Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-10-2016, 09:24   #1096

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Seaworthy Lass, what is the assembly at the forefront of the picture? The transverse bar with round structure at each end.
Hi DeepFrz
Those two round discs will be the base of two structural poles at the front of the pilothouse. We have a "void" for about the metre ahead of them where there is extra height at the rear of the salon and galley.

So sitting in the pilothouse we will have a clear view down creating open plan living, rather than segmented areas. The poles are needed to support the pilothouse roof over the open space. They will also serve as excellent handholds.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 09:36   #1097

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is one of KM's much larger boats (a 65 footer), but it shows the type of "void" forward of the pilothouse that we are having. This is a photo from KM's website. It was one that caught my eye in the early stages of planning the interior design:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0myq1z94.jpg

Old 14-10-2016, 09:37   #1098

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Wonderful, thanks for the explanation.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 10:57   #1099

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is the view we will have down from the pilothouse. It will be nearly as unobstructed. Dining area will be to port with a very traditional solid wood oval dining table, U shaped galley will be to starboard. The bulkhead will have a watertight door leading to the owners' cabin:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...psyrlhwwcd.jpg

Old 14-10-2016, 17:15   #1100
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

What a wonderful experience!

I can just imagine the night dreams you both are having, with visions of frames and gussets , then appendages and recognizing features, as your baby's gestation period evolves thru the yard photos and drawings.

Really appreciate your sharing of the build process....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 21:01   #1101

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Two days ago we were sailing acrossMoreton Bay. Suddenly on the AIS screen, up pops a class B on a collision course. The incoming's name was "Bestevaer"! Hot Damn, I thought, we'll get a look at another neat boat. Pointed it out to Ann, and we both watched as the range wound down. The yacht was bows on to us, so not very much to look at until we passed, perhaps 100 meters apart. Imagine our disappointment when it turned out to be a Bavaria 36! WTF??

Anyhow, now we have some more neat photos to peruse... thankks, guys!

Jim
Old 14-10-2016, 21:10   #1102

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Two days ago we were sailing acrossMoreton Bay. Suddenly on the AIS screen, up pops a class B on a collision course. The incoming's name was "Bestevaer"! Hot Damn, I thought, we'll get a look at another neat boat. Pointed it out to Ann, and we both watched as the range wound down. The yacht was bows on to us, so not very much to look at until we passed, perhaps 100 meters apart. Imagine our disappointment when it turned out to be a Bavaria 36! WTF??

Jim
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 00:01   #1103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
What a wonderful experience!

I can just imagine the night dreams you both are having, with visions of frames and gussets , then appendages and recognizing features, as your baby's gestation period evolves thru the yard photos and drawings.

Really appreciate your sharing of the build process....
I feel incredibly luckliy to have the opportunity to fulfill this longstanding dream. Part of every sailing holiday for a few decades was spent with pad and pencil and my "architect's" ruler (one of those 3 sided ones) and a calculator, scribbling boat plans and then trying to figure out how we could achieve early retirement and the purchase of a boat.

It has been a long process fully customising a boat. It is two and a half years now since we visited a few boatbuilders in Europe and started the design process, drafting our specifications then signing in March of 2015 to have plans and full specs drawn up.

It has been a constant challenge weighing up the pros and cons of various options. Something like the standpipes is a no brainer, but many choices are difficult. Safety, good sailing performance, quality, reliability, ease of maintenance, beauty, comfort and unfortunately above all, expense, need to be balanced. Lots of these conflict, sometimes dramatically. We are going for a larger boat than we can comfortably afford, so keeping a close eye on cost has been needed. It is partly a curse really appreciating quality.

At times the mind has been absolutley buzzing and this past week with checking the interior has been one of these. We seem to be living and breathing boat plans at the moment .

Each time photos arrive, it is a bit like one of those "spot the difference" picture challenges . The little details that we pick up, some unexpected, show the attention and care that is being lavished and it is so enjoyable finding these.

SWL

Old 15-10-2016, 00:12   #1104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
They must have been Dutch owners .
It is a nickname that was given to the most admired and skilled Dutch admiral in history, and one who was apparently loved by his crew (that must be a first ). Gerard Dijkstra's prior boat was named Bestevaer and the current one Bestevaer II (KM then used this name for the whole range). I guess over the last few centuries it has been a common Dutch boat name.

SWL

Old 15-10-2016, 01:07   #1105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I just made a bacon sandwich.
It was the bestevaer!!

(groan)
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 01:22   #1106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I just made a bacon sandwich.
It was the bestevaer!!

(groan)
I just made pan fried bread with Dutch crunchy peanut butter and Greek thyme honey and I think munching this in bed while sipping Aeropress Italian coffee is the bestevaer!

A very indulgent late breakfast here .

Old 15-10-2016, 01:53   #1107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I just made pan fried bread with Dutch crunchy peanut butter and Greek thyme honey and I think munching this in bed while sipping Aeropress Italian coffee is the bestevaer!

A very indulgent late breakfast here .
I never could do breakfast in bed.... too many crumbs and .... well , just doesnt appeal...
Old 15-10-2016, 02:06   #1108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yachts rarely have enough outside storage. I think if customers oohed and aahed over the lockers instead of the spacious interior of boats during boat shows, this issue would in time be addressed. I bet most people actually find it a problem and this is witnessed by the extraordinary amount of clutter strapped onto the decks of many cruising boats.

You need room to store lots of gear like sails, dive gear, water toys, etc that is not suitable to be put inside the main cabin. Our current boat has heaps of outside storage and it is a feature we appreciate tremendously.

The new boat will have a large "garage" at the rear, as well as a 3 m long forepeak locker.

This photo shows part of the "garage" with a cockpit seat open. It is big enough to climb into and you can just see the edge of one of the "5 tread" steps on the left hand side of the photo that has been covered in cardboard during construction.

You can also see the large 1200 x 500 mm tray with a waterproof rim. This is for our watermaker.

We will be installing another Spectra unit. The one on our current boat has been super reliable. By installing the watermaker on a waterproof tray like this, any spills which invariably occur when servicing the unit are contained where they can be easiliy mopped up. Once again, this is another feature from our current boat that we wanted to duplicate:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...sw8cqzgpa.jpeg

Old 15-10-2016, 02:12   #1109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What is the estimate of your boats weight empty, and what do you think it will be when you load it?
Old 15-10-2016, 02:19   #1110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
What is the estimate of your boats weight empty, and what do you think it will be when you load it?
The figure for "empty" is probably not that useful.
The displacement has been given as 19 tons.