If I understand correctly, to buy the boat
1. You pay a 10% deposit to the seller or broker.
2. The seller will pay to have a survey on the boat.
3. If the survey shows a problem with the boat and you decide not to buy then you lose the deposit?
If this is the case I would not do the deal. What if the survey shows a major problem with the boat? What if the seller lied about the condition of the boat or engine
? I would demand a contract
that allows you to cancel the deal and the seller refund your deposit if the survey showed problems with the boat.
I do not know the standard procedure in Europe
to buy a boat but in the US it goes.
1. The buyer agrees to buy the boat and seller usually requires a deposit.
2. The buyer pays for a survey of the boat.
3. If the survey shows a problem the buyer and seller can renegotiate the price
or the seller can agree to fix some or all of the problems found in the survey.
4. If the buyer and seller cannot agree after the survey then the buyer can cancel the deal and the deposit will be returned.