Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 06:02   #46

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Wink Re: Alberg 37 buy or run?

For those still interested in Alberg 37's there is an active owners group with tons of great info on them, also a list of A-37's for sale, listed here: Alberg 37 Owner's Association

They range from 35K to 60K, most state "ready to go" from their descriptions, for what that is worth...there are around a dozen or so listed at any point in time. Whether the listings are up to date I cannot vouch.
Old 17-05-2015, 22:51   #47

Boat: ALBERG 37
Re: Alberg 37 buy or run?

I was surprised to find those pics on here. I just bought this boat, in April 2015. I got it pretty much for next to nothing. I'm very glad that everybody else walked away from this deal. True, it needs lots of work and the engine needs to be pulled and rebuilt. I'm a automotive mechanic by trade and rebuilding engines is nothing to me. The rebuilt kits for those engines are plentiful available and dirt cheap. It would surprise me if I had to spend more than $800.00 for the complete rebuilt. As far as soft spots in the deck, there's only 1 small area, less than 2 square feet on 1 side of the deck. I weigh 240 lbs and jumped all over the deck and cabin. Inside there are no signs of water intrusion. The boats sits for 10 years on land and is just dirty from sitting around. Sails are cheap, living in FL there are countless places that sell used sails for little money. Mostly the boat needs bottom paint, new thru hulls, and a good cleanup. I'm not even worry to much about the engine. It's a sailboat, not a motor cruiser. I'm getting ready to put the boat in the water within the next 2 months, motor or not. Over the past 2 years I had restored a 1966 Tartan 27 that was in far worse condition. Besides lots of time and elbow grease it didn't cost that much money either. I think most people just aren't willing to put much effort into their projects and end up paying professional marine service to do the deeds. Then off course it all ads up.

So thank you very much to all who walked away from this great boat and left it for me to find. And besides, the boat came with auto pilot, ICOM SSB Radio, 22 amp windmill generator, 16 Mile Radar system, VHF Radio and about another 3000.00 worth in electronics, batteries, hardware and so on. The boat is packed with everything there is, haven't even pulled everything out of the bunks and storage bins. If I were to just gut it and leave it I already would triple my investment.

And after all, it's an Alberg 37
teuton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 06:44   #48

Boat: Douglas 32

Teuton7,
Am looking forward to your posts about the refit of your Alberg 37!
Please keep us informed! We have a nice one here at the Mimico Club in Toronto that I have always admired.

- Kim
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 13:15   #49

Hi Kim,

yes, I will keep updating the progress with the boat once I'm starting on it. I'm new to this site and haven't figured out yet how to upload pics. I already took lots of pics from the boat. To me the boat is already beautiful. The yard it's in right now is very cheap, storage and work. I figure about 2 weeks to get it ready for the water. The rest of the work I will do with the boat in the water. The marina I'm in with my Tartan 27 is very cheap and we can do everything we want, 24/7. Besides that I can anchor the boat just out and work on it as I'm using it. I still have my Tartan and for the time being that may serve me as a shuttle and supply boat. I can't wait to take my new project out for the first sailing trip. I'm sure that won't be for too long

Jorg
Old 19-05-2015, 19:43   #50

Boat: Alberg 37

I love all the armchair sailors on this thread. I have a 1976 A37. I paid more than 5k but less than 80k. Every year I do a little more to her in the off season. Yes, the list yo do is long, but so are the winters here on Cape Cod. We have put several thousand miles under her keel, trips to places near and far. Sorry folks, they don't make em like they used to. You got one hell of a deal. Take your time, learn the systems and laugh all the way to the bank when you have an amazing ship to last another 40 years while paying less than a mid 80's Catalina with better looks. Think Hinkley without the sucker punch to the wallet.

What hull number?

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Alberg 37 #162
Outdoorrecmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 22:57   #51

Thought it's time to post a little update on my Alberg 37 project. This summer I removed the engine at the boat yard, Cleaned the boat inside and out, applied new bottom paint and towed the boat home to my marina in Hudson (FL). I used my Tartan 27 to tow the Alberg. The Tartan (it's now sold) had a 14HP Yanmar diesel and had no problem to tow the 37 foot Alberg almost 200 miles. Took 4 days and was very relaxing. I just finished rebuilding the engine (Perkins 4-107). The whole rebuilt cost me less than 1200.00. That's all new parts, so basically I have a brand new engine now. And no, Westebeke does NOT built this motor. Westerbeke is just a horrible overpriced marinizing company. Buying parts from them get's you broke quick and only idiots would do that. Westerbeke is good with hiding the origin of the engines they use. Fact is most of the sailboat diesels are just regular tractor or generator engines. All parts for the engine I purchased from a company in England (Parts for Engines). They are great quality and very cheap.

Not for too long I'm ready to put the motor back into the boat. The soft spots on the deck are already fixed as well. All it took is some Resin injecting. Re coring a deck for some soft spots is idiotic and doesn't do anything better. Besides wasting time and money. I've done it to many other sailboats and so do many other boat owners as well. Never had a problem. But I guess there are always some who have to make a science out of everything. I'm practical and have many years experience with boat repairs.

I don't know how some people come up with numbers like sinking 40k or more into a 37 foot sailboat. That's beyond my comprehension. Well, I guess if one is just too lazy or incompetent of doing the work themselves then it stacks up quick. I do have a friend who sunk already more than 30k into a 30 foot Catalina that's still only worth about 6-8k. But he does make many mistakes and ends up paying others large amounts to correct the problems. I know because I'm repairing his engine too, after it was already rebuilt not too long ago. So here are some of the answers to why some people go broke over restoring boats.

People, the bottom line is it's not rocket science. It's a sailboat, made out of basic materials like Fiberglass, wood and some metals. They are cheap to own and maintain. That's why most sailboats are in the water compare to most power boats sitting in backyards and rotting. By the time My Alberg 37 is done the way I want it I will have no more than 10k invested. So I will have a 37 foot boat with a brand new motor for much less than 20k. So you all do the math.

Thank you for reading and if I'm able to upload some pics on the progress I will do so.
Old 13-10-2015, 06:09   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
How much does that free boat cost? A lot.
Wise words that made me laugh out loud.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 06:50   #53
cruiser

Well, this thread was a good read. A good boat found a good owner. I love a happy ending!

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 09:01   #54

Glad you are well on your way to having a boat you can use!
Are your rigging and sails good?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 10:26   #55

Boat: Clark, San Juan 30

Great Story

I did the same thing Bought a 30' Clark San Juan #310 out of 360. I completely rebuilt the Boat. Although Mine had all the rigging that was brand new 2 years old. But the boat was Gutted completely on the inside no Electronics. It had no engine but everything still there wiring harness etc.. So I got to put her together just how I wanted. It had new sails bought the same time as the rigging. My project on the Rebuild mainly was doing the Inside and a good cleaning on the outside. When I pulled her from the water I was a little shocked to see Kelp upwards to 10 feet long and Mussels all along the bottom. In Washington State they Charge an environmental fee they Pressured the bottom. and scraped it with Plastic putty knifes. After they had it all clean I was amazed at the condition of the bottom not even one ding keel skid on bottom of the Keel didn't even have a scratch no were there dings or chips sanded all the old bottom paint and had it redone by a pro. at 1100 just to paint it and over a grand to remove it so at 3k for the bottom to be done. I was on my way My self being an Engineer.

(Sorry for the spelling errors I always had the girls do English for me because I hated it)

So I sat with my wife and we planed the Salon and Galley so she would be happy Sailing She is a Master SooS' Chef she works for a Master Chef his right hand so while sailing I have my own private Chef Very nice thing to have while crusing she can Make anything. So after weeks of labor instructing someone how to do it I am disabled so couldn't do it myself and added cost for labor. But worth it I got to tell him exactly how I wanted thing to be done. And changed if I didn't like how it looked so that was 15000 so now I have 18000 in it with no engine I bought a 9.9 High thrust Yamaha for something to get me out of the slip. Now currently getting ready to install a 27 hp Yanmar diesel I found for 1200 with 600 hrs on it just getting broke in. I put about 4500 on electronics' so currently have a total of about 25000 but Have pretty much a brand new Boat. I wanted a good Sail Boat to cruz Puget sound and the Gulf Island since I Live right on the Georgia Strait So I would Say have Fun and put her together how you want you will enjoy it much more the having someone else's job they did. I love my Boat and use it every day I can all year long. I kinda like the Snow sailing it is actually pretty fun except when the lines freeze that's a little of a problem but I make do and take her home for the day Enjoy and Do what makes You Happy and don't worry about what anyone Says if you want to do it DO IT. I hope your Boat is one of the best in your Marina when you are done Have Fun. S/V UsCa
Chevy1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 22:18   #56

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by teuton7 View Post
Thought it's time to post a little update on my Alberg 37 project. This summer I removed the engine at the boat yard, Cleaned the boat inside and out, applied new bottom paint and towed the boat home to my marina in Hudson (FL). I used my Tartan 27 to tow the Alberg. The Tartan (it's now sold) had a 14HP Yanmar diesel and had no problem to tow the 37 foot Alberg almost 200 miles. Took 4 days and was very relaxing. I just finished rebuilding the engine (Perkins 4-107). The whole rebuilt cost me less than 1200.00. That's all new parts, so basically I have a brand new engine now. And no, Westebeke does NOT built this motor. Westerbeke is just a horrible overpriced marinizing company. Buying parts from them get's you broke quick and only idiots would do that. Westerbeke is good with hiding the origin of the engines they use. Fact is most of the sailboat diesels are just regular tractor or generator engines. All parts for the engine I purchased from a company in England (Parts for Engines). They are great quality and very cheap.

Not for too long I'm ready to put the motor back into the boat. The soft spots on the deck are already fixed as well. All it took is some Resin injecting. Re coring a deck for some soft spots is idiotic and doesn't do anything better. Besides wasting time and money. I've done it to many other sailboats and so do many other boat owners as well. Never had a problem. But I guess there are always some who have to make a science out of everything. I'm practical and have many years experience with boat repairs.

I don't know how some people come up with numbers like sinking 40k or more into a 37 foot sailboat. That's beyond my comprehension. Well, I guess if one is just too lazy or incompetent of doing the work themselves then it stacks up quick. I do have a friend who sunk already more than 30k into a 30 foot Catalina that's still only worth about 6-8k. But he does make many mistakes and ends up paying others large amounts to correct the problems. I know because I'm repairing his engine too, after it was already rebuilt not too long ago. So here are some of the answers to why some people go broke over restoring boats.

People, the bottom line is it's not rocket science. It's a sailboat, made out of basic materials like Fiberglass, wood and some metals. They are cheap to own and maintain. That's why most sailboats are in the water compare to most power boats sitting in backyards and rotting. By the time My Alberg 37 is done the way I want it I will have no more than 10k invested. So I will have a 37 foot boat with a brand new motor for much less than 20k. So you all do the math.

Thank you for reading and if I'm able to upload some pics on the progress I will do so.
Thanks for the update, I think it is really helpful and instructive. While I know there are nightmare stories of folks pouring tons of money that "they never will get back," it is helpful to remember that there are stories out there like yours. Your story shows the importance of developing skills in repair and maintenance and of self-reliance and practical problem-solving, and in being able to see a boat and its costs on your own, without too much help from a surveyor. You are right that many folks turn to professionals to repair and maintain their boats, and though that is fine, it gets expensive. I'd only add that the network of boating friends can also make everything more affordable too. In my network we have a mechanic friend who recently rebuilt an engine for another for cost. I am helping a friend this weekend haul out his boat to replace a through-hull and paint it... as just another example. But also that particular boat, the Alberg, is worthy of rescuing I think, even if a buyer spent three times what you had. As someone pointed out, try to buy a hull like that brand new.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 08:59   #57

I think everyone's opinion on when their boat is "acceptable " is different.
For instance, the update says: " I just finished rebuilding the engine (Perkins 4-107). The whole rebuilt cost me less than 1200.00. That's all new parts, so basically I have a brand new engine now."
What does that really mean? I doubt the injection pump is new as I suspect one would run maybe $800? alone, A decent head rebuild is probably $600....
Are the sails in good shape? The rigging over 15 years old? Has the rudder been rebuilt? many are water logged. etc etc.
I know this, I put $30k in a new 31 footer in 1981 dollars finishing it and outfitting it!

Old 05-05-2016, 07:30   #58

Hello everybody. Time for some updates with my Alberg 37 project. The engine is installed and running great. I got a set of sails (for free). The interior is about 90% redone. For the most part just needed a good cleaning. Now I'm working on installing the steering pedestal and engine controls. Should be done within one weekend.

It always amazes me that no matter how nice something can turn out, there will always be somebody who has to see it in the most negative way. Is it just jealousy?

My friend, please understand I'm a professional automotive technician with many years of experience. I rebuilt a Perkins tractor engine blind folded. And why are you trying to pick it all apart? You just toss scattered info into the room. You talk about one of the most simple injector pumps like it's rocket science. First off those pumps are dirt cheap to rebuilt. It doesn't take any special tool or even much skills. But even if you would spend 600.00 on a rebuilt one what would be the big deal? People spend more than that on a set of tires for their compact cars. So why can't you just enjoy the fact that there are people who actually get things done?

At least most people on here are positive and have vision where this is going. The bottom line is that after a few month of work my boat is almost ready for the first sailing trip. And as far as what this project has cost me so far, I can say less that 3000.00

By the time I'm all done I won't have more that 10.000 in the whole boat. So to all you who have to put everything down, go try to find a seaworthy Alberg 37 for under 10.000

And if you do, please tell me where because I buy it on the spot.

I wish you all a great day
Old 05-05-2016, 07:56   #59

I think it's very cool that things are working out for you! I (we?) often error to the cautious side, because there are many boat projects out there sitting and rotting due to people not understanding how much work it all is! You are the exception and that is great. It has been two years so far since you asked about the boat. Got any new pics? How are those decks looking?

Old 05-05-2016, 12:14   #60

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

great...pictures please...lots...

Tags
alberg