Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What size mono do you cruise in ?
20 - 30 feet 28 18.18%
30 - 40 feet 67 43.51%
40 - 50 feet 50 32.47%
Over 50 feet 9 5.84%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 20:09   #76

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Re: Average Mono Size for Cruising

I think there might be some social issue in this size business. It seems Americans tend to go for a larger boat and Europeans are happier with a smaller boat.
On the face of it this could be the usual argument of Yanks and their big cars, big fridges etc, but I think it may be deeper than that. Americans live in a country with huge wide open space in a lot of the country. Europeans are used to listening to the neighbours taking a pee next door. Americans seem to NEED that mental/visual space more than we do.
I'm currently living in a huge house and there are only two of us. I have a fridge bigger than the house I used to live in back in England. I have aride on mower for the lawn it's so damn big.
There are benefits to both views I guess and though I miss so much about England, I know we've all benefited from the American mentality of making life easier with some awesome design. If it wont fit they'll make the damn thing bigger so it does.
The good news of course, is that as an Englishman, I can pick up a 30 foot boat for a fraction of the price it would be in Europe. Plus, a 30 foot boat to me is huge compared to what I used to own back home.
A Brit mentality of size doesn't matter, paired with an American ability to cram some good gear into that space makes for some cool boats for us poor gits.
Got no clue where the Aussies fit into this. I guess there requirement is based on Fosters carryability.
Sorry just ramblin' and lookin' at a cheoy lee 30
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 20:10   #77

Boat: looking

You know, if we were all a bit wiser, we'd push those numbers up, just in case any marine equipment manufacturers & suppliers are reading this. Those with 30+ footers, of over 10,000lbs displ., seem to pay considerably more for gear than those under. then there are those in the high 30s/low40s who suffer that similar leap in prices. I say, "Start the poll again, because we all actually own 70 footers!"
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 20:17   #78
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Very true . Everyone is different. I've evaluated a Tayana 37 and thought I would kill myself w/o crew. But when I was on a Tartan 37, thought it fit like a glove. Same with an Islander 36. Same with a Sabre 34.

There are too many factors.

here's a contrary. Just came to market today. Well respected ocean vessel 27 ft nor'sea:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=56149&url=

$79k

Now, do you know how much bigger a boat you can get for $79k that is just as ocean capable and of course faster?? And that goes for an expensive 27 ft Bristol channel Cutter too!

As for larry pardey:

he recommended a Yankee 38, which became a Catalina 38

An Interesting and Affordable Cruising Boat Choice | Sailing Blog | Lin & Larry Pardey

There ain't no norm.

For me, 24-32 seems right because i am lazy and poor. And I love small boats. And I'm a yank...

Unlike those aussies in the 40 ft bendie boats
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 20:48   #79

Boat: Boereal 44

"Average Mono Size for Cruising", that is the question and I guess what is sailing and what is cruising? My interest in this thread is what has everyone done to make their smaller boats 27 to 36 ft cruise ready. What is your definition of cruising? I love smaller sailboats made to cross oceans both old school and new design. Bangkaboat has a Cal 30, I have seen a lot of them crossing oceans with no problem so I'm wondering what he has done in costs to up grade his Cal to make it ocean going because you would be foolish to sail that boat over oceans without costly upgrade. What would Hilbillylad do to make that beautiful Choylee seaworthy? I know how strong Wolfenzee Atkins is, I have enjoyed watching her sail in PT's afternoon breeze. I don't care what size boats people cruise in but small production boats are rarely made for cruising even if the design is good they are under everything. Getting them up to snuff cost lots of money too. That's where I think cruisers should share their info and not I bought it because it was cheap and your big boat is expensive. The real story here for small boat cruisers is what I've done to this small boat to make it sea worthy and why I feel good about it.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 21:19   #80

Boat: Endurance 35ft 1982

I think our 35ft Endurance is perfect for two.
Miss Calypte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 21:27   #81
cruiser

Endurance is a lovely boat.. Yes indeed

And if I had a boreal or an ovni or a vulcain or a Garcia ... I would not complain
Old 25-05-2011, 16:52   #82
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The question is "What is the average size cruising boat", My boat is 30', a friend of mine's boat is also 30' (Catalina with live aboard modifications) but it is a *much* bigger 30', which would make for a more comfortable cruiser. I think the variable of cabin space should be taken into the equation. My boat has 28" wide side decks, a narrow beam, low free board and cabin profile, big cockpit and 4 1/2' quarter deck....all of these are good, but the detract from overall volume of the cabin. Basically I chose grace over space and am going to alot of trouble to utilize every cubic inch of the space I have. Though my lazerette and waste space behind the engine would lend itself to a nice little aft cabin
Old 25-05-2011, 17:07   #83

Boat: Endeavour,A Plan, E37, BlueAyes

First large sailboat till retirement in 98 days is our Endeavour 37. Great boat and roomy and heading long term cruising Sept 1.
Old 26-05-2011, 07:57   #84
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Latitude 38 just posted a list of the first 74 boats signed up for next year's Baja Haha cruisers' rally. The average size of those 74 boats is 44.8'.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Old 26-05-2011, 08:04   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillylad
Got no clue where the Aussies fit into this. I guess there requirement is based on Fosters carryability.
No true Aussie would choose their boat based on that criteria.

There are much better (Aussie) beers to carry on board
Old 26-05-2011, 08:56   #86

Just read through all the excuses of why bigger is better ... which is why I'm on a 22' cutter.
No room for anyone else is a benefit that can't be measured.
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 09:04   #87
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i amnot avwrage--is why i sail a 41 formosa..and formosa my life i think i will be repairing same..LOL..... but she is awesome and sails not like a brick, but like a sweeet ketch.>LOL
decks are wide enough to go forward in seas, and she is gorgeous inside.... not to mention the appeaqrance of her type cutting thru seas-- wow!!!! makes the heart beat a bit faster..... and bubba daboatkat likes her--he has enough room to sprawl out and enjoy his life.
sails raise well without help---nd sailing in big winds isnt a problem with jib n jigger both reefed0--- we survived 60 kts off cabo without problems. didnt even ship a sea---- some broke over waist, but nothing pooped my cockpit.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 09:08   #88
cruiser

Don't believe in averages. Everyone may buy big...but really why? They just follow the other sneeches who nod and go get a star on their bellies.

Think perhaps todays boats because of design and materials you NEED a larger boat to be able to do what a smaller boat does in terms of safety. The bonus is you get a faster boat.
Old 26-05-2011, 09:09   #89

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
No true Aussie would choose their boat based on that criteria.

There are much better (Aussie) beers to carry on board
If you're from WA it'll be cans of Swan, from Victoria could only be VB's, NSW you'd have Toheys, Tassie and SA it would be Cascade, and the Queenslanders Four X.
Methinks very very few would carry Fosters - but most would want an ability to carry a few slabs fo something else. We once had a 30 foot JOG boat that could boast a 5 slab chilly bin.

FWIW the ARC publish stats on their fleet each year and I believe it is now showing an average lenght somewhere twix 40 and 45 foot....and growing each year.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 26-05-2011, 10:07   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman

If you're from WA it'll be cans of Swan, from Victoria could only be VB's, NSW you'd have Toheys, Tassie and SA it would be Cascade, and the Queenslanders Four X.
Methinks very very few would carry Fosters - but most would want an ability to carry a few slabs fo something else. We once had a 30 foot JOG boat that could boast a 5 slab chilly bin.
That sounds much more accurate. I am very happy that my local state owned alcohol seller stocks VB

On my boat in Greece, Mythos capacity is the preferred measurement.

Tags
cruising