Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2014, 16:14   #1

Anyone heard of Gary Maul?

This is my first post here. I have been lurking and learning on here for a while now and need y'all's help. I have been looking at this boat for a couple of weeks, although not in person. I have tried to find out any info about the designer of the boat but so far have found nothing. here is the link to the boat.

1978 Gary Maul Custom Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Any info would be appreciated.
prosneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 22:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Anyone heard of Gary Maul?

Could that be Gary Mull?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 04:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, prosneek.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 08:08   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

I believe Gary Mull has passed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 09:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anyone heard of Gary Maul?

Welcome to CF.

Gary Mull began his college career with a year at Pomona College as an English major, then moved to Oakland City College after taking time off for a sailboat race to Tahiti. He finished his degree as a Mechanical Engineer with a Naval Architecture minor at UC Berkeley.
Design career[edit]

Santana 22 (1965) and 27 (1966), also the 37. Gary's first sailboat design, the 22, was a breakthrough design that cemented Santana sailboats and their parent, W.D. Schock, as an icon of the West Coast marine industry. The first generation of Ranger designs noted below bear a strong resemblance to these boats.
Ranger 22, 23 (1971), 26 (1969), 29 (1970), 32 (1973), 33 (1970), and 37 (1972). Most of these were cruiser-racers built to no particular handicap rule, but they rate favorably under PHRF and Portsmouth handicap and have been quite successful in local club racing. Mull himself described most of his designs as 'just nice little boats'. The Ranger 26 won the North American IOR 1/2 Ton Cup in 1970 and is still competitive today in PHRF. The Ranger 23 came in second in the North American IOR 1/4 Ton Cup in 1972 even though she wasn't designed to the IOR Rule. The Ranger 23 also won the Whitney Series in 1972, and is still very competitive in PHRF handicap racing. The Ranger 29 and 33 have always been competitive when well sailed and are still competitive in club racing. The Ranger 37 was designed to the IOR handicap rule and was the last production boat to win the Southern Ocean Racing Conference (SORC is a winter ocean race out of Miami, Florida). The Ranger 32 is still competitive under PHRF handicap. While the Ranger 29 was designed to rate well under a number of handicap rules including the CCA and IOR, the boat does not fare so well under Portsmouth or PHRF.
The Newport 30 (and its stretched version, the 33) were another project by Mull. The 30 bears strong family resemblance to both the Ranger 29 and 33, but with more beam and displacement it leans to the cruiser side of the spectrum.
Freedom Independence, 28, 30, 36, 42, 45.
Buccaneer 220, 250 and 255. Later became the US 22 and US 25.
Later designs from the Gary Mull office included the somewhat revolutionary Humboldt 30 and Pocket Rocket. These designs were produced while Jim Donovan and Peter Dunsford were working for Mull. The Pocket Rocket hull and some parts of the deck have been resurrected and it is now sold as the Rocket 22. The boat has been 'turboed' a bit and is still a strong performer. A large fleet of the original Pocket Rockets carries on racing in Penticton, British Columbia.
Other designs include: 6-Meter match racers St. Francis IV, V, and VI; 6-meter Ranger, built by Goetz Custom Yachts and raced by Ted Turner in the 1979 6-Meter Worlds; The Wilderness 40, built by Wilderness Boat Works in Santa Cruz, California in 1980; Capri 22 designed with Catalina's Frank Butler in 1983, of which over 800 were built; Kalik 44, a large and fast cruising yacht with 25,000Lbs displacement; Half-Tonner Hotflash, built by the Gougeon Brothers in 1976; Two-Tonners like Carrot (1976), the 12-Meter USA; and the maxi-boat Sorcery. He also worked on the Golden Gate Challenge 12-Meter program for the 1987 America's Cup and designed a high-performance 30-foot, ultralight (2,000-pound) sloop for Ron Moore which featured a winged keel and deck.
From 1979 to 1987, Gary Mull chaired the International Technical Committee (ITC) of the Offshore Racing Congress.[2]
Gary Mull's Last Ranger design was in 1981 with Bangor Punta Yachts where 80 were made in the 26 foot length.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 16:06   #6

I researched Gary Mull but the boat doesn't seem to be one of his designs as far as i can tell. Thanks to all that replied.
Old 21-07-2014, 16:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lotta boat for the money tho'... reckon she'd scrub up nice.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-07-2014, 16:38   #8

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

A boat that has even partially sunk in its slip, as this one has, and which has been so utterly neglected, as this one has, can be no great bargain. It will surely wind up being a new career with absolutely no upside $ potential.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 17:56   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Friends of mine bought a Waquiez 37 in Seville, Spain.
The Westerbeake would not run.. the interior was a mess.. standing water and rotted ply bulkheads to a foot above the floor... she needed a lot doing.
We knocked the owner down to 2K from 16K..
I hung an outboard on the back and delivered her down river and up the coast to Fig da Foz..
He sailed her a few times then lifted her and had the engine out.. re-bedded the deck stuff and toe rails.. then painted her.. engine went back in next Spring and I helped move her down to her new base Peniche.
Every winter he works the interior and summers he sails..
He's getting a nice boat together bit by bit.

Old 21-07-2014, 18:43   #10

The interior work i am not afraid of. I have no idea what the exterior would need though. Good positive attitude boatman. Terra, thanks for the insight.
Old 21-07-2014, 19:29   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Looks like a Mull design. Why don't you think it's one of his boats?? Looks similar the the Ranger 37 one ton design.

Flooding to a foot above the floor boards isn't that big a deal. I'd be concerned about the engine. You should be able to start and run the engine for a short period without raw water. Would definitely want to have a look at the boat if not with a surveyor, at least someone that knows a lot about boats.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 19:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Going thru the photos I see some nice things and some not so nice.

Weird is bow light, two stern lights, miss matched ports, missing diesel bulkhead heater.

Some other stuff looks quality such as hatches, bar around stove, gallows ans radar arrangement. Trans one is set up for a drogue or stern anchor. Maybe some kind of wind vane.

My guess is she was once set up for distance cruising but has since been getting a hack rebuild.

I like the pilot berth. No mention of radar in add, maybe missing?

Go look at her. Has some possibilities.

I just noticed you are in Florida? I'm about a half hour away. I might be able to eyeball her if you have some real interest.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 23:55   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A comment on the write up of Mull's career: the author keeps saying "... is still competitive in PHRF". Mate, ALL boats are competitive under PHRF ratings! It is a performance handicapping system, where the results of countless races are analyzed and a rating determined from how a boat actually has sailed. In theory, no matter how bad a design is, under PHRF with good preparation and crew it will be competitive.

Don't take this as a criticism of Mull or his designs. He did some really good boats, ones which are still sought after by discerning buyers. If I had a criticism of Mull, it would be the direction in which he lead the IOR folks all those years ago. Some really unseaworthy vessels came out of that set of rules, and many folks thought the NAs who were setting the rules were attempting to ensure lots of future design work rather than a good racing rule. All water under the bridge now, so I will remember his good boats and not his leadership of the IOR fiasco.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 22-07-2014, 00:16   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I had a Santana 28 which was built here in Oz. Basically a Mull designed 27 made longer and built very well. Very strong boat for it's size. Would take a hell of a blow to unnerve it. Loved it to be honest.

Coops.
Old 22-07-2014, 05:24   #15

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Looks like a trip to Pennsylvania is in your future.

That's a nice looking boat; if the underbody is the same as a Ranger 37, even more so. There's a lot of stuff already there too, so you can learn as you go. The engine is common and time tested (translate: parts are easy to find and reasonably priced, from Perkins not so much Westerbeke).

Do you have the experience to get the engine running and take her down the Delaware river and ICW to Gainesville? Trucking her would probably cost more that the purchase price.

I'd talk to the guy at the contact number to feel it out and if all seemed kosher would go see. I would have when I was looking 5 years ago.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote