Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 23:06   #1

Boat: oyster yacht 66
Blue Hull Concerns

My wife and I are about to purchase a sailing yacht to cruise through the south pacific and then around the world mostly in the tropics. We have settled on the boat however we are having a slightly heated discussion concerning the hull color. She really likes dark blue rather than white. I have major concerns about the hull getting excessively warm in the tropics. I am also concerned about difficulty in keeping it clean and ship shape. Do any of you have any thoughts on this?
dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 23:15   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: blue hull concerns

No! You don't want a dark hull/deck in the tropics. I repainted mine!
Old 30-01-2013, 00:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Dark hulls have massively more heat gain than white. Unless you have made the commitment to run the generator 24/7 anyway for AC, it's a bad idea.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 03:33   #4

Go for a blue hull to break the mould and stand out from the crowd, but top it with a white deck to help keep things cooler below. Thus, a happy compromise is found to set the theme for life at sea

Anyhow, why worry about the heat; ain't that why you're heading to the tropics?
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 03:48   #5

Dark hulls can be beautiful. On the old boat we had a dark blue awlgrip (don't remember colour name). It was done at the factory and required no maintenance except for a washdown when cleaning the boat and once a year or two a polish. Polish would remove most nicks as well.
That said, would we get a dark hull again? No unless it was the only option. It does get hot. It was a benefit when we were cruising Eastern Canada, but not down south or in the Med.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 03:58   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Generally dark hulls require a lot of polishing to remain looking nice.

If you or your wife have a polishing gene - go for it! If not, don't even think about it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 05:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dbrown.

I, and Nat Herreshoff would agree with you.

“There are only two colors to paint a boat, black or white, and only a fool would paint a boat black.”
Nathanael G. Herreshoff

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 05:25   #8

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard! (One more vote for "talk her out of it" -- It will make the boat interior significantly hotter, plus the thermal cycling will probably eventually cause surface imperfections that look like a basket weave (actually the pattern of the fiberglass laminate layers).)
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 05:35   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: blue hull concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
Welcome aboard! (One more vote for "talk her out of it" -- It will make the boat interior significantly hotter, plus the thermal cycling will probably eventually cause surface imperfections that look like a basket weave (actually the pattern of the fiberglass laminate layers).)

Never seen that happen... must be the way you guys build over there...
Personally... having had 'dark' boats in temps of 40c... I never found that much difference to be honest... not enough to warrent repainting my boats..
Just another urban legend...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 06:16   #10

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Dark colors do help keep condensation (and hence mildew) at bay by raising internal temps to slightly higher than ambient. You can still insulate and shade your boat as well, and get all the airflow (ventilation) as possible.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 06:21   #11

Definitely NOT an urban legend! I had a San Juan that the previous owner had painted white. I decided I wanted a bolder statement so during the winter (relatively speaking, it's Florida, after all) of my second year of ownership I painted the hull fire-engine red. By the end of summer I had realized my mistake, as the boat was very noticeably hotter. Pulled it out and put it back to white. Nope. Very definitely not an urban legend.

For any boat that spends most of its time less than 35 degrees of latitude away from the equator, I would not consider any dark hull color. Maybe a pale yellow, if you really don't like white. But very definitely not anything dark.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 06:38   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: blue hull concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Definitely NOT an urban legend! I had a San Juan that the previous owner had painted white. I decided I wanted a bolder statement so during the winter (relatively speaking, it's Florida, after all) of my second year of ownership I painted the hull fire-engine red. By the end of summer I had realized my mistake, as the boat was very noticeably hotter. Pulled it out and put it back to white. Nope. Very definitely not an urban legend.

For any boat that spends most of its time less than 35 degrees of latitude away from the equator, I would not consider any dark hull color. Maybe a pale yellow, if you really don't like white. But very definitely not anything dark.
Awww... come on... you guys are pussy cats..
Air conditioning in the Caribbean for Chrisake... its balmy there

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 06:48   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

only thing i noticed a blue hull to be different from other colors was when the pelican slammed into the hull when he was hunting--he slammed us 3 times, thinking, i spoze, the boat was air or water....silly birdee....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 09:20   #14

Boat: 1974 Cal 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

The red end of the color spectrum absorbs light / generates heat much better than the blue end. Yellow would be hotter than the same shade/tint of Blue.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 09:35   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Blue hulls are perfect for Newport, Rhode Island. Anywhere south of there, a blue hull is an abomination.

Tags
hull