Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 11:40   #1

Advice on game plan for cruising

Hi All,

After a year or so of passively reading other posts I'm now writing for advice. I live in Cape Town with my wife and 2 young kids. We are novice at best and own our own small 33ft sailboat. Family loves a floating home and I will happily go along with anything to make the dream happen.

We can afford around 50k US$ and I am considering buying a 42ft Bruce Roberts spray gaff riff as it's in our price range and available locally. Plan is to spend 3 months a year in Bahamas/ carribean storing the vessel in Florida while we are back home working and schooling the kids.

1) where is the cheapest/ safest place to keep the vessel while in Florida when we're away(swing mooring possibly)?
2) is it possible to find a 50+Ft ketch rig in good condition under 50k us$? Or should I go for the local option and do what I need to do to make it viable for my situation locally and sail it across?

Wife loves beamy boats and not interested in any sort of sailing ability. I do care about sailing as I love it but speed not an issue. Kids will need space as we will be home schooling for the few months we are aboard and I would like everyone to really enjoy it even if my desires comes last. Being able to experience it all and give myself and family the opportunity in any boat really will be more than sufficient for me.

Any advice welcome.

Please bear in mind advice needs to keep in mind thefact that we don't have unlimited funds or ability to fly all over the world looking at boats. The South African Rand has totally plummeted in the last few years putting our preparations and planning in dire straights but we are stulll pushing for the dream.

Any and all advice to the above is more than welcome.
rykie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, game