Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 11:39   #31

Boat: Formosa/Peterson 46 Cutter
Re: Advantages of a Center Cockpit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The wisdom of the old saying:

"Two heads are better than one."

I'm on the same page as you are on this one! Too funny, used to be hard core one head is enough but that was when we were sailing a Lancer 44 motorsailor with one long luxious head across from the mid stateroom. Too close for comfort if you ask me. And one works if the other one doesn't a BIG plus in an open ocean! Our boat heads are not the lux size models but completely functional and big enough. As for our own heads (I thought I'd better clarify...an old R. Crumb quote, "the captain whose mind was blown.." then there's his mate who is equally certifiable
19 and counting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:44   #32

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 and counting View Post
I'm on the same page as you are on this one! Too funny, used to be hard core one head is enough but that was when we were sailing a Lancer 44 motorsailor with one long luxious head across from the mid stateroom. Too close for comfort if you ask me. And one works if the other one doesn't a BIG plus in an open ocean! Our heads are not the lux size models but completely functional and big enough.
Correcto, nothing wrong with having a spare head ....also with mine the frd one has full unobstructed headroom ...so is the better shower space.... the aft one has a bit of the aft corner of the cockpit side bench intruding so not quite as good.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:56   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One aspect that comes out clearly here is that the people who take crew REALLY LIKE having two heads. I could imagine that some couples would concur. However, one head to keep going is plenty, imho. Many of the CC boats aft cabins that I have been in do not have an opening hatch to ventilate the berth, which is a downside to me, but in reality, you'll want to add fans for all berths, anyway, so may not be too much of a problem.

The fwd hatch should be placed about 3 feet or more from where the heads of the sleeping people will be, for maximum ventilation, and many AC boats don't have them located correctly for ventilation, either. All those compromises!

Ann
Old 04-12-2014, 12:50   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On my (future) Center Cockpit boat ( ) I intend to have the aft "masters" cabin set up with multiple portlights (with screens) a large hatch (with wind scoop and screen) that has a dome on it and TWO dorade vents with BIG cowls adjusted for maximum air flow while at anchor or while underway. And there will be fans too…along with a tall glass of iced tea and a good book waiting for me on the berth below. That's how I see it.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 13:08   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like Center Cockpit boats almost as much as I like Pilot House boats (seriously).

And some CC boats are among my favorites, so I tend to look for them.

While looking for boats as yet unknown to me, I came across one that caught my eye because it is….unusual (not the type I usually look for). Those would be the Parker Dawson 25 Midship and the S2 26CC. Those are a bit smaller than I want for myself, and the styling is not to my taste.

And then I came across a nice Hallberg Rassy 64. It is a bit larger than I want. Then there is the Shannon 51CC.

I will post a photo or two just to show that the CC concept does encompass many types of boats intended for different markets and price points and uses.

From my POV, the CC concept looks better as the boats get bigger.
Old 04-12-2014, 13:28   #36

Boat: Brewer 12.8, 42'

Take a look at a Brewer 12.8. It is 42' long. It is a very pretty Ted Brewer design. Practical Sailor speaks very well of it. The center cockpit with a full enclosure makes a huge additional room and is a great place to be on a chilly overnight. The engine room is a joy to work in. The aft cabin can be accessed from both the main cabin through a passage way and via a companionway from the cockpit. The passageway has a large chart storage area and drawers and compartments for tool storage. It carries 120 gallons of fuel and 200 of water. Stowage is abundant. Most importantly , it sails very well and is well built. There is a very active owners association.
jcdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 14:35   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I like Center Cockpit boats almost as much as I like Pilot House boats (seriously).

And some CC boats are among my favorites, so I tend to look for them.

While looking for boats as yet unknown to me, I came across one that caught my eye because it is….unusual (not the type I usually look for). Those would be the Parker Dawson 25 Midship and the S2 26CC. Those are a bit smaller than I want for myself, and the styling is not to my taste.

And then I came across a nice Hallberg Rassy 64. It is a bit larger than I want. Then there is the Shannon 51CC.

I will post a photo or two just to show that the CC concept does encompass many types of boats intended for different markets and price points and uses.

From my POV, the CC concept looks better as the boats get bigger.
Unfortunately my internet connection is spotty today, so I could not upload the photos intended to accompany the remarks quoted above.

My main point is that oftentimes criticisms of boat types are generalized and the critic may have valid points that apply to the boat they have seen or have in mind, while others have very different boats in mind. I think it is best to post photos to illustrate the specific boat being criticized, as some generalizations are too broad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parker Dawson Midship 25CC.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	92965   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2 26CC 1976.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	92966  

Name:	S2 26CC.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	92967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Cockpit BIG BOAT.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	92968  

Name:	cruising-sailboat-center-cockpit-teak-deck-20232-4423677.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	92969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shannon 51CC.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	92970  

Old 04-12-2014, 16:52   #38

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
On my (future) Center Cockpit boat ( ) I intend to have the aft "masters" cabin set up with multiple portlights (with screens) a large hatch (with wind scoop and screen) that has a dome on it and TWO dorade vents with BIG cowls adjusted for maximum air flow while at anchor or while underway. And there will be fans too…along with a tall glass of iced tea and a good book waiting for me on the berth below. That's how I see it.
Your post makes me want to get our boat out winter storage and spend a little relaxing time in our aft cabin! Ours is just like you described but the dome in the hatch! We bought our boat used and the previous owner had a car type stereo that controlled a multiple CD changer next to the bed in the aft cabin. I removed them and replaced the CD changer with a black Starboard shelf/box that incorporates a place to store my wallet/keys and plug in a phone charger and the end closest to me is perfect to keep a water (iced tea) glass secure but in close reach, and I replaced the old stereo with a new car stereo that came with a little remote controller that I keep velcro'd just above our heads when in bed, and since the newer car stereos have bluetooth, without even rolling over in bed we turn it on and listen to Pandora or our iTunes music, a very relaxing place to hang out!

If the boat is big enough to comfortably fit them in, two heads ARE better than one, and preferably both with separate shower stalls. I love having a separate, private, head and shower just for my wife and I adjacent to our aft cabin, with the forward head being the one used by forward cabin guests and everyone else during the day. While offshore and when weather gear">foul weather gear is being used, its shower stall will become a wet locker where foulies quickly dry out and become toasty warm due to the Webasto diesel heater outlet in that shower stall. On my last boat, an aft cockpit 44' sloop, I felt the opposite and actually removed a head from underneath a small settee in the forward master cabin. That boat had one very nice head at the foot of the companionway, centrally located in the boat so I felt it was enough. But that head also had a nice, separate shower stall and I plumbed in an Espar heater outlet, which made it SO much more comfortable to use and a great place to dry out the off watch foulies.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 17:12   #39

Boat: Tayana 47

I actually looked at a Brewer 12.8 a couple years ago and thought it was a great boat but the particular one we saw had been overly "customized" in a way that didn't appeal to us by a previous owner. I just spent a few minutes checking out the Peterson/Formosas available on Yachtworld and thinking about both of these great boats make me wonder why more people don't choose to live aboard. Either of these boats can be cruised to anywhere in the world in comfort and safety and they'd both be comfortable enough to use as a dockside "condo" for someone who can't afford city rents or who just wants something a little different. Very nicely equipped versions of either of these boats seem to be available for under $100K and when you compare that with most city condo's (or small homes in rural areas) you can buy for that money, I have to wonder WHY don't more people opt for the liveaboard lifestyle with a chance for a little adventure thrown into the equation?!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 17:14   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am with Ann on this personal choice... I also like AC when Med docking as you can better see and help with the stern tie.

One of my favorite features of my layout is a "walk in" aft cockpit

It keeps the crew's feet on deck when moving about in a seaway
Very nice!

Your Med-docking comment is very valid. Not sure how we will handle it. Its a long way to the stern - but an easy sprint. We have two heavy winches on the cockpit aft rail so pre-set stern lines might prove easy to sheet.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 17:38   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am sure it will not be a problem as you are really setting your bow mooring first to hold by idling astern before you secure the first stern line... shut down, then adjust by winches alone

I think where my AC helps is more on departure when short handed as you can retrieve stern lines and get to helm a bit quicker.

If tight or with a cross wind..... I like to cross and lengthen my stern lines so I can slowly pull fwd and clear my neighbors before letting go.

Nice and easy always works best.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 18:45   #42

Boat: 55 fleming

All other things being equal a center cockpit boat will have a better living arrangement because the aft cabin provides privacy and a better berth at anchor or dock. You will want a good dodger and forward cockpit protection as you will get more spray when no the wind. Also you normally have better engine access for maintenance.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 19:07   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Wesevans... That is the beauty of boats.....things are never equal but a tradeoff for any given size.

In the 55-65ft mono length you can have the choice of a high center cockpit or a 4 step down into a low profile pilot house.

My aft cabin is incredibly generous with queen and pilot berth, private office and ample storage for parts/files/hanging lockers and inside access to a large lazarette.

By stepping down into the pilothouse I then have only 4 steps down to accommodation either fwd or aft rather than steep 8 steps that I have seen on CC's.

I personally like that.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 21:16   #44

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I only have 4 steps down into my saloon but then she isn't wedding caked...see pic. I think she looks quite sleek

Also attached is a photo looking frd from the stateroom entrance... headroom in that doorway is a bit low as its still under the cockpit sidebench but you learn to duck... as said above..there is always a compromise somewhere. Standing headroom once in the aft cabin.
This is a 12 yo photo....there is now a lot more 'stuff' on that 'shelf'. .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Walkway.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	92989   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000278.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	92991  

Old 04-12-2014, 21:25   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

What a lovely photo, Frank! But mate, I looked and looked and couldn't find any coco palms on shore... not my kinda cruising ground! No crocs, either, so I guess it has its advantages.

And I agree, your c/c boat is much better proportioned than most!

Jim

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit