Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2014, 20:46   #76
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Best Size Sailboat For Singlehander

Heres a nice one came to market today - Caroff-Vulcain's rare

2002 Caroff Vulcain IV Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 20:59   #77
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Heres a nice one came to market today - Caroff-Vulcain's rare

2002 Caroff Vulcain IV Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
This looks like a neat boat. But omg it is ugly IMHO. I'm going to be in RI in apr I have to go look at this this thing.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 21:08   #78
cruiser

Oh its not a great sample. Here's one:

1983 Caroff Vulcain V sailboat for sale in Alaska
Old 27-03-2014, 21:14   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Oh its not a great sample. Here's one:

1983 Caroff Vulcain V sailboat for sale in Alaska
even worse!
Old 27-03-2014, 21:18   #80
cruiser

ROFL!!@!@!@
Old 27-03-2014, 21:55   #81

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

By the way, the Star Mooring Hook really transforms single-handed docking. It's now made by Kong, I think: http://www.kong.it/products/HI_QUALITY/65020.jpg. Allows you to get a line on a cleat in a half a second without stepping off the boat -- useful when you have a meter of freeboard amidships as I do, and you're single-handed.
I've had a chance to try out this:

And it really works as shown.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 22:06   #82

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

I'm wondering if it's really essential to have all lines left aft to solo.

On most boats I've sailed on any setting/dropping/reefing manouver required someone to be send forward to stand at the mast. Quite often something gets stuck, or the sail doesn't flake nicely, or a slide gets jammed etc...
It's a bit ironic that on the little Jeanneau 23 footer I sail regularly you need two persons to set the sail.
With main halyard led aft this means two bodies are needed. With the halyards at the mast one person can do it.

So I'm tending towards having a good autopilot, and having all halyards at the mast. One boat I had a look at last summer that seemed to be perfect is the Victoire 1044. There are several on the market at the moment, and it's getting increasingly harder to resist... I do want one without a teak deck however.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 22:34   #83

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Yankee 30's are very nice indeed, but never see many on the market. Rare.
1973 Yankee 30 MkIII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
That's sure a nice example of a YY30 mkIII, but wow, the price! They show up in Lat 38 classified fairly often, usually between 12 and 20K. There were lots of them in the SF bay because they handled the breezy conditions better than lots of their contemporaries of a like size.

They were a very good choice for me to use in single hand ocean racing because a single hander could actually sail them pretty well up to their rating. This was not true for a lot of my competitors in newer designs... ones that relied on rail meat to stay on their feet.

My Dominique made me a believer in S&S designs!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-03-2014, 22:42   #84

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

This is why they go so well.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 22:53   #85
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I'm wondering if it's really essential to have all lines left aft to solo.

On most boats I've sailed on any setting/dropping/reefing manouver required someone to be send forward to stand at the mast. Quite often something gets stuck, or the sail doesn't flake nicely, or a slide gets jammed etc...
It's a bit ironic that on the little Jeanneau 23 footer I sail regularly you need two persons to set the sail.
With main halyard led aft this means two bodies are needed. With the halyards at the mast one person can do it.

So I'm tending towards having a good autopilot, and having all halyards at the mast. One boat I had a look at last summer that seemed to be perfect is the Victoire 1044. There are several on the market at the moment, and it's getting increasingly harder to resist... I do want one without a teak deck however.
You have a poorly rigged boat. The last person I delt with worrying about flaking his sails correctly put a gash in my stern at anchor in Cartagena. Worry about learning how to do a proper anchor spread. Flacking sails is for boy scouts and summer camp.
Old 28-03-2014, 00:01   #86

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For Approx size of vessel for singlehanders: women seem to choose smaller, probably based on their assessment of upper body strength and pocketbook, ranging from about 31 ft. to 38 ft. (Not counting Isabelle Autissier, et al). A dear friend (male) singlehanded a Halberg Rassey 35 for 20 yrs.; another had a 32. I suspect it depends on a blend of how fit you are and expect to be, and what your finances dictate.

Oh, and to thomm225, you're told, because it is a fact, that parts for smaller boats tend to be cheaper than for bigger boats; and so is slipping. As there is less running rigging, that too costs less. You might be horrified at how long our third reef is--and it's spectra, but the deal is the high mast adds both up-going and down-coming length. So smalller is in my opinion, cheaper. An Australian woman circumnavigated in a plywood Folkboat. Not a biggie. Big just purely isn't necessary. Nobody wants to hear that nowadays, but it's still the case. More comfortable, certainly, but not essential.

Gotta go now.

Ann
Old 28-03-2014, 06:02   #87

I bought Shiva, a Contest 36s new in '85 and have mostly single or shorthanded the boat. In the beginning I was clearly dependent on help usually one sailor would do. Over time I was able to make do with landlubbers helping out a bit... mostly freeing me to do misc. things which needed to be attended to.

When I added an below decks Alpha3000 auto pilot and then roller furling things changed quite a bit. When I took off for live aboard cruising in the Caribbean I had added a Maxwell VWC windlass and chain. The main is quite large at 440 SF and the Dutchman sailing flaking system works quite well and makes reefing a breeze (pun intended). All control lines are led aft with line stoppers and so the boat can be sailed from the safety of the cockpit. I rig preventers and leave them slack until need when I head on a longish passage.

Now that I don't have the same strength as I did years back I added a Milwaukee drill w/ winch bit to raise the main. Works a charm. Love that Millie! My single handed work has included several passages between LIS and the Carribean and virtually all my sailing for the past 15 years has been with land lubbers and so they might only do some watch keeping and that's about it.

I've got the maneuvering down pretty well by now and know how the boat responds to winds and current. The only variable is how clean the bottom and the prop are.. that changes everything!

I suppose I could handle a large boat with the above upgrades. But I don't know that I want to do all the additional work. 36' of boat is plenty to take care of. For one or two people the 36s is plenty large as commodious as many 40 footers. Perhaps I got lucky by selecting this boat. It's well built and does well offshore making 150 NM a day. So the 36s is fine boat for a single hander.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 06:34   #88

Boat: Bristol 27

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's a lot to consider. My present boat is small but I have to go forward to reef, raise and lower the mainsail, etc which is fine for now since I'm only crossing the Chesapeake Bay.

Being an exracer though I would like a little more efficiency from my next boat. When the wind is up a bit, my Bristol rolls over to a certain point speeds up a little then that's about it.

I want the boat to shoot forward some which is what I am used to. I don't expect it to compare to a small catamaran but a bit more speed would be nice.

Here's the Bristol in a bit of wind (19-20 protected waters). She rolls over and digs in but doesn't go much faster.

I may have to go fin keel and lighter weight.

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 06:44   #89

Boat: Bristol 27

The two boats I like now are an Ericson 35 and a Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 but both draw 6' or more which could be a problem for a novice/beginner cruiser like I am.

1983 Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1984 Ericson Mk III Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 07:37   #90

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Also check the Waukuiez Pretorian 35.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, single, size