Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2012, 08:11   #31

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Bluewater Boat List

Good to see Atom Voyages includes the Folkboat.

Aussies are very proud of Ann Gash... 'granny Gash', who set off in her 50's in one and did a full circumnavigation in about 2.5 years.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 16:12   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Here is one more list of Water boats">Blue Water Boats to go along with the two at the beginning of this thread:

Full List of Sailboats
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 18:39   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here is one more list of Blue Water Boats to go along with the two at the beginning of this thread:

Full List of Sailboats
Thanks for the list. Is it verified to be accurate?
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 19:12   #34

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
-Bruce
Accurate? What type of accuracy are you looking for? I believe most of these lists are based on opinion and one own's sailing and blue water experience(such as Atom Voyages). Do you think this one and others recommended in this post are accurate?
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 19:31   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
-Bruce
No way! My boat's not on it so it can't be accurate.
Old 26-11-2012, 19:32   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Accurate? What type of accuracy are you looking for? I believe most of these lists are based on opinion and one own's sailing and blue water experience(such as Atom Voyages). Do you think this one and others recommended in this post are accurate?
OK then, let me rephrase the question. Would you trust the list to pick out a specific boat for Bluewater sailing? Would you recommend this list to a novice?
-Bruce

Old 26-11-2012, 19:36   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
-Bruce
It's pure crap. Look at the hull lines. There isn't a boat there that was designed in the modern era.
Old 26-11-2012, 19:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
It's pure crap. Look at the hull lines. There isn't a boat there that was designed in the modern era.
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm here?
-Bruce

Old 26-11-2012, 20:31   #39

Quote:
OK then, let me rephrase the question. Would you trust the list to pick out a specific boat for Bluewater sailing? Would you recommend this list to a novice?
-Bruce
I have a boat that shows up on a bunch of these "lists" but my boat needs work for me to consider it a blue water boat. I am working on some integrity issues that i consider needing attention, i am also working on tankage(water) to be specific. I think that these lists provide a good foundation for a novice to look at. I believe there are many boats missing from those lists. Every boat on these lists has a weakness as well as strengths. So it does give a novice a starting point. It may also give a guy with a boat not on these lists a reference point to modify his boat for ocean sailing.
After being on these forums for a while and seeing what other people are doing at sea I am finding that while the boat is a key part of cruising its more the sailor. I have posted this before but there is a guy in a 21ft boat sailing all over the atlantic and north sea, www.thesimplesailor.com, in a boat most "sailors" on here would say is a whack job, crazy, risking peoples lives, stupid, has a death wish...whatever. Point is he is a good sailor and knows how to handle his boat in abnormal conditions. That to me is the key to blue water sailing, know your boat and know how to handle it should the need arise.
Old 26-11-2012, 20:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I have a boat that shows up on a bunch of these "lists" but my boat needs work for me to consider it a blue water boat. I am working on some integrity issues that i consider needing attention, i am also working on tankage(water) to be specific. I think that these lists provide a good foundation for a novice to look at. I believe there are many boats missing from those lists. Every boat on these lists has a weakness as well as strengths. So it does give a novice a starting point. It may also give a guy with a boat not on these lists a reference point to modify his boat for ocean sailing.
After being on these forums for a while and seeing what other people are doing at sea I am finding that while the boat is a key part of cruising its more the sailor. I have posted this before but there is a guy in a 21ft boat sailing all over the atlantic and north sea, www.thesimplesailor.com, in a boat most "sailors" on here would say is a whack job, crazy, risking peoples lives, stupid, has a death wish...whatever. Point is he is a good sailor and knows how to handle his boat in abnormal conditions. That to me is the key to blue water sailing, know your boat and know how to handle it should the need arise.
Sounds like good advice. By the way, That Alberg 30 of of yours seems to be on a lot of lists too.
-Bruce

Old 26-11-2012, 20:50   #41

Great thread! I guess I did 9000 miles in a trailor sailor (Contessa 26) less than 8 foot beam, etc, etc. Several trips up and down the Calif coast , then Mexico, Marquesas, Tuamotus, Tahiti, Hawaii, in only a trailor sailor. The so called minus of a bubble hatch never leaked a drop, and the submarine forward hatch(Rogers built) never leaked. Gosh, I guess I never should have left San Francisco Bay in a trailor sailor. The dreaded U bolt for chain plates(european) never gave any problems. I wonder how anyone ever gets going by reading all of the negatives._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 20:58   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Great thread! I guess I did 9000 miles in a trailor sailor (Contessa 26) less than 8 foot beam, etc, etc. Several trips up and down the Calif coast , then Mexico, Marquesas, Tuamotus, Tahiti, Hawaii, in only a trailor sailor. The so called minus of a bubble hatch never leaked a drop, and the submarine forward hatch(Rogers built) never leaked. Gosh, I guess I never should have left San Francisco Bay in a trailor sailor. The dreaded U bolt for chain plates(european) never gave any problems. I wonder how anyone ever gets going by reading all of the negatives._____Grant.

Very well put and thank you for posting your experience. I hope it encourages others to go sailing. There are a ton of armchair sailors on these forums who just love to tell new guys to buy the biggest, thickest, strongest and this list goes before they ever leave the dock. and if you dont, your risking other lives.....what drama!
Old 26-11-2012, 21:07   #43

Quote:
Sounds like good advice. By the way, That Alberg 30 of of yours seems to be on a lot of lists too.
-Bruce
yep, was in the very first sentence of my reply. I have an Alberg 30. Fits me just fine, slow and steady. Not too big, not too small, price was right and she is beautiful! She fits my wife's and I requirement better evertime we sail her and everytime we find out how much something for her costs. I replaced standing rigging, chainplates, hardware, spreader lights and a few other improvements last winter for $2300. This is one of the reasons we chose her, she fit into our budget and was simple enough for me to do the work myself. Buying her was a well thoughtout decision and one I do not regret.
Old 26-11-2012, 21:37   #44
CF Adviser

Quote:
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm here?
-Bruce
look at the hull lines and then judge for yourself. Nothing there that wasn't envisioned prior to the invention of color TV.

Next thing they'll be telling you that a sextant is the only reliable method of calculating a fix.
Old 26-11-2012, 21:47   #45
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here is one more list of Blue Water Boats to go along with the two at the beginning of this thread:

Full List of Sailboats
Here's a good test for this clever little list: how many of these boats incorporate a sugar scoop transom?

Answer: Zero.

This list claims that not a single boat ever designed with a sugar scoop transom qualifies as a Blue (capital B) Water (capital W) boat.

That's Crap with a capital C. Whoever made this list wants you to think that any sailboat designed after the invention of computer technology is flawed.

That's also crap.