Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2012, 20:19   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Bought a Cal 34

I'm certain you'll include photos when you can.
kind regards,
Old 22-04-2012, 20:36   #17
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 21:05   #18
Marine Service Provider

<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/2000249383328" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/2000249383328" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

Anyone know how to embed this code from facebook?
Old 22-04-2012, 21:33   #19

Boat: mt34dt

Congrats on a great boat.....definitely on my short list. Fair winds.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 22:14   #20
Marine Service Provider

Thanks. Sailing from MDR to Ventura on Tuesday if all goes well, and then back down to MDR the following day. Gonna fish both ways. Can't wait.
Old 22-04-2012, 22:31   #21

Boat: Leopard 43
Congratulations! It's a great feeling owning you own boat, we just recently purchased ours and are still very excited.

Any thoughts on doing a tv show about fixing her up and adding the new equipment? Sort of shipshape tv for sailboats and cruising gear. I would watch.

Wishing you all the best with the new boat. New name yet?

CJ
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 21:25   #22

Boat: 1969 Cal 34
Hi there good job, Have a 69 cal 34 # 222 and sail regularly on monterey bay. Had her for 3 yrs and love her more and more. For their age they sail really well solid boat. I know every inch , replaced 4 main bulkheads, added more deck support to cabin , v-berth and mast support area. Check all the tabbing On the bulkheads real good , use a mirror and lights to check the steel beam previously mentioned. Mine was dry and ok, got lucky! Any way congrats!
juanacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 17:31   #23
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Just out of curiousity, why did you like the Cal 34 you bought better than the First 38 you looked at in Morro Bay?

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:01   #24

Boat: Cal 34

Very nice boat, looks to be in great shape. Have been working on a 1968 Cal 34 for 4 years now, finally getting to where I want to be. Let me know if you have any questions, always love to talk Cal.
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 20:03   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Just out of curiousity, why did you like the Cal 34 you bought better than the First 38 you looked at in Morro Bay?

JRM
The first 38 needed a ton of work. It was bigger for sure, but when you do the math, it would cost soooo much to get it geared up. I went to see the boat again in Santa Barbara right before I bought the Cal (it was moved south). It would have taken far too much time and money, even at like $25,000 and it started at over $50k if I recall and is now at $38k.

Needs a complete refit and overhaul, including exterior, all rigging, sails. Non of the instruments or AP is functioning and there was no Radar/GPS. The motor looks VERY rough. No dinghy or outboard. Everything is shabby as hell. It's a big time project boat. With the Cal I have a decent base to work from and got in at a price that keeps me well within my budget, and since I got slammed by losing $18,000 of filming gear, my budget got very lean. Sure I would have liked a bigger, nicer boat, but for now this one will do.
Old 27-04-2012, 20:41   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/VSkylark View Post
Very nice boat, looks to be in great shape. Have been working on a 1968 Cal 34 for 4 years now, finally getting to where I want to be. Let me know if you have any questions, always love to talk Cal.
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Keep it coming! I spent the day working with a mechanic by the name of Augustine who helped me change out all the fluids and replace some hoses. It purrs like a kitten. I'll take it out tomorrow and pump out all the old diesel and add dress stuff. Gonna pump and flush the holding tank too. Next I'm swapping out the remaining batteries.

I have Marimtime Electronics coming to check out the Seapilot AP. I hope it can be saved but if not I'll put another in. I also have to add radar/chartplotter, add a bimini and fix some lighting on the mast. Making progress though.
Old 28-04-2012, 06:47   #27

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Hey SS
Congrats on your Cal 34. I have read that these are good boats. Finally, after so many months of searching you found one which will take you across the oceans. Feed bad though, about loss of your filming gears. 18000$ is a lot of money. I can buy an Arri sr 2 with lenses for that much. :-)
Anyways, look forward, life always tests you before you embark on something big in life. Best of luck. Wishing you fair winds and following seas,

Regards

Prashantt
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 13:54   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
18000$ is a lot of money. I can buy an Arri sr 2 with lenses for that much. :-)
Ugh! Don't rub it in. I went past the anxiety stage into a state of depression and am finally starting to feel better! But every once in a while I see a photographer or a shot I wish I could take, or the memory of the whole ordeal just runs through my head and I get pretty upset. <sigh>

I still haven't replaced the gear and I'm probably going to wait until next year to do the trip now. That's how big a hit it was financially and emotionally. I planned to help finance the trip by selling my Land Rover and Ducati once I bought the boat, but the money I get will just cover the lost gear. So I'm wresting with the idea of flying back to Vancouver to sell two of my favorite toys in exchange for gear I already had. I had no problem trading them for the experience, but now it's like selling them for nothing. Tough even writing this in Starbucks. I'm getting all misty... Embarrassing.
Old 21-02-2014, 18:06   #29

Congratulations. I've had my Cal 34, the Harvest Moon, for about 5 years. It needed some work, but I'm through the essentials and working on the nice to haves. It is a fantastic boat, and will provide you with many fond sailing memories.
Advise - since you mentioned vibration at high rpms, you may want to check the alignment of the shaft from the v-drive (if you have a v-drive). Also, to be safe, add a hose clamp to the propeller shaft on the inside of the hull. It will prevent losing your shaft should the flange vibrate to the point where your bolts would sheer.
Again, congratulations, you have a fantastic yacht.
Harvest Moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal