Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 17:45   #571
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Since "offshore passaging can be made in anything that floats" which of the following three BLUEWATER boats (choke) would you suggest I take.
You have misrepresented OldPelican's statement here. His full sentence read, " Offshore passagemaking can be done in anything that floats in the hands of a capable and prudent sailor." (emphasis added)
Old 27-11-2012, 17:52   #572

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Someone used to sail a MacGregor Venture in the Bermuda 1, 2 race years ago (Newport to Bermuda). It was modified and beefed up, but I think he did pretty well.
Old 27-11-2012, 17:57   #573

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Someone used to sail a MacGregor Venture in the Bermuda 1, 2 race years ago (Newport to Bermuda). It was modified and beefed up, but I think he did pretty well.

I'll bet he was a very knowledgable and skilled sailor! thank you for posting. Is the Venture 22 or 23ft?
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 17:59   #574
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Since "offshore passaging can be made in anything that floats" which of the following three BLUEWATER boats (choke) would you suggest I take.

Reinell 26
McGregor 26
Bayliner Buccaneer 27

I just received my IRS tax settlement. I'm feeling suicidal and my Slocum may have to go.... Help!

RT
What a completely irrelevant post. You misrepresented the quote, as Bash states, and offer nothing at all to the thread. No information, no humour.

Coops.
Old 27-11-2012, 18:04   #575

I think it was the Venture 22, but it was modified and might have been longer. There were other small boats like an Etchells 22 and an Aquarius 23.
Old 27-11-2012, 18:07   #576

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
I think it was the Venture 22, but it was modified and might have been longer. There were other small boats like an Etchells 22 and an Aquarius 23.

I am interested in Singlehanded and wondering if you know if it was singlehanded? I read about a singlehanded event from Newport to Bermuda....just curious.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 18:13   #577

Yes, it was the Bermuda One-Two Race. You can read more here.
Old 27-11-2012, 18:14   #578

Boat: Self Unloader, 740ft.

Quote:
A lot of people don't realize just how small the larger sailboat market is in the USA--don't have the numbers at my fingertips, but I believe it is well less than 2000 new boats larger than 30 feet per year. A lot of manufacturers make one or two boats a year. The big ones make 50-100. It is a tiny industry here. It may still be true, but a few years back there were more large sailboats owned by New Zealanders (population 4.4 million) than owned in the USA.

I'll admit, I assumed the numbers would have been larger. But if I really think about it can see that its true.
rsneek928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 18:42   #579
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You have misrepresented OldPelican's statement here. His full sentence read, " Offshore passagemaking can be done in anything that floats in the hands of a capable and prudent sailor." (emphasis added)
So where is the misrepresentation? I have been aboard several boats that would not be appropriate for offshore passagemaking, no matter how capable or prudent the sailor. It is likely that these boats would survive a typical offshore passage, but it's also likely that if I ran across the freeway blindfolded I would survive the experience. Not a good idea, in either case.

Or, do you somehow understand the quote to mean that a prudent sailor would never take an unsuitable boat on an offshore passage? This is by definition true, but that is not how I read the quote.

Can we agree that there *some* boats, perhaps a tiny minority, that as designed are not suitable for prudent passagemaking?
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 18:55   #580

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Hey Pelican,

S/F.

What do you think about a Cape Dory 30?

Tom
Great boat but doesn't fit my financial criteria. I can buy, outfit and maintain one of the smaller boats on my list for about half the cost. The cost of sails, rigging, etc. increases exponentially not linearly with boat length
OldPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 19:08   #581
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Lets see, “Offshore passagemaking can be done in anything that floats in the hands of a capable and prudent sailor. so it comes down to what OTHER criteria are important to you”. Hmmm Bash…As if including “in the hands of a capable and prudent sailor” makes the above paragraph anything but ludicrous.

Other criteria? How about common sense and the fact that Blue Water passage making can be done but is ILL ADVISED in certain types of boats?

So what is it boys? I’m kind of leaning towards the Reinell 26. The picture windows give it that bright and airy feeling.

What do you think?

RT
PS I knew you ALL missed me……
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 19:30   #582

Boat: Beneteau 323
Nicely done, RT.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 22:59   #583

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Henk Bezemer, well known in the Netherlands (editor of Zeilen) sailed a Waarschip 570 to the Azores in the 90ies. He did this not only once, but twice, the second time without carrying any navigation instruments (not even a sextant).
The Waarschip 570 is a fun little boat, 5m70 long, build out of plywood, and it looks like this:

Henk Bezemer is "Blue Water Capable" enough to get (almost) anything across. Although he once tested a boat for his magazine that he concluded was unsafe at any weather. The builder subsequently took it of the market...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 03:19   #584
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Henk Bezemer, well known in the Netherlands (editor of Zeilen) sailed a Waarschip 570 to the Azores in the 90ies. He did this not only once, but twice, the second time without carrying any navigation instruments (not even a sextant).
The Waarschip 570 is a fun little boat, 5m70 long, build out of plywood, and it looks like this:

Henk Bezemer is "Blue Water Capable" enough to get (almost) anything across. Although he once tested a boat for his magazine that he concluded was unsafe at any weather. The builder subsequently took it of the market...
CUTE!

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 03:34   #585
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Thanks - which Lilo is best?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising