Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2010, 04:01   #1

Advice Needed - Buying First Boat

I'm very new to sailing, been doing lessons last 3 months or so with 2 friends on a J-24.

We're thinking about getting a cheap, less than $15,000, cruiser thats capable of holding her own in local races, for more practice, fun, cruising around sydney bays, occasional trips up down the coast (if we ever feel brave enough)

Other requirements are that it must be a monohull, should be able to accommodate 4-6 adults for a day in reasonable comfort, have a keel and be easy to handle. My missus wants the luxuries of a toilet and an espresso machine (obviously the latter will have to be an after-market add-on )

I'm thinking about something less than 30 feet, like a Hutton 28, Pacific 27, Endeavor 26/27 or Marauder 27. See my problem? too much choice, not enough experience... Endeavors are popular with the local yacht club

I would welcome advice, suggestions, opinions, anything that'll help me make a good choice.

Cheers
jack.sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 05:25   #2

I realised that i should mention perhaps that I live in Sydney, Australia
jack.sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 05:30   #3

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Nothing wrong in going with what is popular at the local club. It will make racing a lot more fun and you will have lots of help available when you need advice on how to fix something. Should also be easier to sell when the missus wants a shower and refrigeration as well on your next boat

Find out who the "Dock Elder" is of the Endeavor owners is. You know, the guy everyone goes to for advice on these boats. Buy him a drink, pick his brain and offer to take him along when you go to look at a few boats for sale.

Have fun!!
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 08:35   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I second Paul's advice. Sometimes the best deals are had when you're buying from within. And the other boat owners will be more willing to lend a hand once they see that you're keeping their fleet active.