cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Without more detail, this still sounds like a scam.

Are these only available in the newer/poorer eastern European member states? I'm pretty sure there are minimum wage laws in the western states.

This subject has been beat to death many times over on CF and this is the first I've heard of 1 euro jobs as a way around the visa rules.
So are the Zero hours contracts used by McDonalds, Starbucks and the other wankers.. and they get away with it.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:12   #39

Thanks for your observations and comments, dlymn... My only reason for saying anything is to forewarn any of our CF members who may be contemplating cruising our traveling to Europe or the Med that things are not as they used to be. Lesbos was at one time a beautiful, peaceful Greek island which sadly is no longer peaceful nor beautiful. Croatia and Montenegro are hot beds of refugee travelers from Syria and North Africa. The last time I traveled there and in Bosnia it was called Yugoslavia and very secure and enjoyable... No longer, I understand.
It is tragic that politics seem to have overwhelmed that part of the world and it breaks my heart that many folks can no longer feel secure in visiting there. Here in the US our history goes back only about 300 years. When I visited Dubrovnick a few years ago, I took in the second oldest drug store or pharmacio in the world and the granite steps you climbed to reach it were worn down in the middle from centuries of sandals walking over them.
The beauty and history of these places may be lost forever I am afraid.
Those who are cruising there now may be the last of modern man to see these incredible sights! Phil
Old 02-05-2016, 17:14   #40

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Let's not suggest the entire Med is littered with refugees. We've seen nothing of them in the Western Med.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:21   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canadian citizen, VAT paid vessel and cruising

Quote:
Thanks for your observations and comments, dlymn... My only reason for saying anything is to forewarn any of our CF members who may be contemplating cruising our traveling to Europe or the Med that things are not as they used to be. Lesbos was at one time a beautiful, peaceful Greek island which sadly is no longer peaceful nor beautiful.
Tourism has had that effect on many Greek islands..

Croatia and Montenegro are hot beds of refugee travelers from Syria and North Africa. The last time I traveled there and in Bosnia it was called Yugoslavia and very secure and enjoyable... No longer, I understand.
It is tragic that politics seem to have overwhelmed that part of the world and it breaks my heart that many folks can no longer feel secure in visiting there.
Damn that Tito for dying on us.. just can't rely on dictators anymore..
Here in the US our history goes back only about 300 years. When I visited Dubrovnick a few years ago, I took in the second oldest drug store or pharmacio in the world and the granite steps you climbed to reach it were worn down in the middle from centuries of sandals walking over them.
Those who are cruising there now may be the last of modern man to see these incredible sights! Phil
Never fear.. the Brits are here.. once we stop Cameron running down our forces and relying on the French for aircraft carriers..
They're more likely to sell the enemy Exocets than help us..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 18:11   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Let's not suggest the entire Med is littered with refugees. We've seen nothing of them in the Western Med.
Gosh... I hope I didn't leave that impression! The conduit as I understood it last week was Greece through Turkey and bordering countries over land. The Western Med seems to be relatively peaceful at the moment. Phil
Old 02-05-2016, 18:13   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Never fear.. the Brits are here.. once we stop Cameron running down our forces and relying on the French for aircraft carriers..
+1, boatman! Cheers, Phil
Old 02-05-2016, 19:15   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for your observations and comments, dlymn... My only reason for saying anything is to forewarn any of our CF members who may be contemplating cruising our traveling to Europe or the Med that things are not as they used to be. Lesbos was at one time a beautiful, peaceful Greek island which sadly is no longer peaceful nor beautiful. Croatia and Montenegro are hot beds of refugee travelers from Syria and North Africa. The last time I traveled there and in Bosnia it was called Yugoslavia and very secure and enjoyable... No longer, I understand.
It is tragic that politics seem to have overwhelmed that part of the world and it breaks my heart that many folks can no longer feel secure in visiting there. Here in the US our history goes back only about 300 years. When I visited Dubrovnick a few years ago, I took in the second oldest drug store or pharmacio in the world and the granite steps you climbed to reach it were worn down in the middle from centuries of sandals walking over them.
Almost total and complete second hand B.S. Based on my first hand observations.

The US needs to to get its own house in order. I'm sure there are small isolated pockets of refugees in some EU cities, but nearly every major US city has areas where it's not wise to go.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 22:28   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Boatie, good luck with that

Tags
cruising