Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:09   #1

Boat: Ta Chiao CT 41
Advise for a newly purchased 1976 Ta Chiao

Hello all,
This is the first post of many I think. My Girlfriend and I are in the process of purchasing our first boat, a 1976 Ta Chiao CT 41. The boat is in relatively good condition, except for some issues for which this post is made. She is currently in Martha's Vineyard, and we will move her to NYC in the spring to Live aboard in August after we get some of the issues dealt with.

The following are the major issues we see having to deal with, and for which we are asking the advise:

1. Deck repair. There are several places where water has gone through the deck and areas that either need new glass or new wood or both. They are relatively isolated so I believe we don't have to replace the whole of or major parts of the deck. I am asking for advise from people who have encountered similar problems with they're decks and how they handled those issues.

2. Instruments. The boat has nothing except for a transducer for a depth sounder, but no gauges. I am asking for advise as to where are the best places to purchase second hand electronics, and advise as to the best path to choose. As in all garmin, mix and match and just hope all NMEA 2k compatible...

3. Heat, hot water, ac, and refrigeration. The yacht has had these systems before. It has a wall mount propane heater, and propane stove, however it does not have an ABYC approved set up for these systems. As in a propane locker, runs to appliances without fittings... I would like to change heat over to diesel radiant that would double as domestic hot water, as well as change stove oven combo to diesel. Webasto seems to have a system that can handle this as well as be able to plumb ac in the heating system. Thoughts and advise on these ideas from people who have done similar conversions. propane seems like it will be more work than this conversion, or maybe I am just making more work for myself.

4. Booms. The masts and rigging have been replaced with aluminum and stainless, but the booms are original wood and a little rotted. I can fix, but I know I'll have to replace eventually. Can anyone recommend a place to pick up new aluminum booms on the cheap?

There are more issues but these seem to be the most pressing for us right now. I can do basically all this work, because I am a recent Landing School graduate and an ABYC certified Master technician in Diesel, Electrical, and systems, but this is my first boat. I need advise from you old salts out there. Thank you very much and I look forward to your responses.

Yuri
Thalassaphilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:15   #2

Re: Advise for a newly purchased 1976 Ta Chiao

I would be checking salvage sites form Hurricane damage etc for booms. Most can be cut down shorter if necessary.
Those old CT 41 and similar versions are cool boats,but beware that the cabins and sometimes decks are ply that almost always rots. If your cabin hasnt been rebuilt check it out closely. Big, Big job.
Diesel cookstoves make a lot of soot, require a big stack and will make the boat hot except in winter. They work best if just left on like the fisherman in Alaska do etc.
Depth sounders are cheap new. That is your most important instrument to start likely. Even a fish finder like a hummingbird works pretty well and can be had new on ebay for $100 etc. If you can live with a GPS that is just LAt and Lon instead of a plotter type display, good ones go cheap on Ebay also. Raytheon/Garmin etc. Everybody wants the fancy stuff now days. Even some of the older garmin display types are cheap.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassaphilia View Post
I can do basically all this work, because I am a recent Landing School graduate and an ABYC certified Master technician in Diesel, Electrical, and systems, but this is my first boat.
I was about to come in here and tell you that I hope you know what you're doing, but it sure sounds like you do.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 13:06   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sounds like the boat was a salvage job in her past. inspect the beam onto which your mizzen steps. i t runs transversely across under the bulkhead supporting aft most portion of coach house. i placed a compression post under mine for mizzen step support. check fro foredeck backing plate. mine was rotted and delaminated nicely. sounds like you have it pretty well figgered. welcome to leaky teaky ownership. enjoy your awesome fun boat.
you will enjoy cruising her.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase