Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2015, 07:15   #91

Re: Can I extend my anchor chain?

I a perfect world, Don't run with scissors and buy your chain in one length. In the real world use a c link, I and many cruisers do, And yes I have been known to run with scissors.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:23   #92

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There is, and a link to it was given in post #2: https://coxengineering.sharepoint.com/Pages/Clinks.aspx.

It lists the test data for different C-link brands, as well as for the chain. It also shows the failure mode of a C-link.

These actual experimental data don't agree with the personal biases of a couple of the posters here who have no actual experience with them or their use, so the results tend to get glossed over and redirected.

Spoiler alert: they had to use 10mm chain to test a 8mm C-link because the 8mm chain was breaking and deforming before the C-link breaks. Also, the failure mode is not anything like what has been presented here as "fact".Mark

That is a great article. I especially liked the photo of the C limk failing.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:48   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
That is a great article. I especially liked the photo of the C limk failing.
You mean this photo? The photo where an 8mm C link connecting 10mm chain fails?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	115006  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:57   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
You mean this photo? The photo where an 8mm C link connecting 10mm chain fails?
Yep that is the one. Wonder what glue and wire would have done.
Old 14-12-2015, 08:17   #95

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

You missed the point (or didn't read the report).

1. It is not failing in the mode you claimed it would.
2. Its failing mode is the same as that of chain.
3. It failed at the same load as equivalent sized chain (the chain in the picture looks OK because it is 10mm chain connected by an 8mm link - they couldn't use 8mm chain because it fails and breaks along with the link.).

So to answer your question, glue and wire on a C-link would have led to a failure of the link at the same time the rest of the chain failed. If you had all contiguous chain, it would also fail at the same time as the sections connected with the C-link.

In the real world, it is more likely your anchor will have pulled out, or some other part of the system gave way.

Once again, somehow this discussion has gone the way many CF ones do when the "experts" come in - pulling up Cat 5 hurricanes and other supposed unyielding mega forces to make a point about something designed for common every day use.

Do you really believe that a single anchor system should be designed for the most force nature can possibly hurl at one? Or do you believe, like I do, that they should be designed for everyday stuff up to just some nasty stuff - because in a Cat 5 hurricane, I am moving the boat out of the way, getting at least behind some wind and wave protection, putting out multiple anchors and/or tying to other stuff, then getting off the boat and letting the insurance company worry about it.

I'm certainly not staying in an open roadstead and letting my single anchor and chain take 200kt winds and 20' seas like some of you are planning to.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 08:25   #96

Quote:
You missed the point (or didn't read the report).

1. It is not failing in the mode you claimed it would.
Mark
I thought I read most of it. The picture of the c link failing shows it collapsing in the middle and the pins shearing .
I also read that it is acceptable to expand the last link of your chain.
Old 14-12-2015, 08:36   #97

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I see it stretching lengthwise keeping the same middle distance, and still staying together because those pins are not the load bearing part. I also see it stretched to TWICE its original length and still not break yet.

Again, understand that the chain connected to it is larger than the original C-link size.

It has not failed by "collapsing in the middle". I have never seen a chain or link fail in that mode.

They did not expand the last length of the chain - they changed the shape of that link slightly. There is a physical and engineering difference there. If not, then one would have to make the claim that it is unacceptable to make links into different standards from same size wire.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 09:06   #98

Quote:

It has not failed by "collapsing in the middle". I have never seen a chain or link fail in that mode.
Mark
So you too are clueless about "stud link chain"? How can you discuss chain failure and not know the basics?
Old 14-12-2015, 10:31   #99

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Personally, I have to wonder about a sailor who settles for only G40 chain knowing full well that grade 80 and 100 and titanium chain is available for the application. Don't we all need anchor chains strong enough to stretch the shank on a six ton anchor? I know I certainly do!
I use titanium chain, hot dipped with unobtainium. It costs eleventy six dollars a millimeter and I change it ever three weeks whether it needs it or not. Don't even think of arguing with me, you KNOW I'm right.
Wow! Hi all - fairly new to the forum (and to sailing); only posted a handful of times. In over 50 years of working at a few different entities, I have rarely been this entertained! The data posted from Cox Engineering is very good reading, and very helpful. The opinions posted by the folks here, most with way more experience than me, demonstrate a very wide range of problem solving among the cruising community. Not all solutions are for everyone - and it is a buyer beware forum. I try to wade through the fun to get at the info that I believe will be useful to me - but I enjoy reading all the various viewpoints. Thanks - and keep up the great forum.

[Canibul - I won't tell - but can you let me know where the source is of the hot dipped unobtainium? Just retired from a large aircraft company and was not privvy to the top secret stuff]
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 10:37   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post

[Canibul - I won't tell - but can you let me know where the source is of the hot dipped unobtainium? Just retired from a large aircraft company and was not privvy to the top secret stuff]
I believe it's from Unobtainiaville.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 10:38   #101
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I just saw that the Navy is scrapping some more boats. I think I might have found a source for even bigger chain and anchors. This will let me surivive several force 5 hurricanes in a row! This is what coastal cruising is all about, getting out there when the Surf's UP!!!

Do you guys think I should upgrade the cleats on the fiberglass boat to handle 60 pound per link chain? I want to load up enough to anchor in the Marianas Trench. Just in case I get caught in a typhoon while we're over there diving.
Old 14-12-2015, 10:40   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Good article on C Link tests.

https://coxengineering.sharepoint.com/Pages/Clinks.aspx

It includes an interesting picture of a link approaching failure. It should settle the question of whether the rivets are the weak point.

Yep, anytime you have an unjoined link, you are going to have that type of failure. You would have to find some unobtainium for that not to happen. Seen a few failures of various fittings with one open side. This doesn mean a C link wont work for your anchor chain, but it is the weak link for sure and weaker than your chain.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 10:42   #103
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Personally, when I see my C-links doing that I usually just haul the anchor and move around to the other side of the island.
Old 14-12-2015, 11:14   #104

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

The Australian Veterans Administration looks after us Vets exceedingly well.
So much so that I had my titanium chain electroplated....in Nepal, with 23kt Gold.
As a kid we were not terribly well off, few luxuries etc. Ken Robinson, next door showed me a comic one day, loved it, so bloody funny, yet so bloody dumb too.
A notable poster or two have, on this thread and others, have taken me back to my childhood ridiculousness.
It appears there are a couple of posters who would rather get off the boat in the dink and make an insurance claim rather than have to risk anchoring in the relative still of a 30 knotter. Seems some of them would defecate everywhere if they were with me (on this relative cork) in a mere 20.
Never seen so many professorial wannabes gathered in one place at the same time.
In the last couple of weeks of posting here on CF I notice myself becoming coarse and I do hope I don't get banned but here goes......in the bowels of Ostraylia where I'm from we have a colloquialism...d i c k h e a d s. omg!
To the poster who assisted me with how to get a swiwel thru the gypsy etc...grateful for your kindness, clearly you are a benevolent type. Serious about that. (and now I'm embarrassed) I was being a bit "tongue in cheek'" about that one.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 11:36   #105

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yep, anytime you have an unjoined link, you are going to have that type of failure. You would have to find some unobtainium for that not to happen. Seen a few failures of various fittings with one open side. This doesn mean a C link wont work for your anchor chain, but it is the weak link for sure and weaker than your chain.
Just add a few inches of Dyneema, and a dab of silicone, and that link would have held up just fine.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor