Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Atomic 4 in a Catalina 38?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Bash, That's exactly what I anticipate happening with this setup. Would hate to have my back to some rocks and have to rely on that engine to power us out of harms way!

GordMay, Thanks for the link to Beta. I guess I'll have to try to find a used diesel with 28+ Hp.
You should confirm all your cylinders are firing by doing a tune-up (the spark wires do age, after all), and do a compression check of the cylinders.

New sparks and a new cap and contacts...you'd be amazed. While I agree you'd do better with a diesel in a 38, you might not in fact be getting every HP out of the A4 you have. Confirm before you go dropping 10 grand.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 13:45   #17
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Why in the world did they decide not to put oil filters on the a4. Bet every crank looks bad just from break in metal floating around.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 14:28   #18

Does anyone know how much taller the Beta Marine conversion is? A4s are tiny , low profile engines and I assume the Beta is a lot taller. That could make a big difference in the ease of a conversion.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:24   #19

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Why in the world did they decide not to put oil filters on the a4. Bet every crank looks bad just from break in metal floating around.
Uhh, engine designed in 1947?

Even today there are 4 stroke outboards (small) that have no oil filter, lawn mowers, etc. Oil filters aren't required, they just make maintenance (alot) easier.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:37   #20

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Does anyone know how much taller the Beta Marine conversion is? A4s are tiny , low profile engines and I assume the Beta is a lot taller. That could make a big difference in the ease of a conversion.____Grant.
Beta dimensions:
28A4 Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine diesel engines and generators for sailboats, yachts and trawler boats.
http://www.betamarinenc.com/BD1005-P...0A4%20feet.pdf

The engine they used to flog universally for the A4 direct replacement (not the Beta) prevented my friend from using it on his Cal 34 as the engine with the vdrive was under the cockpit and the height of the engine was too tall.. They always say bolts right onto the engine beds, never talk about how much taller the engine is.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 15:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Because the oil sits in a sump that's continuous with the transmission. It's pressurized, but not in the usual sense as the system is open to the atmosphere via the breather. Very 1940s. There is an internal filter, but frankly, being a low-compression gas engine, the A4 doesn't eat itself very much. You can, if you wish, install a separate oil filter, but most people just drain out the four litres it takes and pour in a new jug until the dipstick reads "FULL".

When I rebuilt the engine, I changed the oil after ten hours, and now I do it every 25 (which could be once a season if I don't motor-sail, as I tend to have it on for 10-minute "dock to head to wind" periods, and even going out 25 times a season, it's hard to make 25 hours of runtime). Others change every 50 or 100 hours.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 02-02-2012, 15:40   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Beta dimensions:
28A4 Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine diesel engines and generators for sailboats, yachts and trawler boats.
http://www.betamarinenc.com/BD1005-P...0A4%20feet.pdf

The engine they used to flog universally for the A4 direct replacement prevented my friend from using it on his Cal 34 as the engine with the vdrive was under the cockpit and the height of the engine was too tall.. They always say bolts right onto the engine beds, never talk about how much taller the engine is.
My new Beta 60 is about six inches taller than the Westerbeke W-52 it's replaced, but in every other dimension, including weight, it's smaller. So maybe it's a Beta thing. I would imagine it's less of a problem in a Catalina 38.
Old 02-02-2012, 16:49   #23

Boat: C&C 34

Heres a picture of my Beta 722 in a 29ft. It slid in there just fine.

It is amazing how much less I swear...
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 38